210,000 miles with K&N air intake system

This week I was at my local Toyota dealership getting a tire rotation on my Tundra. This 2010 Tundra with 210K miles pulled up for an oil change. Got to speaking with the owner, who was kind and shared all about his truck. Owned since new and installed a K&N cold air intake system on it when he first purchased 13 years ago. He has never had a single issue with this truck and runs great.

I personally choose to use OEM Toyota (Denso made) paper filters, but this is a lot of miles with a K&N and he loves it. Maybe we should all re-think K&N if you want to run a vehicle to high mileage. Thoughts?

Attachments

• FD0F9B80-3794-435D-8030-6BF3F8B30F53.jpeg
    FD0F9B80-3794-435D-8030-6BF3F8B30F53.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 113
While there is nothing "wrong" with a K&N air filter system. That said, I stopped using K&N Air Filters because they're a PITA and messy to clean and reoil. It's much easier to toss a dirty paper filter, and replace it with another.

Also, there is the question of being denied warranty work if you have one. This happened to a guy on one the Hellcat / Demon forums. He had a Hellcat that he replaced the air intake with a "K&N Intake System".

He had some major internal engine problems, and his warranty was denied because the dealer said he, "altered the vehicle". He took it to court and lost, and ended up being on the hook for thousands of dollars. Just be careful installing these things on vehicles still under factory warranty.

I had a K&N filter on my Civic for about 60,000 miles but I took it off due to increased noise on acceleration. I had on on a Ford F-150 too and I don't think they really hurt anything as long as you keep them clean and very lightly with K&N filter lubricant. I do prefer factory style filters.

While there is nothing "wrong" with a K&N air filter system. That said, I stopped using K&N Air Filters because they're a PITA and messy to clean and reoil. It's much easier to toss a dirty paper filter, and replace it with another.

Also, there is the question of being denied warranty work if you have one. This happened to a guy on one the Hellcat / Demon forums. He had a Hellcat that he replaced the air intake with a "K&N Intake System".

He had some major internal engine problems, and his warranty was denied because the dealer said he, "altered the vehicle". He took it to court and lost, and ended up being on the hook for thousands of dollars. Just be careful installing these things on vehicles still under factory warranty.
Can you link me to the forum where the guy with the Hellcat said he lost the court battle? I just want have that when I post to a Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act absolutist that there are going to be times you will loss.

I wouldn’t use one, there’s multiple test online saying that they allow more silicates to bypass the filter and enter the engine. I’m not saying that means catastrophic engine failure, but I’m asking...why would you do that? On a site where we split hairs regarding HTHS/TBN/Noack/and everything else...you’re going to put something on your vehicle that won’t filter as well as an everyday air filter?

If I was building an engine to see frequent WOT, and was afraid not of rebuilding and/or scattering parts while having fun at WOT, i’d run K&N without a thought.

On something I need to start daily, which won’t get WOT and about which I gripe about the price of gas, parts and repairs… not so much.

I use them in everything. But South Florida is not full of dust or dirt. The air is clean and the filters rarely get dirty. There is absolutely no question they help performance on some vehicles/engines. Even my Cessna uses a K+N air filter. It gets cleaned once a year, whether it needs it or not.

However, I would never use one in dusty conditions.

I use them in everything. But South Florida is not full of dust or dirt. The air is clean and the filters rarely get dirty. There is absolutely no question they help performance on some vehicles/engines. Even my Cessna uses a K+N air filter. It gets cleaned once a year, whether it needs it or not.

However, I would never use one in dusty conditions.
South FL on the Gulf side is filthy. Prevailing winds must sweep across the sate from the east must pick up all the dust inland. It's black dust/dirt. Nnything outside gets dirty after a few days.

A CAI is fine on a naturally aspirated vehicle but I would not use one on a turbo engine. I had an AFE on my Cummins Ram and with the air velocity and volume it actually sucked the oil out of the filter. I took it off and sold it after about 30k miles and put the OEM setup back in. I’ve used Mopar of Fleetguard filters since with no trouble.

Just my $0.02

A production car is one big compromise to suit as many buyers as possible. Not talking about corvettes, hellcats etc. There's always room to make it suit you better. IMO dirty air isn't one. None of the dune running guys I know will touch one. Extreme example sure but they're all about WFO performance.

This week I was at my local Toyota dealership getting a tire rotation on my Tundra. This 2010 Tundra with 210K miles pulled up for an oil change. Got to speaking with the owner, who was kind and shared all about his truck. Owned since new and installed a K&N cold air intake system on it when he first purchased 13 years ago. He has never had a single issue with this truck and runs great.

I personally choose to use OEM Toyota (Denso made) paper filters, but this is a lot of miles with a K&N and he loves it. Maybe we should all re-think K&N if you want to run a vehicle to high mileage. Thoughts?
I use the K&N intake but only used the AEM DRYFLOW filters. The oil is simply a pain in the rear, too much down time and time after time the DRYFLOW has a better filtration which keeps the engine cleaner and with less particle wear.

Attachments

• 20210501_185835_HDR.jpg
    20210501_185835_HDR.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 54

Got a source? Also let's not confuse a panel filter with an aftermarket intake system.

This is 6 years old, and the video attached to it is now private and not viewable. Basically it's yesterday's news.

Looks like the dealer they brought it too just over reacted, post #58 says it was covered under warranty and was a known issue with the blower.
Found the failure of the bearings to be due to defect, and no mods on the vehicle to void the power train warranty.

Back