Oil Reccomendation for 2018 Audi S5

Hello everyone,

I appreciated the advice you gave me last time I asked about oil for my wife's, lightly-modified, 2018 Forester XT so now I am here to ask the same question about the 2018 Audi S5 Sportback I just picked up. This car has the newer, turbo-charged V6 and calls for some specialty oil. I will daily drive the car and am planning on driving it hard occasionally on twisty back roads including a track day or two every year. I am contemplating minor engine modifications while maintaining the factory and CPO warranty such as a removable JB4 piggyback or APR Plus tune with maybe an intake or intercooler in addition to some handling and cosmetic modifications. Might go with additional engine mods in the future like turbo-back exhaust or even a larger turbo, but I might just upgrade the an RS5 Sportback instead.

What are some different oils I could use at different price levels and for the different levels of modifications? For reference, the factory 0W20 from the dealer is $7.13/quart with another $26 for the filter, drain plug and crush washer.

Thank you,

Matt

It calls for VW508. There are not many choices out in the market yet and the dealer oil will be some of the cheapest anyway.

A lot of people are going to tell you to switch it to VW504 spec. Which is completely fine and is also good oil. It will reduce your fuel economy a bit.

Hello everyone,

I appreciated the advice you gave me last time I asked about oil for my wife's, lightly-modified, 2018 Forester XT so now I am here to ask the same question about the 2018 Audi S5 Sportback I just picked up. This car has the newer, turbo-charged V6 and calls for some specialty oil. I will daily drive the car and am planning on driving it hard occasionally on twisty back roads including a track day or two every year. I am contemplating minor engine modifications while maintaining the factory and CPO warranty such as a removable JB4 piggyback or APR Plus tune with maybe an intake or intercooler in addition to some handling and cosmetic modifications. Might go with additional engine mods in the future like turbo-back exhaust or even a larger turbo, but I might just upgrade the an RS5 Sportback instead.

What are some different oils I could use at different price levels and for the different levels of modifications? For reference, the factory 0W20 from the dealer is $7.13/quart with another $26 for the filter, drain plug and crush washer.

Thank you,

Matt
It calls for VW508. There are not many choices out in the market yet and the dealer oil will be some of the cheapest anyway.

A lot of people are going to tell you to switch it to VW504 spec. Which is completely fine and is also good oil. It will reduce your fuel economy a bit.
What ^he said. Switch to VW 504.00/507.00 for regular use/hard driving.
If you going to track vehicle than go XW40 something very stout. Mobil1 0W40 FS is not really good option for DI engines, but would do good on track or Motul 5W40 SPort, or even better 300V.

If warranty is out of play I'd opt for the VW 504 also. You can get either from your dealer pretty cheap, or Napa on sale from time to time, otherwise both VW 504 and VW 508 are not common over the counter but can easily be found on line.

If you are close to a dealer it really is your easiest and usually cheapest option. I get VW OEM from my dealer for about 6 bucks a quart if I purchase on line and then swing by and pick up. Napa sales are also usually 6 bucks a quart but you have to watch for the sale.

VW OEM 504

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-070416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-070416_Chrome.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 59
Rock Auto has a Hengst oil filter for less than half the dealer price. Hengst might even be the OE supplier :)

Amazon has Valvoline Euro 0w20 that's 508/509 for about a dollar less than your dealer price. If you decide to use 405, you have a lot more options and at a better price, such as PP Euro L from Walmart.

@slacktide_bitog
Unfortunately Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (5W-30) only carries the following approvals Merc-229.31/229.51, BMW-LL-04 and GM-dexos2 and certifications SN and C3. It does not carry VW504.

Good to know about the Hengst and Valvoline 508/509.

@slacktide_bitog
Unfortunately Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (5W-30) only carries the following approvals Merc-229.31/229.51, BMW-LL-04 and GM-dexos2 and certifications SN and C3. It does not carry VW504.

Good to know about the Hengst and Valvoline 508/509.

oops :oops:

I thought for sure it was 504/507, sorry :cry:

DO not compare two different grades. That is not how specifications and Lubrizol relative performance tool works.
My interpretation and as been discussed here in the past is "not to compare between specifications as in dexos vs Mercedes etc". Within specifications (VW vs VW or ACEA v ACEA), as shown in the example, is fine. It says nothing about viscosity...

1607973939627.png

Last edited:
My interpretation and as been discussed here in the past is "not to compare between specifications as in dexos vs Mercedes etc". Within specifications (VW vs VW or ACEA v ACEA), as shown in the example, is fine. It says nothing about viscosity...

View attachment 36878
I think Lubrizol is pretty clear not to compare specifications.
Viscosity should not be compared as wear and other requirements are specific to specification.
)W20 and 0W30 5W30 you are comparing there will perform differently.

I’d run this. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-oil-change-kit-0w-20-liqui-moly-06m198405fkt

German oil, licensed and approved for 508. On a newer car I wouldn’t worry too much about increasing viscosity for performance driving unless you have a valid reason such as hot oil pressure or OE recommendations. Your going to be doing infrequent driver education track days, and likely not taking the car to competitive driving limits on aggressive tires. However - if your significantly increase power and torque through tuning... your generating more heat and more forces on engine bearings. I would switch to a 504 lube if your going to track with a tuned engine and change it twice as often as recommended my Audi.

tip with FCP Euro, take advantage of their lifetime warranty on fluids. I’ve only paid return shipping for Motul RBF660 brake fluid! That stuff is $60/L!

Back