20wt.....why? 30wt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question that I hope you all can help me with....

Manufacturer specs for 5w30

TSB allows for 5w20 or 0w20....

Why????

Question #1

What is the advantage of moving from 30wt to 20wt?

What is the advantage of staying with 30wt?

2007 Toyota V6 for those that need the specifics.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

Question #1

What is the advantage of staying with 30wt?

Answer #1
Better MPG, faster start-up protection, more sheer stable...

Answer #2
Maybe better hot weather protection, you can always find it in stores

They keep lowering the viscosity recommendations mainly for fuel economy, but it is nice to have in winter (flows better) +mpg's. Run the 5w30 if you like or go with the 20's. Or do like I do...mix 'em for the best of both worlds.lol

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Cafe mileage standards.

Fine response....but....

Would you be a 0-5/20 fan....or a 5w30 fan?

Maybe I am turning to the camp of.... 20wt for winter and 30 wt for summer.

Cafe mileage standards.

Fine response....but....

I use what the mfg recommends unless there is a need to run a different viscosity. I like oil thin enough not to cause a loss of power but thick enough to protect the engine during the hardest use the vehicle will encounter.

Cafe mileage standards.

Fine response....but....

I use what the mfg recommends unless there is a need to run a different viscosity. I like oil thin enough not to cause a loss of power but thick enough to protect the engine during the hardest use the vehicle will encounter.

hmmmm...... not really an answer.... but I think you would be willing to get really specific if we were discussing specific engines.

I think you are saying.....normal use....probably a 20wt.

Tough use....maybe a 30wt.

Super cold....certainly a 20wt.

Quote:

That the dealer will actually use the 5w-20 on later models that spec it due to the economy of bulk purchasing ONE oil weight.

or

The dealer will not fear servicing older models that did not originally spec it due not carrying 5w30 due to the economy purchasing of 5w-20

This could be more of a "behavioral science" question than a material one.

think you are saying.....normal use....probably a 20wt.

Tough use....maybe a 30wt.

Super cold....certainly a 20wt.
Yes this is the ideal setup IMO,i am sure others see it another way and thats good too.
thumbsup2.gif

So for my apps.....

I change the oil the first of October....and then 6 months later .... the first of April.

6 month oci's

Summer: 0-5w30
Winter: 0-5/w20

Sound like a good plan?

Well in my sons Toyota Tacoma xcab with a 4 cyl manual trans 4X4 I have used 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-20 and 0w-30 GC Castrol in a somewhat mild climate, Redding Calif area and I really haven't noticed enough of a difference to mention. Doing a double blind test?,,, I changed from 5w-30 to 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum and he did not notice any difference when I asked if there was one. But your plan on summer and winter is a good one. We went camping one year and the daytime temps were 17*f and the truck sat for 3 days and started great with 5w-20 Motorcraft syn blend so it seems a syn 5w-20 would be the ticket when it gets cold.

I've done 30 in summer on a 20 weight car. It was 105 degrees plus and if I had to put a lot of weight on my car, it would have been a really good thing.

At least your manufacturer doesn't discourage this practice.

Run the xw-20 year round. My '08 Vibe also falls under the TSB for 5w-20 use. I have been running MC syn blend for the last 20k miles. No issues to report, even in very hot summer trips. The Vibe seems to like the 5w-20 just fine.

Answer: It doesn't matter. For me, I use 5w30. If I'm worried about cold temp performance I'll use a 0w30 syn.

Can someone point me to information about the failures, damage and reduced longevity caused by running an Xw-20 in the summer months, even on a vehicle that sees high outdoor temperatures and cars that see heavy loads?

I see a lot of suggestions (by some) that a 30 weight is better for summer or "tough" use, but I don't see any of it backed up by real proof.

That assumes the vehicle is spec'd for a 20 weight.

I'd love to see the actual proof-it would be interesting reading.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Can someone point me to information about the failures, damage and reduced longevity caused by running an Xw-20 in the summer months, even on a vehicle that sees high outdoor temperatures and cars that see heavy loads?

I see a lot of suggestions (by some) that a 30 weight is better for summer or "tough" use, but I don't see any of it backed up by real proof.

That assumes the vehicle is spec'd for a 20 weight.

I'd love to see the actual proof-it would be interesting reading.

I hear a lot of people on this forum talk about the need to use 30wt instead of 20wt, when towing. So here's the question...

Hasn't Ford, in their 1/2 ton pickups, spec'd 20wt for several years? I wonder how service trucks are performing with 20wt. For instance the oil and gas industry uses thousands of these trucks in the oil field. Also, cities and counties across the nation have fleets of these pickups....

Surely there is data somewhere.....????

I do have to admit that I would lean to 30wt in summer and when towing....so I am in that camp until some data surfaces that proves it wrong.

Cafe mileage standards.

Fine response....but....

5w-30 because it worked in so many cars for so long and if your car says it can use a 5w-20 or a 0w-20 and it also says it can use a 5w-30 i would still choose a 5w-30 because 5w-30 is not thick oil

all three oils are thin oils

but the 5w-30 is not only something that should provide extra piece of mind unless the car came with a 20 of some kind, i say use the 5w-30 it has worked in many cars very well for decades particularly japanese cars and its more fuel efficient than heavier oils though in reality your foot and car and load affect mileage not a difference of 10 on the oil.

Im also not fully coonvinced 20 weight oils are all that great they seem a touch thin and unless a car has proven goodness on it id stay in a 30 like i am on my car I selected 10w-30 because guess what 10w is still fine in where i live so i dont want it to be a 5w there is no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back