$22 Catch Can!!! (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

So I'm off work for the next couple days for weekends I worked and I had nothing to do so my dad and I hopped in the truck and went to TSC (Tractor Supply Co. - Farm/hardware store)

While I was waiting for my dad to look at all his boring stuff I ventured down the isle that had a bunch of nylon/ABS fittings and came across the ones in the picture below to use as a catch can for my Cabriolets Breather hose.

The plastic says it can withstand temperatures in excess of 400oF so this is perfect for using it for a catch can.

It has an inlet side that directs the hot exaust gases into the center of the Stainless steel mesh screen and and out let that allows only stuff on the outside of the screen back out.

Below are some pictures... Let me know what you think. I'm gonna put it on the Cabriolet this weekend and go for a test drive to see how warm it gets, but I'm sure it will be fine. This will stop the oily residue from entering the air box and making a mess of the filter and the CIS Fuel pressure plate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The whole thing came as one piece except the white fittings, those were separate. The threads are 3/4" and the hose end of the fittings are also 3/4" (For my application) but you can get it to fit PCV hoses too!

I was really impressed that I could find something so cheap that fits the application perfectly, is easy to drain and can withstand the heat from the crankcase gases...

I lucked out today!
grin2.gif

If the $10 ones everyone else uses will stand up to engine bay and pcv heat that one should have no problem. Looks neat.

I will post pictures of it on the cars engine and I will take the car for good long run to see the temperature of it with my thermometer laser gun thingy.

This is the cheapest setup I could come up with from off the shelf stuff. I have been to hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona etc...

It's easy to drain too.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
This is the cheapest setup I could come up with from off the shelf stuff. I have been to hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Rona etc...

The cheapest you could put together would still be the air tool filter and two brass barb fittings but I do like the look of yours.

Must be a Canadian thing. Down here they're $10 at the store and maybe $1 per fitting. I do like the screen yours has though although I prefer mine that have the clear bottle so you can see what its catching.

Yeah we get gouged on a lot of things up here... I cross the border to buy my auto parts. When I needed brakes it was going to cost over $400 for everything and I got it all for $228 US! I only live 40 minutes from the border so it's handy...

I never thought about picking up a dryer for a catch can from the US, and this was kinda an impulse buy because I was so impressed with the setup and the availability...

I agree that a clear bottle would be nice, but this car doesn't get driven too much and it's very easy to get to, to empty and/or have a look at...

I might put a clear bottle on the one I put on my Santa Fe if I do it... I could probably find a jar that would thread into the top portion. Especially because space it tight at the back of the engine where the breather hose is.

I really like the size of the screen in this one... I can't wait to see how this unit performs.
grin2.gif

cheers3.gif

I have looked. The cheapest one I can find is $35.00 even for the all plastic ones...
grin2.gif

I got my large Kobalt one at Lowes for $20 It's all aluminum, except for the bowl.

so do you dump out whatever this can catches? or is it oil that you simply put back in the engine through the filler?

Does this gadget keep the plennum clean or something?

I like the idea, and the cost, but unless I am missing something, I do not see a lot of oil dropping out of the air stream here.
Let us know how it works, as I have an LS6 that would enjoy this

Steve

I fail to see how the oil will be separated from the air stream as the gentlemen above pointed out.You have to force the oil mist/air through the mesh and the fresh/clean air back to the intake.
100_1093.jpg

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
I fail to see how the oil will be separated from the air stream as the gentlemen above pointed out.You have to force the oil mist/air through the mesh and the fresh/clean air back to the intake.
100_1093.jpg

Thaaaat is an AWSOME looking motor!!

Just so everyones clear...

The breather hose that runs from the valve cover to the air box on my '89 Cabriolet coats the air box, filter and CIS Fuel pressure plate in an oil residue over time. This eventually makes it's way up to the Throttle body as well. I know it's coming from this breather hose because the inside of the hose is moist with oil.

I'm putting the catch can in between the valve cover and the air box. This will direct the hot oily residue into the catch can inside the stainless steel wire mesh. Hitting the mesh should cause it to cool and condense somewhat, letting only air/other gases not containing oils back into the air box via the outlet on the outside of the wire mesh.

In the top part of the catch can, there is a divider that doesn't allow the gases to pass from the inlet to the outlet without first directing them into the center of the wire mesh.

When the can gets full I will dump it into a waste oil container I have and take it to my recycling depot.

It's a PITA to clean the throttle body, air plate, air box and replace the filter once a year when I could easily take care of it with this and delay it for a couple of years...

Does this make it more clear for everyone?

In my Santa Fe, when I put it there I will be adding a "T" to the inlet side so both my Breather & PCV hoses are vented into the Inlet side of the catch can. I will put a check valve on the breather hose so that the gases from the PCV don't float back into the crank case through the breather hose. The outlet will be going to the throttle body as it does now so that it's vented back into the engine.

Although in 170K KM of driving I have only had to clean the throttle body once and it wasn't even that bad, just a touch of residue. Even the plenum was very clean as seen when I removed it to change my spark plugs. So I'm not sure if I will catch anything...
grin2.gif

grin2.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand

For maximum extraction sure but gravity still does a lot of the work for you. I took the filter out of my catch can and its still collecting just as much as it was before.

Just so everyones clear...

The breather hose that runs from the valve cover to the air box on my '89 Cabriolet coats the air box, filter and CIS Fuel pressure plate in an oil residue over time. This eventually makes it's way up to the Throttle body as well. I know it's coming from this breather hose because the inside of the hose is moist with oil.

I'm putting the catch can in between the valve cover and the air box. This will direct the hot oily residue into the catch can inside the stainless steel wire mesh. Hitting the mesh should cause it to cool and condense somewhat, letting only air/other gases not containing oils back into the air box via the outlet on the outside of the wire mesh.

In the top part of the catch can, there is a divider that doesn't allow the gases to pass from the inlet to the outlet without first directing them into the center of the wire mesh.

When the can gets full I will dump it into a waste oil container I have and take it to my recycling depot.

It's a PITA to clean the throttle body, air plate, air box and replace the filter once a year when I could easily take care of it with this and delay it for a couple of years...

Does this make it more clear for everyone?

In my Santa Fe, when I put it there I will be adding a "T" to the inlet side so both my Breather & PCV hoses are vented into the Inlet side of the catch can. I will put a check valve on the breather hose so that the gases from the PCV don't float back into the crank case through the breather hose. The outlet will be going to the throttle body as it does now so that it's vented back into the engine.

Although in 170K KM of driving I have only had to clean the throttle body once and it wasn't even that bad, just a touch of residue. Even the plenum was very clean as seen when I removed it to change my spark plugs. So I'm not sure if I will catch anything...
grin2.gif

grin2.gif

Steve

So there is a baffle of sorts between the in/out? Got it. I see what your doing...that will force air down into the wire mesh. Looked just like a straight thru "T"..thanks for explaining.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Let us see the rest of that motor. Neat Schaeffer's decal.

408 Iron Block Stroker Motor. 600+ to the wheels all naturally aspirated.Runs 10's all day everyday. Street Legal. You should see the UOA's we get back with Shaeffers. You would think we were driving a Honda Grocery Getter.
GTOSTUFF002.jpg

100_1094.jpg

Zaino005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back