Rental review - 2020 Hyundai Elantra SEL

Took a trip to Minneapolis area this past weekend to visit family and ended up in a 2020 (!?!?) Hyundai Elantra SEL from Alamo - this was the last body style before Hyundai designers went nuts with the body creasing and the catfish face. I was shocked they still had 2020's in the fleet but this is not the first time with a 2+ year rental since the new car shortage so I guess its going to be a thing, this one had an eye popping 50k miles on it.

Good:

- Well built. Even with 50k hard rental miles on it not a squeak, rattle, odd noise or really anything broken or really even worn out, it still really looked new outside a few exterior scratches and scrapes.

- Great features. Dual zone auto climate, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, all the safety nannies (it would keep itself in the lane but was not self driving), auto headlights. One odd miss was it still had regular old keys with fobs - no keyless access or start.

- Fantastic fuel economy. For the final year of this generation Elantra they put in their version of the CVT (Hyundai calls it IVT) - IIRC the base 2.0 engine with IVT is rated at 33/41 and I could easily see it getting those numbers. Car was indicating 33.8 MPG when I filled up and my hand calculated was 31.8 MPG - this was a mix of probably 50/40/10 (hwy/rural/urban) driving but there was about 45 minutes of idling tossed in that did not help the overall average.

- Decent CVT. This Hyundai CVT works very well and doesn't have any rubberband effect at all that I noticed. The only bad is it was far more responsive (quicker to rev) than Nissan Xtronic boxes so any heavy throttle the engine revved to the moon pretty much immediately, Nissan Xtronic at least kinda delays the rev to the moon so you have a little more time to modulate. Hyundai - it was ¾ throttle to hop on freeway and bam you shoot from 2k to 5k RPM before you can lift a little off the pedal.

Bad:

- Oh that 2.0 Nu engine. Good power and great fuel economy but dang is it noisy and does not sound very refined. I may have some revisionist history but I don't recall the Elantra's competitors sounding that loud and unrefined.

- Questionable engine reliability. Not going to lie the Hyundai/Kia ongoing engine failure saga crossed my mind a couple times as we were driving in more remote areas.

Overall:

- I would grab it as a rental again - next time maybe I'll get the new body style. The ?? on Hyundai/Kia powertrains stops me dead in my tracks from ever consider one to park in my driveway.

IMG_5795.JPG

For my type of car purchasing, I much prefer a 50K, couple year old car review over a 3K nearly brand new car review. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I'd be hesitant to buy anything with the plagued engines also. If one doesn't have long term ownership in mind (or wants to roll the dice), I think you can do worse for a cheap economy car.

- Oh that 2.0 Nu engine. Good power and great fuel economy but dang is it noisy and does not sound very refined. I may have some revisionist history but I don't recall the Elantra's competitors sounding that loud and unrefined.
I noticed the same "noise" on a late model 2.5 Camry we rented earlier this year.
i think you are correct in regards to the fuel economy. I got 800kms/500 miles on the first 3/4 of a tank before I decided to fill it (I easily could have gotten 1000kms before filling it).

How many '20 and up engine failures do you hear about?
Not sure - considering the the recall/replacement program seems to expand further every single year ya never know. It's honestly hard to keep track of which engines are NOT problematic.

Oh wait....here we are again.

Summary:
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Elantra, 2019-2021 Kona and Veloster vehicles equipped with 2.0L Nu MPI engines. The piston oil rings may not have been properly heat-treated, which could result in engine damage.

Hyundai seems to get a bad rap around here lately. They've certainly had their share of problems but I don't think that's all that unique. Other manufacturers do too. Heck, Ford seems to issue new recalls daily and they have been building cars much longer than Hyundai.

Hyundai seems to get a bad rap around here lately. They've certainly had their share of problems but I don't think that's all that unique. Other manufacturers do too. Heck, Ford seems to issue new recalls daily and they have been building cars much longer than Hyundai.
Definitely true as any manufacturer can/does have issues at times. I get a weekly newsletter for national recalls and quite often see BMW, Porsche, Bentley, Mercedes, etc. mentioned for things that shouldn't be overlooked, but still make it out to the general public.

You mean like this:?

Reactions: hrv
I think the problem with Hyundai/Kia is the engine problems have been going on since at least 2011 with the Theta II in the Sonata, Nu has had its own problems (to a lesser extent) since 2010 in the Elantra. Here we are with 2021 MY cars (10 model years later) still with engine destroying design defects.

It's not that other autos don't have recall faults (they all do) - its just that Hyundai/Kia doesn't seem to care about fixing the design defect.

Back