2023 Highlander Press Release... now with turbo

Anything about a “grand” or bigger highlander? I kept reading rumors of it but couldn’t ever find any credible info.

Why would they scrap the V6 for an I4T that’s doesn’t provide better fuel economy? I just don’t understand that. I’m not opposed to small 4 cylinder turbos but I’m not sure if they are a great fit in heavy vehicles like that.
Simpler mechanically, cheaper to produce, more powerful.

Wont be as smooth, or sound as good. And long-term reliability probably wont be as good.

Why would they scrap the V6 for an I4T that’s doesn’t provide better fuel economy? I just don’t understand that. I’m not opposed to small 4 cylinder turbos but I’m not sure if they are a great fit in heavy vehicles like that.
Emissions. It says it in the press release

4Runner is smaller inside than current HL. Problem is that HL is probably smallest in this category. It is only bigger than CX9.

I was thinking of the recent Highlander. It has grown quite a bit from its original size. If it got any bigger then it should be in the next class up.

The CX9 is going to be discontinued from what I’ve read to make way for the CX-90.

Major changes from 21 to 2022 (e.g. V8 to TT V6) and lots of issues from what I've read. Maybe parts shortages and major redesign during covid was not a good idea ... I think it may need another year or two to resolve the issues!
something something muh 50% reduction in hooey gasses or whatever is what they said.

Irrelevant. 309lb-ft makes huge difference. 2.4T is going to be faster in every aspect that actually matters, especially mountain driving and high altitude.
Also it is lighter, also will decrease that famous Toyota understeer.
The 3.5 liter V6 revs much lower than a high-strung 4 cylinder, much smoother, quieter and much more reliable than a highly stressed hot running turbo 4 cylinder. As far as fuel economy goes, in the real world (vs the artificial world of EPA testing) typical turbo 4 cylinders get LOWER real world gas mileage as they are over stressed/over worked relative to a larger displacement, normally-aspirated engine. I'll agree with you that you live at high altitudes the turbo shines it's best in that environment. I own a 2019 Toyota Highlander V6 8-speed automatic (and previously owned a 2015 Toyota Highlander V6 6-speed automatic that was totaled by an uninsured motorist and replaced by my 2019 version) and the V6 is one sweet motor! Never had any issues with 'understeer' this isn't a real world consideration for the vast majority of SUV owners so I have no idea where that observation came from?

The 3.5 liter V6 revs much lower than a high-strung 4 cylinder, much smoother, quieter and much more reliable than a highly stressed hot running turbo 4 cylinder. As far as fuel economy goes, in the real world (vs the artificial world of EPA testing) typical turbo 4 cylinders get LOWER real world gas mileage as they are over stressed/over worked relative to a larger displacement, normally-aspirated engine. I'll agree with you that you live at high altitudes the turbo shines it's best in that environment. I own a 2019 Toyota Highlander V6 8-speed automatic (and previously owned a 2015 Toyota Highlander V6 6-speed automatic that was totaled by an uninsured motorist and replaced by my 2019 version) and the V6 is one sweet motor! Never had any issues with 'understeer' this isn't a real world consideration for the vast majority of SUV owners so I have no idea where that observation came from?
V6 is going to rev lower? No it won’t! It is actually possible that gearing on I4 bcs. low end torque will be set up to rev lower in two overdrive gears. 2GR-FKS has abysmal torque band. Actually 2GR-FE, feels stronger in real world driving. This I4 will obliterate your V6 in real world driving and if pushed, use less fuel.
Your car has transverse V6 sitting before front axles. There is understeer, a huge amount. You are talking performance but somehow doesn’t have understeer? It is not BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne.

V6 is going to rev lower? No it won’t! It is actually possible that gearing on I4 bcs. low end torque will be set up to rev lower in two overdrive gears. 2GR-FKS has abysmal torque band. Actually 2GR-FE, feels stronger in real world driving. This I4 will obliterate your V6 in real world driving and if pushed, use less fuel.
Your car has transverse V6 sitting before front axles. There is understeer, a huge amount. You are talking performance but somehow doesn’t have understeer? It is not BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne.
We will have to disagree on the performance and fuel economy predictions until real world testing/reviews are done. An I4 will not turn a Highlander into a BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne either, and the vast majority of the Highlander market segment couldn't care less about that either.

I think the biggest difference is going to be noise and vibration. My sister's got a 2015 that just glides down the road, not a hint of engine noise until she mashes the go pedal to pass the slow-donkeys. A turbo 4 will never match that, unfortunately. The days of quiet comfortable cruising are gone when the V8s and V6s leave the party.

All of my German turbo 4-bangers have gotten HIGHER real world gas mileage.

But my Highlander Hybrid has a Naturally aspirated 4-banger, and has gotten higher real world gas mileage in my daily commute, thanks to gliding along in slow traffic on the electric motors.

Toyota has actually had the 4cyl turbo for several years now. they’ve had one in the undersung Lexus GS 200T. It got good reviews as a sedate version of the GS 350, with the only weakness being a little tug-of-war between turbo lag and shift timing in the 8 spd transmission. There’s a modest mpg increase moving to the 4t, but the ”hot sedan” nature of the vehicle is basically neutered by it. im not aware, however, of any issues with the 4t on its own. This all to say, they've got some experience now, and hopefully have some of the teething worked out.

We will have to disagree on the performance and fuel economy predictions until real world testing/reviews are done. An I4 will not turn a Highlander into a BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne either, and the vast majority of the Highlander market segment couldn't care less about that either.
No it won’t turn it into X5. It is impossible whatsoever.
But, what moves these SUV’s is torque NOT hp! 309lb-ft at 1,500rpms is a dramatic increase over current engine which is 266 at 4,700rpms.
New engine is going to do between 2,000 and 4,000 much more than what old one can do at 4,700 to 5,500rpms. To catch up with new engine you will have to keep V6 around 5,000rpm constantly while new engine will still pull ahead while strolling between 2-4,000rpms.

Toyota has actually had the 4cyl turbo for several years now. they’ve had one in the undersung Lexus GS 200T. It got good reviews as a sedate version of the GS 350, with the only weakness being a little tug-of-war between turbo lag and shift timing in the 8 spd transmission. There’s a modest mpg increase moving to the 4t, but the ”hot sedan” nature of the vehicle is basically neutered by it. im not aware, however, of any issues with the 4t on its own. This all to say, they've got some experience now, and hopefully have some of the teething worked out.
It is mediocre engine compared to others in that category.

All of my German turbo 4-bangers have gotten HIGHER real world gas mileage.

But my Highlander Hybrid has a Naturally aspirated 4-banger, and has gotten higher real world gas mileage in my daily commute, thanks to gliding along in slow traffic on the electric motors.
I can pull 28mpg with Tiguan although it is known as gas guzzler bcs. that Aisin slushbox.
Same engine in CC with DSG would easily pull 36-38mpg on hwy.

Back