$22 Catch Can!!! (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
This is what I dumped out of my catch can earlier today. It has been sitting for a couple hours, and im not sure what layer is fuel/moisture and which is the oil/fuel mix. Either way, this gunk would have ended up in the bottom of my intercooler, or coating the inside of my intake manifold. This is about 3500 miles worth, probably 3ounces worth.

CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

YUK! This makes me want to put it on the Cabriolet even more... I will be doing it later today and will post pictures!
20.gif

I just get straight fuel smelling oil in both of mine. But on my turbo mazdas I would always find it sitting in the bottom of my intercooler.

the stuff on the bottom looks like a frothy chocolate milk, but is really thick. The dark layer on top is really thin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buffman
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
Originally Posted By: Buffman
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
I fail to see how the oil will be separated from the air stream as the gentlemen above pointed out.You have to force the oil mist/air through the mesh and the fresh/clean air back to the intake.
100_1093.jpg

So how long do those headers last with that wrap on them
wink.gif

Those have been wrapped since 2004. Lot of people still hold onto the "wrapped headers rust" theory left over form the day when headers were just steel. Stainless Steel wrapped headers outlast the car.

well u didnt say they were stainless
wink.gif
Most headers are still made from mild steel, and even then stainless steel can rust under certain conditions. And it is fact that wrapped mild steel headers will rust compared to ceramic coating.

Yes I didnt say the headers were stainless works long tube headers and made from stainless steel. I didn't know we were discussing headers. But since you ask. Yes if you stand there and soak your headers (wrapped) with a garden hose cold and leave them soaked and never start your motor they can rust under the wrap as the moisture has nowhere to go. But I have never seen headers degrade from a motor that was soaked/ran/parked as the headers heat up and expel any and all moisture within a matter of minutes. Further we wrap because we get higher exhaust temps from wrapped headers versus ceramic coated headers. Higher temps means higher exhaust stroke evacuation and more complete evacuation means we can get more fuel into the cylinder for the power stroke.

Just trying to bump this page so I can stop scrolling.

Anyone remember VHS rentals? "Be kind. Rewind"?

Be kind. Resize
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Just trying to bump this page so I can stop scrolling.

Anyone remember VHS rentals? "Be kind. Rewind"?

Be kind. Resize
grin2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Ok Guys:

It's installed on the Cabriolet and it's resting on the Radiator Fan motor. I didn't want to cut the factory breather hose in case I want to put it back to stock for some reason.

There is a before picture (#1), and then an after picture from 2 different angles (#2,#3).

I drove it to Walmart and back which is 40 KM round trip and it was cold, but the hoses were warm so it will be interesting to see how much oil this catches over the next little while.

7.jpg

8.jpg

No laughing at my "Heater Core" shut off valve. The original plastic one broke and I replaced it and then the replacement broke. Seeing as I never drive this in the winter I have turned off the heater core my way!!!
LOL.gif

9.jpg

So I have driven the car all day today on errands and such and put on just over 135KM and it has caught about 1-2ml of oil in the bottom of the catch can.

The Stainless steel mesh screen is dry except for the bottom which is sitting in the oil that was caught.

I'm happy it's working and keeping this [censored] out of my airbox and off the fuel pressure plate as this can reek havoc on the idle when accumulation builds up.

I also can't believe that the 5w50 oil in the engine would vaporize this much, but I guess it's possible ???
21.gif

(Not blow by, checked this before I bought the car and compression is on the higher end of factory specs)

Anyways... Happy that it's working, and working good! The air box is now dry all the time!

Thanks to Gary for his drawings... I will be trying out his idea on my Santa Fe!
wink.gif

StevieC, can you post more details about this filter? I'm going to TSC and Princess Auto to look for something similar.

Is there a box, brand, make model of this item?

No it was unbranded where I bought it. If you look in the "Cooling System" section there is a thread by Onion. I showed him these pictures and he found that Napa carries them and I think he had a brand name.

Filter - Experiment I think was the name of the thread.

If you can't find them let me know the size of fittings you need and I can pick one up from my TSC in Grimsby and ship it to you.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back