2021 VW Atlas Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE UOA

Here is UOA Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE. This is lates version of this oil that has BMW LL04 approval. Pour point is -52, so definitely some PAO there.
The additive pack is obviously the newest one. Driving conditions may be 3,500 aggressive highway driving, rest is a city. Road trip to Las Vegas and back, skiing with kids. Whenever I drive up the mountains, I manually shift or downshift, and I am in redline all the time.
Motul EFE -0W30 UOA-jpg.jpg

Thanks for posting. Something tells me that they're using PAO and Borate Esters in this blend. This looks close to Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30, with Motul's own twist. I think both of these oils share the same Infineum add pack. Lots of assumptions, however, I like it.

I've been drooling over a 2024 GTI 6-speed manual, and was wondering what the recommended oil for those is. I assume it's Euro 0W-30 (VW504), right?

Thanks for posting. Something tells me that they're using PAO and Borate Esters in this blend. This looks close to Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30, with Motul's own twist. I think both of these oils share the same Infineum add pack. Lots of assumptions, however, I like it.

I've been drooling over a 2024 GTI 6-speed manual, and was wondering what the recommended oil for those is. I assume it's Euro 0W-30 (VW504), right?
I think for 2024 it will be VW508.00/509.00 0W20.
Yeah, I think it is Infineum but definitely Motul’s twist. I generally drive my cars on the edge, whether is BMW or VW or my minivan I had before. On Atlas my snow tires have chipping from hard cornering 😂.
All UOA I made I figured that driving slow to warm it up, then driving it like you stole it, works best :)

Thanks for posting. Something tells me that they're using PAO and Borate Esters in this blend.
Yeah the boron. This oil I don't think is long drain capable with a detergent package that low. Looks ok otherwise. Stayed in grade.

TAN/TBN is getting close.

I saw a recent 10w40 Motul VOA. Oxidation value was 6. Likely no ester unless they're using ANs.

Wear is very low & if you have a need for 0w due to cold then this should work.
The other column is Motul X-Clean+ 5W30. In Colorado you really don’t need 0W, although I do start engine very often in -20 bcs. skiing a lot. But I use in mountains more my BMW with 5W40, and it is fine.
I think there is really no difference. Both oils held well. 5W30 had bit better grade retention but also 4,200 miles road trip under its belt.

Last edited:
Yeah the boron. This oil I don't think is long drain capable with a detergent package that low. Looks ok otherwise. Stayed in grade.

TAN/TBN is getting close.

I saw a recent 10w40 Motul VOA. Oxidation value was 6. Likely no ester unless they're using ANs.
Generally, not an issues anymore. Also, if it has esters, it will have higher starting TAN.

The other column is Motul X-Clean+ 5W30. In Colorado you really don’t need 0W, although I do start engine very often in -20 bcs. skiing a lot. But I use in mountains more my BMW with 5W40, and it is fine.
I think there is really no difference. Both oils held well. 5W30 had bit better grade retention but also 4,200 miles road trip under its belt.
Looks like the same add pack on both too.

3 ppm Al, 9 ppm Fe, 0 ppm Cu after 5000 mls during winter. No less than excellent. And stunning.
All numbers almost exactly same with both X-Clean 0W-30 and 5W-30. Stunning again.
I am done for some time doing UOA on this car. I did first UOA just to check how engine is doing. Second one was bcs. new Motul 0W30 formulation. Next UOA will be new Motul 5W40 300V in BMW 5k OCI + track time.

Well if I was worried about buying the wife a 2024 Atlas with the 2.0T, I’m not now.

Real nice UOAs. Was the 5w30 prior UOA a Euro oil.... maybe SN? Really low Magnesium on that one also.
Maybe since the X-Clean 5w30 hasn't PAO, would it possibly be enriched with ESTER?

I'll bet with the added TAN and TBN, Blackstone Lab really upped-the-cost of this analysis.

Last edited:
Real nice UOAs. Was the 5w30 prior UOA a Euro oil.... maybe SN? Really low Magnesium on that one also.
Maybe since the X-Clean 5w30 hasn't PAO, would it possibly be enriched with ESTER?

I'll bet with the added TAN and TBN, Blackstone Lab really upped-the-cost of this analysis.
Unlikely. I saw a recent VOA of their 8100 Power oil and oxidation was 14. Motul hypes their oils with the idea you're getting more exotic group V and other than their 300V line I don't think that is the case at all.

Last edited:
Back