2022 Hyundai SEL...any opinions?

I test drove an N-line and was impressed. It was comfortable, quiet, lots of space, had all the features I need, and handled with surprising agility.
Even with the tires overinflated to 37psi, it was a smooth ride.

The only ding I noticed was acceleration. I read somewhere that 0-60 is around 9 seconds. I love the snap of my 1.5T Accord (I clocked 7 seconds flat) but figure I'll adapt.

One other observation was the brakes. They stopped the car fine, but felt spongy compared to the Accord.
I've been spoiled by the Accord's great pedal feel and ability to stop on a dime.
I know I'll lose some mileage (the Honda has never returned less than 34mpg in widely mixed driving)...which kinda sucks with the high price of gas.
A good tradeoff, in moy opinion.

I'm not thrilled about the 32k price, but everything is expensive now.

Another moderate concern is the black cloth seats. I prefer cloth, but usually get light to medium gray. Black definitely absorbs heat, but in SE Michigan, it may not be an issue.
Any comments?

Oh, I just noticed that the SEL I'm considering has a MOONROOF, which I don't need and will never use Will it increase cabin noise?

Any thoughts on the car or on Hyundai in general?

Bob

Last edited:
Hyundai has a few models that have N-Line trim, Sonata, Veloster, Elantra, Tucson, Kona. Which one are you talking about?

I test drove an N-line and was impressed. It was comfortable, quiet, lots of space, had all the features I need, and handled with surprising agility.
Even with the tires overinflated to 37psi, it was a smooth ride.

The only ding I noticed was acceleration. I read somewhere that 0-60 is around 9 seconds. I love the snap of my 1.5T Accord (I clocked 7 seconds flat) but figure I'll adapt.

One other observation was the brakes. They stopped the car fine, but felt spongy compared to the Accord.
I've been spoiled by the Accord's great pedal feel and ability to stop on a dime.
I know I'll lose some mileage (the Honda has never returned less than 34mpg in widely mixed driving)...which kinda sucks with the high price of gas.
A good tradeoff, in moy opinion.

I'm not thrilled about the 32k price, but everything is expensive now.

Another moderate concern is the black cloth seats. I prefer cloth, but usually get light to medium gray. Black definitely absorbs heat, but in SE Michigan, it may not be an issue.
Any comments?

Oh, I just noticed that the SEL I'm considering has a MOONROOF, which I don't need and will never use Will it increase cabin noise?

Any thoughts on the car or on Hyundai in general?

Bob
0-60 is a bit slow, but at least twice as quick as a Prius!

SEL, indicated in the title of the thread. :)
They only had the N-Line available for test drive.

Bob

You should test drive a Kia K5 GT for the same price. I had a 2018 Elantra Sport black with black leather seats. It wasn't that bad in the summer. Hyundai put 70% factory tint on the Korean built Elantras in that gen. I'm in Ohio.

Well that is what I get for staffing a 22-hour OR case...
TUCSON!

I can't edit my initial post for some reason.

I'm going to get a few hours sleep.

Bob

the N-line on tuscon is appearance only.. no extra power.. that would explain the 0-60

all the other models with n-line get a boost. the sonata to around 300hp iirc.
the elantra from 150 to 200hp etc.

I like the new tuscon but dont know if I would fork out for an N-line that is appearance only.

I didn't check out the hybrid.

I would guess the systems have matured greatly in performance and reliability.
But more parts = more potential failure points...so I remain wary.

I did test drive a 19 hybrid RAV4.
It was impressively seamless.

Bob

Back