2021 Tiguan 2.0T, FF, First OC 10,188mi VW 508 0w20

Probably close cousins if not step brothers for sure. Haha. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s from the same assembly line (or should I say… blending line)

Blame the EU, with their every increasingly stringent Euro emissions requirements, because of Climate Change.

At least be glad Gas Particulate Filters haven't crossed the Atlantic Ocean yet
Really? For many, many years the USA's emission controls were more stringent than those of the European countries. It's only in the last few years that the EU has gone farther.

Blame the EU, with their every increasingly stringent Euro emissions requirements, because of Climate Change.

At least be glad Gas Particulate Filters haven't crossed the Atlantic Ocean yet
Actually, I wonder if the 1.5TSI on my Taos and the new Jetta have the GPF, I know they're used in Europe. GPFs shouldn't be too bad since there is no regeneration cycle because of higher EGTs to start.

This has convinced me to run the FF in my Taos out to 10k. It's winter and I don't really feel like getting on the cold ground to change the oil, and the first 2 changes are free anyway. This just further illustrates how fine of an oil the 508 spec results in. Will be interesting to compare it.

I short changed my 1.4 at 2800 to get break in junk out, but I completely agree the VW 508s are up to the task.
So why change it then, "break in junk" has been an old wife's tale for years now. It's quite obvious there is zero need to change early for sometime.

So why change it then, "break in junk" has been an old wife's tale for years now. It's quite obvious there is zero need to change early for sometime.
Not sure about that. I've seen more fine metal flakes in the initial oil change than in subsequent ones. Also, if you give any credit to oil analysis, they always have higher "wear metals" during the first few changes.

I say it's a good thing to spill and fill early.

Not sure about that. I've seen more fine metal flakes in the initial oil change than in subsequent ones. Also, if you give any credit to oil analysis, they always have higher "wear metals" during the first few changes.

I say it's a good thing to spill and fill early.
We have oil filters for a reason, anything that is in the pan is there because it's not circulating through the oil system. Higher wear metals are expected in any new engine, flushing oil down the drain for a feel good practice is just that.

I say it's stupid just like the people idling for 15 plus minutes on mildly cold day only to drive 10 miles.

We have oil filters for a reason, anything that is in the pan is there because it's not circulating through the oil system. Higher wear metals are expected in any new engine, flushing oil down the drain for a feel good practice is just that.

I say it's stupid just like the people idling for 15 plus minutes on mildly cold day only to drive 10 miles.

It’s a personal decision for the owner. Why not leave it at that?

That’s your opinion, and that’s ok!

What do you mean exactly? I'm interested since I keep my vehicles a very long time and I have a relatively new Tiguan.
I'm not going to change your mind so I'm not going to try . I have a couple 1.8ts and I see what amount of carbon comes out of these engines at 4k miles . I'll leave it at that .

I'm not going to change your mind so I'm not going to try . I have a couple 1.8ts and I see what amount of carbon comes out of these engines at 4k miles . I'll leave it at that .
I honestly don’t know what you’re referring to. The oil? The filter? The engine? I’ve looked at the filters on my 2.0 when I change the oil and I’ve truly seen nothing on it.

I honestly don’t know what you’re referring to. The oil? The filter? The engine? I’ve looked at the filters on my 2.0 when I change the oil and I’ve truly seen nothing on it.
When I change my oil I catch it in a white bucket and I let it sit in the bucket for a week maybe two . When I pour it back into the jug there is always a fair amount of carbon on the bottom of bucket .
Carbon particles are too small for the filter to capture . Carbon wears chains , guides and everything it contacts .
My engines are perfectly maintained , plugs every 30k , coils every 30k . New pcv at 50k , new air filters 20k etc .I won't go over 4k in oil

Last edited:
When I change my oil I catch it in a white bucket and I let it sit in the bucket for a week maybe two . When I pour it back into the jug there is always a fair amount of carbon on the bottom of bucket .
Carbon particles are too small for the filter to capture . Carbon wears chains , guides and everything it contacts .
My engines are perfectly maintained , plugs every 30k , coils every 30k . New pcv at 50k , new air filters 20k etc .I won't go over 4k in oil
You say perfectly maintained but replacing coils every 30k seems incredibly excessive. You have no evidence that the "Carbon" you see in the bucket is causing damage, or if it is in fact carbon at all- your assertion that the filters will not capture carbon particles as far as I can tell has no evidence either. It's great for you to pour unlimited money into preventative maintenance, but that's no reason to make a snide comment about "you must not want to keep it very long" indicating that he is poorly maintaining his vehicle and doesn't care about it.

Back