2024 Lexus RX350 UOA - 1,473mi / PUP 0W-20

This is the third oil change on a brand new 2024 Lexus RX350. We are on Sample #3 per the below. If you are following the journey (which I am sure you aren't), you can see the previous two threads here:
BITOG Post #1
BITOG Post #2
See current results below:
1718325820207.jpg

I am still concerned about the Fuel Dilution. It's not nearly as bad as the first; however, this oil change was after a normal 30+ minute drive and waiting for it to cool down to a reasonable level. Nice to see the Silicon working its way down as well as the other items. Surprised to see, what I would consider, significantly less Moly than the prior oil change (note Sample 1 was TGMO whereas Sample 2 was PUP so I know of that difference).

Question for the group -- does anyone know where to find a recent oil analysis of the base PUP 0W-20? I've scoured and couldn't find. I might send out a base oil sample just to have for comparison.

As I've mentioned in prior posts, yes I know many consider this "overkill". My initial goal was to change the oil at around 750 miles, 1500 miles, 3000 miles, and then every 3000 going forward. I am alright with the costs of doing so and the cost of getting these UoA are like an interesting hobby of mine.

Happy to hear any of your thoughts on this. The fuel dilution is a head scratcher---perhaps it's normal for a brand new Turbocharged engine but a report with no Green/Yellowish numbers would be nice for a change (yes I get engine break-in causes much of the yellow)

Just keep doubling up your miles for the next run (Edit: I see your plan is 3k). Fuel doesn't always track with miles & may reach a plateau. These new engines are pushing out more horsepower so fuel is going to be there. Wear trend is coming down nicely as the parts settle in the engine. I bet the RX350 is a nice ride.

Just keep doubling up your miles for the next run (Edit: I see your plan is 3k). Fuel doesn't always track with miles & may reach a plateau. These new engines are pushing out more horsepower so fuel is going to be there. Wear trend is coming down nicely as the parts settle in the engine. I bet the RX350 is a nice ride.
Thanks for the message. Loving the ride. And yep, planning on OCI's of every 3k miles here on out. Based on usage thats 2 times a year so seems reasonable to me

Surprised to see, what I would consider, significantly less Moly than the prior oil change (note Sample 1 was TGMO whereas Sample 2 was PUP so I know of that difference).
This is due to carryover. Not all the oil drains out, some carries over into the next fill. So the higher moly in oil change #2 is due to some of the high moly oil from TGMO carrying over. In fact, I think there's still some carryover in the 3rd oil change -- PUP moly levels from what I've seen should be closer to 85ppm and they're still at 111.

Question for the group -- does anyone know where to find a recent oil analysis of the base PUP 0W-20? I've scoured and couldn't find. I might send out a base oil sample just to have for comparison.
I have not found one either. If you do send a sample in, be sure to report it in our Virgin Oil Analysis section so I can see it and add it to the VOA Database.

This is due to carryover. Not all the oil drains out, some carries over into the next fill. So the higher moly in oil change #2 is due to some of the high moly oil from TGMO carrying over. In fact, I think there's still some carryover in the 3rd oil change -- PUP moly levels from what I've seen should be closer to 85ppm and they're still at 111.
Thanks. Completely understand carryover. I had always thought PUP Moly was in the 100's but I guess I am wrong on that. I guess the VOA would help settle that

Your welcome . Go to YouTube and enter Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 VOA and you'll see the report by the original poster . He has many other oil V.O.A.s to be viewed . Plan to use this for the 2nd generation FIT sometime in the fall .

Last edited:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share this information. I have been lurking around here for quite some time but finally joined so that I could post on your thread.

I have a 23 RX350 with the same engine. In case you haven't seen this, here is some good information on the engine: T4 Engine

I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I replaced the factory fill with M1 AFE 0W-20. I dumped that after 4,000 miles (then at 5,000 miles total) and replaced it with 5W-30 PUP. I have not done a UOA. I plan on 5,000 mile OCI's moving forward. My reasoning with this choice of oil weights comes down to a few things:

1. The engine has a timing chain AND a turbocharger that IMHO benefits from an oil with a higher HTHS rating.
2. I did not know at the time if this engine was a fuel diluter or not- my gut feeling was that it was at least to some extent, thereby benefiting from a slightly thicker oil. The postings of your UOA's so far confirm my gut feelings.
3. I drive the car hard and consider myself in the "severe duty" crowd.
4. PUP 5W-30 is, as far as I know, a "thin" 5W-30 oil. I live in Alaska and had no problems with this oil during the winter months.
5. While 0W-20 is always the "recommended" oil per Lexus, different weight oils are acceptable in parts of the world outside of North America. This information is easy to find with a quick search.

My intention is NOT to turn this into a "Thick vs. Thin" thread. I have no desire to become part of the bashing that I have seen on this site for a long time now. To each their own; do whatever makes you sleep at night. Knowing the folks on this site, let the bashing begin. I have "thick" skin that protects me better than "thin" skin :cool:. Hopefully this thread will stay on topic.

This is the third oil change on a brand new 2024 Lexus RX350. We are on Sample #3 per the below. If you are following the journey (which I am sure you aren't), you can see the previous two threads here:
BITOG Post #1
BITOG Post #2
See current results below:
View attachment 224807

I am still concerned about the Fuel Dilution. It's not nearly as bad as the first; however, this oil change was after a normal 30+ minute drive and waiting for it to cool down to a reasonable level. Nice to see the Silicon working its way down as well as the other items. Surprised to see, what I would consider, significantly less Moly than the prior oil change (note Sample 1 was TGMO whereas Sample 2 was PUP so I know of that difference).

As I've mentioned in prior posts, yes I know many consider this "overkill". My initial goal was to change the oil at around 750 miles, 1500 miles, 3000 miles, and then every 3000 going forward. I am alright with the costs of doing so and the cost of getting these UoA are like an interesting hobby of mine.

Happy to hear any of your thoughts on this. The fuel dilution is a head scratcher---perhaps it's normal for a brand new Turbocharged engine but a report with no Green/Yellowish numbers would be nice for a change (yes I get engine break-in causes much of the yellow)
Try PUP 5w-20, slightly thicker/smoother in my 17 Camry than PUP 0w-20, Run the PUP 5w-20 in warm weather; back to PUP 0w-20 when it gets cold. 5k max oci.

Tweaking Formulations changes come constantly and difference between 80 and 110 is not significant.... nor is it deemed correct, as reading mistakes happen all the time in labs.

Haven't seen 5w20 PUP online recently. I suppose one can get it at places that charge an arm & leg for it.
This latest UOA looks really good. Heavy diluter engines need the thickest 0w20s possible. This oil dropped an entire number in cst@100 in only 1300 miles.

I think Red Line is about the thickest 0w20 I've read about. It usually starts out at just over 9 cst with increased esters. I haven't researched HPL, Amsoil.....etc in 0w20. Both should be easy finds respectively online and one should pay attention to HPL No VIIs formulation. It's built to withstand shearing and fight dilution that attacks wear. I would guess Amsoil Euro works good as a fighter also.

Last edited:
Back