2024 KTM 790 ADV - first ride

I picked the bike up today. Tech pack was installed today as well. Picked it up with 1 mile on it. Rode it 54 miles back home on some back highways.

Bike rides well, good smooth power, yet snappy when you twist it aggressively. Fueling its very very good. The on/off throttle is almost Car good, really smooth. Handling is superb even on the stock (and new) tires. I didn’t push it super hard but it turns in well and hold the line very well. Very confidence inspiring to ride in the twisties.

TFT screen is excellent and very clear to read while riding. Vibrations are almost non existent at speed.

My only complaint so far is coming from an XSR900 bike with 0 wind protection, I don’t love the screen. I almost wish it wasn’t there. Standing up in the wind it’s dead quiet and smooth. Sit down at anything above 45mph and it’s pretty noisy with buffeting. I forgot my earplugs so time will tell on this. I may end up getting the shortest screen I can so I can get back into the wind.

Overall I think it’s going to be a great bike. I’m very pleased with the fit and finish as well as the quality and feel of the ride. Eliminate 50% of the buffeting while sitting in the cockpit and I’ll be over the moon.

I’ll be doing my own service on it. Likely going to use Castrol 10w50 Synthetic MA2 with a KTM filter while under warranty.

1AE0C24A-F929-45BB-8AC2-0FB351B452BF.jpeg

0CE34DEA-B59C-43EA-B99E-B1635C6A9526.jpeg

E36256D7-E911-4827-A1F4-BCB68EB98EF2.jpeg

A56E6FD6-65E3-4FD6-8B5E-4556D9D4D61E.jpeg

68CA7FE5-E77C-42F2-BD83-0BE700A97831.jpeg

D7458EFC-94F4-4415-86AE-7935071F5532.jpeg

E5147923-59A0-4429-9D21-37D7D9F53173.jpeg

9C3A7082-403C-4EB0-B9A0-7FB902F1986F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice !! How much HP does that engine put out?
95hp and 65lbft of torque. It’s about 20hp down on the XSR. I have only taken it up 7k rpm. They want you to keep it under 6500 for break in. However, the 3-7k pulls are just as strong as my XSR was due to about the same torque as the XSR. I’m guessing it will loose some steam up top and not pull as hard up top as the CP3 does.

Hard to beat that Yamaha triple

Congrats.

I'm still looking at Dual-sport and lighter ADV bikes, as I want to explore more dirt roads and trails. I can't decide what to go with.

I have the sportbikes, and my idea of a touring bike (a stock 3rd gen Hayabusa), but it's at 1500 miles, and the rear tire is DONE. I might need to go with Sport-Touring tires on it if I want to ride anywhere further than 750 miles away...

Congrats.

I'm still looking at Dual-sport and lighter ADV bikes, as I want to explore more dirt roads and trails. I can't decide what to go with.

I have the sportbikes, and my idea of a touring bike (a stock 3rd gen Hayabusa), but it's at 1500 miles, and the rear tire is DONE. I might need to go with Sport-Touring tires on it if I want to ride anywhere further than 750 miles away...

I had a tough decision as well. The Vstrom 800DE was a strong contender. The Transalp is a nice bike. Aprillia Tuareg is a good bike. Lots of good options in this space.

The KTM I felt offered more at the same price point. More tech, more power, tubeless tires.

I don’t think anyone could go wrong with any of the mentioned in the midsize ADV space.

The DE I think is a very good bike and I almost bought a leftover 23 model. The KTM is just a little faster and a little more raw. For me in my 30s I still like something a little more sport oriented.

Good luck on your search.

You can buy the Castrol 10w50 on Amazon for $55 for the case. It’s usually marked down to that price quite often. Or O’Reilly’s has it for $11.99 a quart, don’t pay $20 a quart at the dealer or CycleGear.

Honda really blew it with the transalp. Im guessing thats part of the "tech pack".

Congrats man, really sweet ride. I never met a KTM I didnt like.

You know what KTM stands for right?
Thank you,

The transalp is a nice bike. Lacking several features that they should have included. Cruise, some skid plates, etc. They should have added these features and priced it another $1k more imo.

The tech pack isn’t a big deal to me. The dealer sold me the bike for $100 more than a transalp. I paid $700 extra to get cruise, quickshifter, rally mode, etc.

Keep Taking Money is what they say. Time will tell. Most people I’ve talked to that actually own them have had excellent reliability. If it turns out to suck I’ll go buy an Suzuki 800DE which was my second choice…but that bike has no cruise or IMU system….and cost more money.

Last edited:
Thank you,

The transalp is a nice bike. Lacking several features that they should have included. Cruise, some skid plates, etc. They should have added these features and priced it another $1k more imo.

The tech pack isn’t a big deal to me. The dealer sold me the bike for $100 more than a transalp. I paid $700 extra to get cruise, quickshifter, rally mode, etc.

Keep Taking Money is what they say. Time will tell. Most people I’ve talked to that actually own them have had excellent reliability. If it turns out to suck I’ll go buy an Suzuki 800DE which was my second choice…but that bike has no cruise or IMU system….and cost more money.

You got that saying right, although Ive never experienced reliability issues beyond anything japanese bike level and never seen one as big of a money pit as my yz450.

The zook is a nice bike as well, gets the job done, decent electronics, zero drama, prob anvil level reliability. I dont see it being as good off road.

I need a second bike for guests, something not too big as to scare them, but big enough for combo 500 mile loop days. Im constantly hosting international travelers and like minded guys hang out with the same. It's really a privilege to hand them over a couple of bikes and riding gear and tell them to explore the mountains.

Normally a KTM cost so much more you care booth difference - this is competitive.

Have fun be safe, keep us updated on how it goes.

UD

Last edited:
Honda really blew it with the transalp. Im guessing thats part of the "tech pack".

Congrats man, really sweet ride. I never met a KTM I didnt like.

You know what KTM stands for right?

I always said it stood for Kickass Type Motorcycle, when referring to my KTM 550 MXC.

Agree on the TransAlp. Honda reliability. It's much lighter than the Suzuki also. That's where Suzuki messed up, in my opinion. The 800DE is significantly heavier than some of the other bikes in the class.

I think the TransAlp is a great bike. Have you ridden one? The bike is better than the sum of its parts.
Yes, The honda dealer had one on the lot when I brought my suzuki in for service.
I gave it a casual round the block, and though it seemed like a really nice bike with upper middle end componentry.

I dint experience the top end " clipping" thats described on fort nine, Not sure if thats the euro or us version - but it seems to be a thing.

Dont like the tube tires, or the big sump bulge,
I also dont like that cruise is eliminated from a package that has all the hardware needed.

I also dont like KTM charging me extra for code, but good on them for at least allowing it.

I would really like the Honda, but Im pretty sure Id LOVE the KTM. For me it goes.

in the 700-800 class for me its KTM> Honda> Suzuki> Tenere

I cat get local service on a APrilia, ducati, or trumpet, but probably wouldnt get one if I could, but I know they are great machines.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 4.27.33 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, The honda dealer had one on the lot when I brought my suzuki in for service.
I gave it a casual round the block, and though it seemed like a really nice bike with upper middle end componentry.

I dint experience the top end " clipping" thats described on fort nine, Not sure if thats the euro or us version - but it seems to be a thing.

Dont like the tube tires, or the big sump bulge,
I also dont like that cruise is eliminated from a package that has all the hardware needed.

I also dont like KTM charging me extra for code, but good on them for at least allowing it.

I would really like the Honda, but Im pretty sure Id LOVE the KTM. For me it goes.

in the 700-800 class for me its KTM> Honda> Suzuki> Tenere

View attachment 219840

I believe the US version of the transalp is de-tuned. It makes 90HP in the rest of the world. Here in the USA it makes 83HP.

For me it was KTM > Suzuki > Honda > Tenere.

The Suzuki doesn’t really feel 507lbs heavy when riding it, But it definitely doesn’t have as balanced of a feel as the KTM.

I admittedly didn’t ride a transalp, but I didn’t like the low hanging sump, the tubed tires, and the lackluster electronics package. I really feel like Honda needs to add cruise, and some sort of belly protection as standard. They then should increase the price to match the others IMO. I suppose one could spend a grand on it a get all that aftermarket, but seems they could include most of it as standard.

For me I keep my bikes stock and ride so I don’t want to spend a bunch on them to customize. I may add heated grips to the KTM in the future as it can be controlled via the existing TFT which is nice.

I don’t think the KTM is 100% perfect or ideal, but it offers a heck of a good package for under $11k. I paid right at 10k plus $700 for a tech pack and I felt like it was a lot of bike for the money.

Back