20k miles OCI on the wife's car M1 0W30

Do a few short (3k miles) oil changes to clean it out a little. Rotate the tires every 5k. Change the differential fluid every 30-40k. Don't neglect the vehicle or you'll have to buy a new one and good luck in this market.
Does doing that actually help clean up varnish and accumulated ick ?

If YOU KNOW your engine is burning oil, your index finger should always have a dirty ring around it from constantly checking your oil level. Checking and changing oil is not a major job, that should be put off for a year and a half...... Especially on a known oil burner.

Well I have been so busy in the last year and a half I did not change the oil in that time period and I checked the oil tonight and it did not read on the dip stick. I know the car burns about 1/2 quart in 7000 miles since it was new. I scratched my head and checked the log book and it was changed in Jan 2020 with about 50k miles on it. It has about 70k on it now. I put a quart in it and just barely got to the tip of the dip stick. I am going to change it tomorrow. So I hope I have not done any damage. It is a 2016 Mazda CX5. It has been a great car and so has my 2016 Mazda 3. We moved in that period of time and I did a lot of sight prep to get ready for that move and we had to hurry out of our place of 20 yrs. The reminder had not been set either. I told the wife if I never drive your car, I don't think about maintenance on it. She is going to have to get better at checking the log book about every 6 months. I guess the tires need rotating as well.
That sucks my 16 mazda 6 never burned a drop of oil ever.
20k Mike's is a lot of kms.........

If YOU KNOW your engine is burning oil, your index finger should always have a dirty ring around it from constantly checking your oil level. Checking and changing oil is not a major job, that should be put off for a year and a half...... Especially on a known oil burner.

This took me a good few minutes to understand. I was convinced for a minute you were wiping your dipstick with your index finger and not a rag or tissue. :ROFLMAO:

The 2014 Mazda 5 I had (2.5L I-4) didn't use any oil while I had it. Steady diet of M1 AFE 0w20 with OEM filter, 7.5K OCI. Traded @ 102K miles with no known drivetrain issues.

Mazda's 2.5L is a reliable engine, but it does require maintenance to keep it that way. Hopefully the OP dodged a bullet.

Does doing that actually help clean up varnish and accumulated ick ?
Varnish, probably not. Accumulated ick, potentially. If you're super duper sludged or varnished you need something stronger. Kreen, BG44K, Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, something potent like that. But a few short oil changes can get the superficial crap out and get you back on track in some cases.

And I would have to drive it to check it at the pump LOL.
Checking oil (at least in some engines) after a drive is wrong. You get oil all over the stick and I doubt you can wait half an hour at the pump waiting for oil to drain back to the sump.
Always first thing in the morning after car sat down for hours.

I spun a rod that way once. Vehicle decided to burn three quarts in 5k miles.

Couple months old post i know but It happens man don't worry too much. I went 4k over once but no harm.

It most likely didn't cause any damage just accelerated wear. Now id only recommend using pennzoil platinum in a 30 grade to make up for it if that would've happened to me.

Back