2022 Tundra Crew Max

Towing 30k lbs up the Ike with the same truck, they got 2.5 MPG, according to the onboard readout. Which as I've found is pretty accurate.

Watch the mpg gauge at the beginning when the accelerate up the ramp. He has it literally floored from 35 to 60mph and it drops to 4.7 and stays there. Once he reaches 60mph and lets up off the gas pedal, it still stays at 4.7mpg instead of climbing up like you would expect.

The Gladiator with the Pentastar, the TRX with the Hellcar, the Durango, etc all behave this same exact way. TFL uses that MPG readout for the scoring.

Thats great that the HD's read lower than 4.7 but the rest do not apparently.

Last edited:
Looks mean zilch to me
If it works hard and is ergonomic and suits the intended application, I am okay with a fish face.
Of course, mechanically it has to be spot on.

This is where I am at. If it performs the best for my intended purposes I don't really care about the looks. Or the brand. Or anything really. I buy what I need.

I made the mistake of pointing out on the Tundra forum that reliability isn't a top priority for me and they I simply want the truck that does the job the best. Oh man, they got mad about that. Reliability is EVERYTHING. :ROFLMAO: As if an F150, GM or Ram would leave me stranded every time I leave the driveway.

And we have a fresh turbo V6 with a very limited history and a Hemi with a sorted history...toss up
Only that V6 isn't all that fresh as it has been used on the Lexus Ls400 for a few years, on the truck it would have some minor adjustments,
but I think that it'll be OK. Toyota generally does all its testing before going to market. :cool:

So... on the TFL tests, Ike is the longest hard pull, but not the "toughest test"as they claim.

J2807 isnt tested on Ike.

Ike has very moderate ambient if not outright cold air compared to Davis Dam. They get overheats in 70 degree weather.
This cold air tremendously helps naturally aspirated engines, even though it gets thin.

Try Davis dam when its 115 out and see if you can keep your truck cool at max weight and 60 MPH.

My guess is that the toyota guys followed the math on the needed radiator size and the front of the truck and size of the opening reflects that.

compare to another 475LB foot truck the 7.3 ford and look at the size of its radiator.
The 2 are similar which begs the question - what aren't the other big 1/2 tons as large?

Not overheating is beauty in my eyes....

Last edited:
So... on the TFL tests, Ike is the longest hard pull, but not the "toughest test"as they claim.

J2807 isnt tested on Ike.

Ike has very moderate ambient if not outright cold air compared to Davis Dam. They get overheats in 70 degree weather.
This cold air tremendously helps naturally aspirated engines, even though it gets thin.

Try Davis dam when its 115 out and see if you can keep your truck cool at max weight and 60 MPH.

My guess is that the toyota guys followed the math on the needed radiator size and the front of the truck and size of the opening reflects that.

compare to another 475LB foot truck the 7.3 ford and look at the size of its radiator.
The 2 are similar which begs the question - what aren't the other big 1/2 tons as large?

Not overheating is beauty in my eyes....
I am guessing it has to do with the EPA. The F150 and Silverado is Ford’s and Gm’s bread and butter and they are investing a lot in efficiency.

Also the V8’s detune with both altitude and ambient temperatures. High temperatures at high elevation and a V8 is seriously hurting. The ecoboost can compensate for both at the same time. 400 hp at 11000’ on a hot day is possible from an Ecoboost and so it needs a ridiculous amount of cooling capacity to be able to actually use that power.

What'd you think of the Tundra?
I wrote this yesterday but removed a few tidbits.....

A big improvement over the old Tundra and the looks do not bother me at all. I did not like the center stack but the rest was very modern.

Simply put you get a spartan ride for $50k and a Limited trim is only a mid pack trim...stuff I liked is around $65k plus. Overpriced in my mind.

Here i always get better deals on 250-2500-3500 series trucks.

Yes the new Tundra rides nice and is refined but too expensive and lower tier trims are very spartan and expensive. I was going to have a look see underneath but it was pouring out.

The seats were a bit stiff but that could be because it is new. SR5's
Are pretty basic rides. My favorite red color was a $500 option.

If I was to go for a Tundra I would go for the hybrid as I am used to them and could see this as my sole vehicle. Personally I really am not a 1500-150 type of truck buyer.
To sum it up it will sell great to the intended crowd but it has nothing on the big three at all. Few features that are new with the exception of the rear light tailgate drop feature.

The old Tundra buyer will not be thrilled with the exhaust note.
Great truck just not the best truck.

Back