20k miles OCI on the wife's car M1 0W30

All I can say is....with the average new car transaction price over $40K....it's time to take the time to check maintenance items. The next owner will probably pay for your 'forgetfulness'....
Next owner will buying a 10 - 15 yr old car with over 200k.on it. I expect the car will be worth about $2k then. I will have gotten the life out of it. We paid $24k for it new. A car is a beast of burden to me not a status symbol. Buy it use it up get rid of it when maintenance gets time consuming.

It wouldn’t hurt for you to drive it occasionally. That’s how some people find out a car is not driving right or making a noise somewhere.
Plan to. We bought a 44 piece of property and are in the early stages of building a house and I work full time. 5 cars, a motorcycle, two tractors, 3 travel trailers, a doublewide and you see how things fall through the cracks. I maintain all of them. Nothing has blown up yet.

Next owner will buying a 10 - 15 yr old car with over 200k.on it. I expect the car will be worth about $2k then. I will have gotten the life out of it. We paid $24k for it new. A car is a beast of burden to me not a status symbol. Buy it use it up get rid of it when maintenance gets time consuming.
While 200K+ is certainly doable on a Mazda 'Skyactive'.....you should pay more attention to 'maintenance' if you want to achieve it....

PS: As someone who tries to get my 'family members' to pay more attention to their vehicles 'needs'....I'm being a bit hard on you because it frustrates me when people 'abuse' their trusty steeds...no offense intended....

While 200K+ is certainly doable on a Mazda 'Skyactive'.....you should pay more attention to 'maintenance' if you want to achieve it....

PS: As someone who tries to get my 'family members' to pay more attention to their vehicles 'needs'....I'm being a bit hard on you because it frustrates me when people 'abuse' their trusty steeds...no offense intended....
I am not happy about it. I am pretty ocd most of the time. I usually get at least 20 yrs out of cars. Still have my 91 Eclipse bought new. 2000 Excursion.

get the app on your phone called fuelly. have the same app on wifes phone get account you both have. so she can log fill ups. and you can set maintenance reminders. or just on phone even and it'll tell here the oil needs changed, tires rotated. etc.
as for the 20K on the oil. i wouldn't give it a second thought.
it will even remind about wipers. atc. and logs all maintance. oil, air, sparkplugs, tires. etc. it's rally how i'm able to keep up on my mini fleet of 10 vehicles.

Do a few short (3k miles) oil changes to clean it out a little. Rotate the tires every 5k. Change the differential fluid every 30-40k. Don't neglect the vehicle or you'll have to buy a new one and good luck in this market.

Here is the right thought. With the oil that low there is not physically enough dispersant to handle the trash. Your next change should be to an ester containing oil. Run that oil for a normal drain. Keep it full. The esters will dissolve the material you have left behind. Once you change that oil out you will be fine with respect to the clean up. Keeping the pan full is something you do not want to neglect.

David

It wouldn’t hurt for you to drive it occasionally. That’s how some people find out a car is not driving right or making a noise somewhere.
I don't have to worry about that. She will tell me if she hears a mouse fart in her car. Three generations of mechanics in her family. I do drive it occasionally just because.

I'm busy too but have oil and oil filter changes down to about 15 mins start to finish with 10 of those mins waiting for the oil to drain. It is all about priorities.

It's the tire rotations on the Tundra that suck and take time.

If he was talking about the very end of the dipstick then he was very low. The sump holds five quarts. I’m guessing there was less than two quarts in the sump.

From the owner's manual, this is what the dipstick looks like

d1.jpg

Why I only buy new (never owned) cars.
If you buy a used vehicle and get ALL service records plus have it checked out by a independent or Mobile mechanic you should be okay for the most part. Did that with my sons 2013 PPV Tahoe. All is well at 200K miles. He bought it at 150K miles.

Eh, since low oil warning light is not on, I guess it's actually ok? Maybe use some cheap oil for first change, add some seafoam in it, run hundred miles, dump it and add M1 back?

Changed the oil just now. Oil looked normal no silver streaks or signs of abnormal wear. It probably had around 3 guarts in it at the lowest. I got about 4 quarts out of it, one of which was the quart I added last night. I saved some and might send it to Blackstone labs.

Well I have been so busy in the last year and a half I did not change the oil in that time period and I checked the oil tonight and it did not read on the dip stick. I know the car burns about 1/2 quart in 7000 miles since it was new. I scratched my head and checked the log book and it was changed in Jan 2020 with about 50k miles on it. It has about 70k on it now. I put a quart in it and just barely got to the tip of the dip stick. I am going to change it tomorrow. So I hope I have not done any damage. It is a 2016 Mazda CX5. It has been a great car and so has my 2016 Mazda 3. We moved in that period of time and I did a lot of sight prep to get ready for that move and we had to hurry out of our place of 20 yrs. The reminder had not been set either. I told the wife if I never drive your car, I don't think about maintenance on it. She is going to have to get better at checking the log book about every 6 months. I guess the tires need rotating as well.
Always amazes me how anyone can go 20,000 miles without checking the oil once and then expect the car to go 200,000 miles.

Changed the oil just now. Oil looked normal no silver streaks or signs of abnormal wear. It probably had around 3 guarts in it at the lowest. I got about 4 quarts out of it, one of which was the quart I added last night. I saved some and might send it to Blackstone labs.
Yes uoa!😃👍

Back