2022 Silverado 1500 W/T (updated body), 5.3, 10-speed

Nice looking truck. I love the steelies and lots of sidewall. I bet it rides nice.
One of the Houston volume dealers - despite a shortage of fancy trucks - had a big area loaded with these …
Asked them what’s up with that - he said all bought by oil companies and they come get them as need be …

Quick overview, pic and opinion.

This past Saturday, we took Dad's 2016 Silverado W/T, reg cab, long box 4.3, 6-speed out to Albany and traded it in on a brand new 2022 Silverado 1500.

New Silverado is the new-body style or updated body style. It is a W/T trim truck with the W/T value package which adds heated rear window, heated mirrors, cruise control, power mirrors and keyless entry. It is a 4x4 truck with a single-speed transfer case, so no 4LO. Drivetrain is an updated EcoTec3 L84 5.3 V8 without DFM. Engine runs in full V8 mode at all times. Transmission is the 10L80 10-speed automatic.

Engine is smooth as silk and you only would know it is a V8 when you give it a little go pedal. Transmission shifts very confidently and quick. If you get into it about 1/4 throttle, the engine will rev up to about 3-4k and shift a bunch of times while pulling like a train. Overall, very impressed with this drivetrain. Comparing this drivetrain's characteristics to my 2.7 EcoBoost and 3.5 PowerBoost hybrid with the 10-speed, it almost feels as if Ford does some TCC slipping to make it so the turbo lag is less of a slap in the face. To me it always felt like the Ford 10R80 was mushy and elastic and didn't know what it wanted to do. Being that this trans, the GM 10L80, and the Ford 10R80 are incredibly similar units (joint-build venture), it would make sense to me that in a N/A engine application, different trans. tuning would provide a more 'direct' shift pattern and act in this way. I can only imagine that this truck not having DFM also plays into how the trans. shifts. Overall I am very very impressed on how it feels.

I used to have some pretty fancy trucks, my PowerBoost Lariat was about $67-70k MSRP. It was sweet, but I gotta say, there isn't any 'truck' thing that a W/T trimmed truck like this can't do that my Fords did. It is a very nice truck with just enough convenience. Sometimes I think these (and I'm guilty of it myself!) trucks get a little too mall crawler and their tires never hit grass. What I am saying is after looking where trucks have gone, price wise, there is some definite attraction in a more base model truck, that is a truck. Especially when it has just about all you'd need - power locks, power windows, CarPlay, single zone AC, heated mirrors. Sometimes some of these, while they're nice features, get a little too much. Fancy expensive trucks are sweet, but the corresponding payment and high-stress job to pay for it sure isn't.

Truck drove great on the Thruway, just wish Aunt Kathy would find some tax money to make the 90 less moon crater like. Averaged 20.5 MPG which I thought was great out of a full-size V8 truck with no DFM.

Overall super happy, Dad said his last brand-new truck was his 1985 Sierra Classic. Really happy for him and I might have to consider something like this down the road for myself.
Whats the sticker on that? About 50K?

Sticker was $45,870. Got it for $44,870.
Which I wanted to add, for the price, it is very well equipped. There is nothing that this truck doesn’t have that a 10 year old truck would’ve had. Since considering a lot of these average truck prices are now $60k plus, seems pretty reasonable, especially in the market.

Do you know if you have the 8-speed (8L90)? I know there's quite a few who do not like that. I steer clear from an 8-speed.

You would be better off to steer clear of the 6 speed. Not because it doesn't work-it just doesn't work well. I have had three of them. He said he has the ten speed. Many like the ten speed. Probably doesn't like the constant shifting-but 8plus speed transmissions or CVTs are the world we live in.

redhat was asking dfarr67 who has a 2019 (which probably has the sometimes problematic 8 speed)...I hadn't read of issues with the 6 speed or the 10 speed GM transmissions...

Good luck with yours...

Bill

Do you know if you have the 8-speed (8L90)? I know there's quite a few who do not like that. I steer clear from an 8-speed.
Company truck- no choice, but I was expecting the v6. I think it is a six speed and when you press the loud pedal- just seems confused where it's at and where it's going- non responsive. Maybe I drive too easy. But it really pisses me off to the point I like my old 1990 383/700R4 much better.

They finally fixed the 8 speed for 22 Silverado/23 Colorado. A real fix (as in new parts). Its kind of a long read, but its really fascinating to find out what all the engineers were saying internally about this thing:

Would you mind paraphrasing what the engineers were saying? Thank you for posting the link just don't have the time to go to 106 pages 😁

Would you mind paraphrasing what the engineers were saying? Thank you for posting the link just don't have the time to go to 106 pages 😁
I caught the part they were referencing. Basically two fold. GM acknowledged that their original ATF fluid for the 8Lxx sucked and now have a revised fluid that helps the shudder. Additionally, sometime after the original 8L was released they re-released the 8L with an updated valve body and other guts. It is what GM is putting in the 8L vehicles now.

An 8L generation 2 if you will.

They toyed with the thought of releasing “update/improvement” kits but aren’t. The document also listed prices for these improvement kits.

I caught the part they were referencing. Basically two fold. GM acknowledged that their original ATF fluid for the 8Lxx sucked and now have a revised fluid that helps the shudder. Additionally, sometime after the original 8L was released they re-released the 8L with an updated valve body and other guts. It is what GM is putting in the 8L vehicles now.

They toyed with the thought of releasing “update/improvement” kits but aren’t. The document also listed prices for these improvement kits.
Thank you! I remember the 8spd woes, seemed to cause a lot of trouble for all involved.

I've been eyeing the Sierra's with the 2.7/8spd. The 2.7s seem stout and if the 8spd is good now, it's a strong consideration.

Thank you! I remember the 8spd woes, seemed to cause a lot of trouble for all involved.

I've been eyeing the Sierra's with the 2.7/8spd. The 2.7s seem stout and if the 8spd is good now, it's a strong consideration.
I also have been hearing reports of good reliability out of the 2.7T. Also, I guess GM extedned the powertrain warranty to 5yr/100k on them?

One of the Houston volume dealers - despite a shortage of fancy trucks - had a big area loaded with these …
Asked them what’s up with that - he said all bought by oil companies and they come get them as need be …
yeah and they want to force the rest of us to buy optioned up trucks.

So basically if you have an older one the only choice is an aftermarket shift kit and/or improved fluid. Way to stand by your customers, GM.

Back