.22 conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
For guns like glock or sig, are they useful, do they work well, or are they a waste of time? I like the cost of .22, but the kits are expensive. Are some kits or conversions for some brands of guns better than others? Any aspects that should be looked for as a sign of being better/worse?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For guns like glock or sig, are they useful, do they work well, or are they a waste of time? I like the cost of .22, but the kits are expensive. Are some kits or conversions for some brands of guns better than others? Any aspects that should be looked for as a sign of being better/worse?

Thanks!

Pardon... but conversion from what?

I have an ALL METAL KWA (KSC? Whichever one was "better") CO2 Full-frame Glock 17. Is this what you were referring to for .22 Conversion?

Really. Its all metal (polymer) frame, and it has "CO2 innards" but IIRC it can be done......... Shoot, i can get a slide that says "Glock" on it and it will fit. I could even attach a Light to the front, it has that attachment cut-out..

If your implying on the conversion kits you can purchase they are a waste of time.. What is your intention other than cost ? You can purchase a 22 pistol of decent to great quality (and even better than that is you go the used route) for the cost of teh conversion kit... then you also get to use the 22lr ammo at a low cost as well in your 22 pistol.

Conversion kits are not the best thing at all.. many times you will need to work kinks out, and then you have specialized magazines, and even at that they will be very picky with ammo after you have done all of this work. The most popular conversion kit are for 1911 frame, and even at that they are highly machined/engineered in order to bring the two together.

The only reason people buy a conversion is like you say for cheaper ammo, but the original intent of this was for practice on your pistol that you were shooting in competition. Another note is that Kimber started building 22 LR pistols on the 1911 frame which was a advantage for those that like the 1911 frame etc...

Now if you really want to get the best bang for the buck load your own rounds, a bit of a learning curve, and some investment, but for pistol ammo you can crank out ammo cheap.. then you have the 9mm round which is really cheap to purchase in bulk even at walmart you can purchase 9mm cheap.

So in my opinion, and experience 22lr conversion kits have a lot of disadvantages, and only one advantage.. You can practice with your own gun is the advantage... disadvantages inaccurate, unreliable, picky with ammo, specialized magazines/parts etc, possible (read probable tuning) by yourself, and very expensive on those that are marketed for accuracy, and expensive enough for those deemed "shoot your pistol much cheaper" with this 22lr conversion kit still in the price of or more than a used Ruger 22LR

If you're trying to save money on the plinking range, buy a 22.

If you want to save money and stick with the caliber the gun came with, invest in some reloading equipment.

Thing is the range that is best and closest to me doesn't allow reloads. In NJ you need a separate purchase permit per pistol, so it is a bit of a pain... While a conversion doesn't need a purchase permit.

I do want an s&w 617 6" to shoot .22, but it would be nice to have multifunctional pistols that can be shot super cheap when desired and shot with real ammo the rest of the time.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

I have an ALL METAL KWA (KSC? Whichever one was "better") CO2 Full-frame Glock 17. Is this what you were referring to for .22 Conversion?

Really. Its all metal (polymer) frame, and it has "CO2 innards" but IIRC it can be done......... Shoot, i can get a slide that says "Glock" on it and it will fit. I could even attach a Light to the front, it has that attachment cut-out..

I'm not talking air guns. Im talking guns in 9mm, .40, .45, etc which with replacement of some parts can shoot .22.

Kind of like you can put a 9mm barrel in a .40 flock and it will make for cheaper shooting.

I know a guy with a sig 9mm, and the sig .22 conversion parts, he says both shoot flawlessly. I also know a girl with an STI competition .45 and a STI .22 conversion and she can out shoot anyone standing at the line with either.

I've found that .22lr conversions for the AR and 1911 seem to be the most reliable and accurate.

I've seen quite a few .22 kits for the Glocks that are not worth the money. They jam and IF they work, they are not accurate (I'm talking a 6 inch group at 50 FEET with the .22 and 2-3inch with the "normal" caliber in place)

Nothing beats a K22/M17, SingleSix or Ruger Mkii / Buckmark for .22lr use IMO. And dedicated .22lr AR uppers do have some advantages (but cost a LOT more) over conversion kits. But the paper work for another weapon is an issue that he has to worry about.

Just my 3 cents...

Bill

I don't see the need for a .22 conversion kit. Why? Well, I feel that you should shoot a gun with the ammo you will use for self defense. Shooting a .45 with .22's will not give you the same feel or experience as it will with .45's when you need it to save your life.

If you want to shoot .22 for cost reasons, by all means do so - but buy a nice little .22 pistol for the same cost as that conversion kit and *bonus* you get another gun in your collection.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

I'm not talking air guns. Im talking guns in 9mm, .40, .45, etc which with replacement of some parts can shoot .22.

Kind of like you can put a 9mm barrel in a .40 flock and it will make for cheaper shooting.

OK this may be OT and pardon me if it is.. but CAN you change an Air Gun into a .22?

This seems to be the place where people that KNOW the answer (not just kids talking about guns other people have, fish tales-type thing) would be.

I ask because mine has a "Real Glock Frame" the difference is in the uppers. Even to drop-free mag, push mag release and catch it as it slides out, IIRC, i dont have it in front of me i treat it as a real weapon, rarely ever shoot it (going on more than a year now..)

KWA?KSC Glock 17. Just wondering

As far as being outshot with conversion kits I just have never seen it... however I was putting over a thousand rounds down range each week using a S&W model 41 that is the Cadillac of 22lr target pistols... accuracy is of course in the eye of the beholder as to what is accurate. I like the S&W revolver based rimfires, but despise a revolver for 22lr plinking, target shooting for several reasons that are just what I hold to be "good" virtues in a pistol. First in a revolver you have 6 or more chambers in which each can never be the same, even though the barrel is where the bullet set in motion... different chamber pressures can alter accuracy.. I don't like the extra noise from a revolver although some of the finer made revolvers reduce the noise compared to some of the crude made revolvers not to mention the extra cleaning, powder spray, and even lead spray if the cylinder/timing/etc are not perfect.. even then you still get a decent amount... as well they are disadvantages to autos....

For the price, trouble, and aggravation dealing with a conversion kit it is well worth comparing this with the same in purchase, and registering/paperwork of a dedicated 22lr pistol.. and for the money you can buy a Ruger MK II target model which you will get a load of enjoyment from...

Thanks!

I use one of the Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kits for my Glock 23. The kit works flawlessly with Remington Golden bullets and has the exact same sights as the Glock upper.

Besides being inexpensive to shoot, it allows you to practice with the same sight picture and same trigger.

For $250, it's money well spent and I'd highly recommend the Advantage Arms kits.

You are exactly right about the .22 conversion giving you the same grip frame and trigger pull. It offers the closest feel to your primary defense weapon while allowing you to practice on the cheap with .22 LR ammunition.

Depending on where you live, you avoid the hassles some jurisdictions place on buying a new firearm. Because none of the components are firearms act controlled, you can buy the conversion direct through the mail without worrying about paperwork and waiting periods.

I have some friends with conversions for Colt(kimber conversion) and Sig pistols and both are pleased with them.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Can_Harry
You are exactly right about the .22 conversion giving you the same grip frame and trigger pull. It offers the closest feel to your primary defense weapon while allowing you to practice on the cheap with .22 LR ammunition.

While that is true, it's only true before you pull the trigger. I prefer to shoot with the same ammo that I am carrying with because, quite frankly, I feel it is correct to practice with the ammo you will be using to defend yourself. You need to learn the feel of your gun firing with the ammo designed for it. I doubt anybody will be using 22LR in their .45's for protection.

Just get another .22 for cheap plinking.

OK this may be OT and pardon me if it is.. but CAN you change an Air Gun into a .22?

This seems to be the place where people that KNOW the answer (not just kids talking about guns other people have, fish tales-type thing) would be.

I ask because mine has a "Real Glock Frame" the difference is in the uppers. Even to drop-free mag, push mag release and catch it as it slides out, IIRC, i dont have it in front of me i treat it as a real weapon, rarely ever shoot it (going on more than a year now..)

KWA?KSC Glock 17. Just wondering

You should NOT be able to convert a KSC G17 to a .22, or any other caliber firearm for that matter, as it would be a Federal offense to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back