2022 kia Forte gt 1.6T

Getting ready to have the first oil change done on the car was told by the service advisor that kia told them they have to use 0W-20 in all cars now but the manual calls for 5W-30 full synthetic was wondering if anyone else has been told this and would it be OK to run 0W-20 in the car.

Getting ready to have the first oil change done on the car was told by the service advisor that kia told them they have to use 0W-20 in all cars now but the manual calls for 5W-30 full synthetic was wondering if anyone else has been told this and would it be OK to run 0W-20 in the car.
If this 1.6L T-GDi engine is same as what Hyundia has been offering since 2011, then there is plenty of UOAs and owner testimonials indicating that this engine runs best (as far as wear, valvetrain sounds, oil consumption, and fuel efficiency) on 40-grade oils.
With this in mind I wouldn't allow the dealership put 0W20 in there. Unless they sign a notarized form that they take full responsibility for any engine damage due to lower viscosity.
If one day you start changing the oil yourself, or get a trusted mechanic, then I'd recommend going with an oil that meets high-standard certifications such as Porsche A40 or MB 229.5. That would be oils like Mobil 1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40.

Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure:
This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack, A full lap of the Nordschleife, bypassing the modern GP track, is 20.832 km (12.944 mi) long. A stock Chevrolet Corvette C5 has a lap record at Nurburgring @8:40, stock Honda S2000 has a record@8:39, and stock Honda NSX is @8:38. Considering these numbers, this Porsche A40 simulation is equal to 80-90 miles of flatout track use. Or 100-120 miles if you drive Porsche 911 GT2 R with its lap record @6:38.
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program
Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter
will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.

- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.
One more thing for comparison. Just a rough idea of how the numbers stack up. Take everything with a grain of salt.
Most daily driven cars have an average speed (over the course of an OCI) of about ~35mph. That would make the 203hr test an equivalent to 7,105 miles of driving.
Assuming the average speeds are higher, let's say 50mph, and the 203hrs are now equivalent to 10,150 miles of driving.

0w-20 wouldn't kill the engine within the warranty but will probably reduce its lifespan by some degree. I'd use 5w-30 or higher. The use of 1 single product reduces costs and complexity for the dealer. It benefits them not you.

The advisor said they no longer carry 5W-30 bit do have 0W-30 asked why jump down to 0W-20 and not over to 0w-30 would make more sense to me just told me 0W-30 was for the stinger.

The advisor said they no longer carry 5W-30 bit do have 0W-30 asked why jump down to 0W-20 and not over to 0w-30 would make more sense to me just told me 0W-30 was for the stinger.
That service advisor has no clue about the proper fluid for the service he's advising. Tell him you wish to call Kia Consumer Assistance Center to confirm on that oil recommendation, and watch him change the tune.

That service advisor has no clue about the proper fluid for the service he's advising. Tell him you wish to call Kia Consumer Assistance Center to confirm on that oil recommendation, and watch him change the tune.
They gave me the number on hold now want to keep the 100k mile power train warranty on the car they said it had to be serviced at a kia dealer at least once a year. They kept calling 5W 30 a synthetic blend told them I have 5W 30 full synthetic in my wife's traverse. This is just the first time a dealer refuses to use the oil the car called for.

Called KIA customer assistance center they did confirm they are directing all KIA dealers to use 0W-20 in the 2022 forte GT 1.6T engine.

Called KIA customer assistance center they did confirm they are directing all KIA dealers to use 0W-20 in the 2022 forte GT 1.6T engine.
Very interesting. I'd be curious if there's an actual TSB outlining this directive.

Very interesting. I'd be curious if there's an actual TSB outlining this directive.
I have not been able to find anything with this information on it needs to be so people know what oil is going in their cars

Just change the oil yourself if you want to use 5w30. Or an Indy shop and supply your own oil.

If this 1.6L T-GDi engine is same as what Hyundia has been offering since 2011, then there is plenty of UOAs and owner testimonials indicating that this engine runs best (as far as wear, valvetrain sounds, oil consumption, and fuel efficiency) on 40-grade oils.
With this in mind I wouldn't allow the dealership put 0W20 in there. Unless they sign a notarized form that they take full responsibility for any engine damage due to lower viscosity.
If one day you start changing the oil yourself, or get a trusted mechanic, then I'd recommend going with an oil that meets high-standard certifications such as Porsche A40 or MB 229.5. That would be oils like Mobil 1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40.
If they did sign that form, what would they be responsible for? The OCI? It's doubtful that catastrophic damage (spun bearing etc) would take place in the span of 5 - 7K miles. More likely is the case that wear would be accelerated by using thinner than recommended. That wouldn't come to light for many thousands of miles.

I would take the vehicle back and have them correct the issue, especially in a turbo.

OP, very nice car. Congrats!

If they did sign that form, what would they be responsible for? The OCI? It's doubtful that catastrophic damage (spun bearing etc) would take place in the span of 5 - 7K miles. More likely is the case that wear would be accelerated by using thinner than recommended. That wouldn't come to light for many thousands of miles.

I would take the vehicle back and have them correct the issue, especially in a turbo.

OP, very nice car. Congrats!
One OCI won't kill it, unless OP takes it to the racetrack or twisties often. But from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like every OCI going forward in that engine, done by dealership, will be a 0W20. And THAT is what I consider a recipe for disaster. Low viscosity and turbocharger for many thousands of miles usually ends up in premature death of turbo, spun bearings, or bent/broken connecting rods due to wristpins not having enough MOFT and seizing up on a long highway roadtrip, etc. All this things Hyundai/Kia engines are known for. And despite 1.6T being one of the most reliable 4-cylinders Hyundia makes - it is still susceptible to the same fate, especially when it has low viscosity oil working against it.

And answering your question - that form (theoretically) should be a guarantee that they will replace the engine (even outside of warranty), when one of the above mentioned scenarios occurs, due to low viscosity oil that they push onto the customer.

Not a thing about thick or thin. My rule is the engineers have some inside info on what is best. So viscosity and OCI go hand in hand with your OM. But taking advice from even the best minds at BITOG go a far second place from the OM.

Back