2022 Tundra Crew Max

While each HP needs to eat about the same, the key point in discussing turbos is the effect of altitude.

Normally Aspirated engines simply can’t eat at altitude, because their ability to ingest air, and thus burn fuel, declines with air density.

Turbos can, and do, compensate for the density change and can often make full rated HP while NA engines take a big loss.

Used to make me smile when I had my Volvo turbo wagon up in the mountain passes of Colorado (e.g. Eisenhower Tunnel) and watch ‘Vettes, Porsches, and BMWs fail to keep up as the Volvo made up for the altitude and made full HP, while they were off by 40% or so.

I like the idea of a twin turbo truck, compensating for altitude.

I‘ve admired the performance of my Buddy’s Super Duty for that same reason. The turbo diesel makes impressive power over the passes.
The 2018+ 3.5L Ecoboost comes with such large turbos from the factory that they dont even limit torque. The earlier ones did. My 2014 runs about 30 hp less at 6500’. The barometric pressure vs torque table on the 2018+ is just empty. So they can make 400 hp up to 11,000+ feet without issue.

It also makes more heat though due to the higher pressure ratios. And when you are at those elevations the cooling system doesn’t get as much air mass flowing through it. Thats why you see stories about ecoboosts overheating. They generate so much power at any elevation but their cooling systems are not big enough.

The Rams literally never show below 4.7 mpg. In fact no FCA products do, apparently. The TRX, the regular Ram 1500, the Durango, the Gladiator. They all showed 4.7mpg using different trailers on different days. Their computers clearly dont display any lower so literally any FCA IKE mpg results from the last few years should just be thrown in the garbage.

And they did a second IKE run with the Tundra more recently with the same trailer and matched the rams fake 4.7.

And just because Ecoboosts run hot, doesnt mean the tundra will. Compare the cooling systems from an F150 and Tundra and you’ll see what I mean. Ecoboosts cooling systems and intercooler are pathetic. And I am an ecoboost owner who tows year round at 6500’ or more.

My RAM dually will show whatever the current or average MPG is. I haven't seen below 2 MPG yet though. Doing hand calculations with every fill-up, the computer generated MPG readout, is pretty accurate. Towing at 36K+ GCVW, at altitude, on a hot day, it's never shown any propensity to get too hot. I've never seen the Aisin trans temp over 185° F, even when ambient temps are 100+° F, the grade is over 10% (non-Interstate roads), the A/C is cranked, and the Cummins is just purring away.

The forced induction Viper will happily get less than 4.7 MPG, too. Although it's rare to get the opportunity to see that.

The 2018+ 3.5L Ecoboost comes with such large turbos from the factory that they dont even limit torque. The earlier ones did. My 2014 runs about 30 hp less at 6500’. The barometric pressure vs torque table on the 2018+ is just empty. So they can make 400 hp up to 11,000+ feet without issue.

It also makes more heat though due to the higher pressure ratios. And when you are at those elevations the cooling system doesn’t get as much air mass flowing through it. Thats why you see stories about ecoboosts overheating. They generate so much power at any elevation but their cooling systems are not big enough.
The cooling system deficits should be able to be addressed by the aftermarket by now.

My RAM dually will show whatever the current or average MPG is. I haven't seen below 2 MPG yet though. Doing hand calculations with every fill-up, the computer generated MPG readout, is pretty accurate. Towing at 36K+ GCVW, at altitude, on a hot day, it's never shown any propensity to get too hot. I've never seen the Aisin trans temp over 185° F, even when ambient temps are 100+° F, the grade is over 10% (non-Interstate roads), the A/C is cranked, and the Cummins is just purring away.

The forced induction Viper will happily get less than 4.7 MPG, too. Although it's rare to get the opportunity to see that.
I was putting around a parking lot and accidentally reset the MPG thing in my 1500… it’ll definitely show below 4.7mpg, as did my Durango, 300, and Grand Caravan.

3d86e6bd92860645904bf7910b185833x.jpg

I always purchased 8' bed domestic
crew cabs and my last Ford was that but a standard cab. No more standard cabs. The 6.5' are in stock at the same dealer...same discount too.
Wow, what dealer? Might be worth the drive since nothing around here.

The cooling system deficits should be able to be addressed by the aftermarket by now.
I’m not sure if they can. With the 2.7 I’ve wondered if there might not be enough internal surface area to pull the heat effectively into the coolant around the limited surface of smaller cylinders. On the ford boards, it’s still an issue. I tuck in with the big trucks on the mountain climbs in our region, unless one is really hurting and need to go around. Appalachian hill climb can be 45-50 mph. I’ve heard maybe it can be different out west?

do the higher altitudes favor the heavier OTR diesels when it comes to the cooling issues? Like, would tucking in with them work, or does the 3.5 really undercool that much up high?

Thats great, but the testing on TFL using all sorts of different FCA vehicles over the last 1.5 years doesnt seem to agree.

On the 2015+ trucks it can usually be solved by a mishimoto radiator, but for the 11-14 truck the radiator is simply too small. They cant make them any wider or taller, just thicker, so its a diminishing return.

Thats great, but the testing on TFL using all sorts of different FCA vehicles over the last 1.5 years doesnt seem to agree.

Towing 30k lbs up the Ike with the same truck, they got 2.5 MPG, according to the onboard readout. Which as I've found is pretty accurate.

I had a 2019 Tundra and loved it. When I went to get a new truck I looked at my local Toyota dealership and they had a dark blue and red 2022. This thing is UGLY to me. It looks really long, too. Not a fan, They also had a $5,000 markup on both and these were only SR5's! I went straight to the Ford dealership.

Toyota screwed the pooch on this one.

Back