2022 Sentra Oil Control System?

From the 2022 Sentra SV Owner's Manual:

OIL CONTROL SYSTEM (OCS)
Your vehicle's oil control system calculates engine oil and filter change intervals based on driving conditions. Driving in the following severe conditions will shorten the engine oil and filter change interval.
If the oil replacement indicator is displayed, change the engine oil within two weeks or less than 500 miles

Two of the "severe conditions" listed that shorten the OCS oil change interval:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles (8 km).
Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km) with outside temperatures remaining below freezing

Per the maintenance schedule, the synthetic 0W-20 SP oil and filter get changed every 10K miles for this Nissan MR20DD engine.

No word about 12 months maximum?
If there's a maximum of one year you'd do 5000 mile OCIs anyway.
That's what I'd suggest - 12 months, ideally after the winter season.

Do most cars have OCS? Does everybody dutifully change their oil when OCS alerts prompt that? ie: Any problems/failures with this tech -can it be trusted?

It's known as an 'OLM'. BMW started using it in the 1980s and VW
around 2000. Pretty common today. Some OLMs are better (taking
more factors into account), some are stupid. It depends.
Personally I actually use it though I just change the oil at half of the
(OLM) suggested interval. Both the Mini and GTI OLMs typically say
between 22.000 and 24.000 km (~14,000 mls), so I use to change oil
at 12.000 km (~7500 mls). Due to covid it's less currently but I still do
a max of 12 months.

You could always do what I did. I went once a year but kept track of hours then I set an interval that was best. If you get 200 hours before 5k it might be best to change early but under 200 hours go a year.

stick to somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 but definitely use a high quality filter AND a good synthetic oil of the manufacturer's recommended viscosity rating. change it sometime in the spring OR fall when the weather is nice. start the drain in the evening and let it drip all night. finish up the refill the next morning and you're good for another year. vehicles like my motorcycle and lawn mowers that don't get a lot of use see their oil changed every other year.

Keep us posted on how you like your new Sentra! We owned a 1993 and then a 2001 back in the day.

This is another direct injected Nissan DD series engine. I would not recommend going 10K miles between oil and filter changes on them. My belief on this is Nissan is trying to act like Toyota on this aspect, but they don't have the direct injection ironed out yet.

I've got a VQ35DD V6 in our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder and it turns the oil disturbingly black at 3000 miles or less and if you search the innerwebs, there's a crazy amount of VQ35DD owners where the engine is choked with sludge so badly, the engines had to be replaced. The VQ35DD came out in 2017. I could point you to around 10 instances of them being sludged badly in under 50K miles due to stretching the OCI.

I change the oil/filter on my 2019 Pathfinder at a 4000 mile interval and use synthetic 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 0w20. It makes me feel marginally more warm and fuzzy.

CVT fluid changes are hopefully still DIY doable on them. I know it is on my in-laws 2021 Rogue. There's a DD engine too, but my FIL would never go beyond 5K miles regardless.

Last edited:
You could always do what I did. I went once a year but kept track of hours then I set an interval that was best. If you get 200 hours before 5k it might be best to change early but under 200 hours go a year.
You track hours driven using an aftermarket hourmeter? First I've heard of that for cars.

Appreciate all the responses-
5K sounds fine, will go with 5K and always filter changes.

I am a fleet manager and it is my experience that the maintence monitoring systems that recommend oil changes based on driving conditions shorten the oil change intervals as the engine ages.
Brand new van, oil life monitor comes on around 8000 miles.
As the engine racks up miles the oil life monitor shortens that until eventually it comes on within a few hundred miles of resetting it.*
I prefer to ignore the oil life monitor and go with set oil change intervals.

*your results may vary
That's interesting . What brand? I've not seen this on GMs and have a Saturn and Cadillac over 100,000 miles.

My wife has a 2020 Sentra we're on the 2nd oil change which happens to fall a little over 5,000per yr taking shes just shy of 11k. Using supertech 0w20 and Mobil filter. 👍🏼good results. I think Nissan worked out many of their cvt quirks the transmission almost doesn't feel cvt like. Only issues we're having is with the infotainment volume knob and backup cam where we get a blue screen otherwise theres one recall something with the tie rod. Lots of luck on the new car.

Back