2021 Mazda MX-5 2.0L, Factory Fill 0W-20, 3800 miles, 12 months

Plan to keep my drain intervals at 5000 miles, but the factory fill oil (Idemitsu?) had been in the sump for exactly a year since it was manufactured. Also, after the 500 mile break in, I was not shy about letting the fun little motor live in the upper RPM band, so decided to play it safe and dump it.

I know initial oil drain can’t really tell much about the engine or how the oil performed, so this analysis was more about seeing what formulation Mazda engineers are recommending. Seems they still like the high moly in their oils. I suspected as much so swapped out for Valvoline 0W-20 EP and a Fram Ultra filter.

One other peculiarity. The OEM Tokyo Roki filter did not have an ADBV. Wondering if it’s an issue that the Fram does.
A71A0F1A-F9A1-4B68-B7E5-F59CFEF2674C.jpeg

Doesn't look bad for a factory fill but i don't think the oem oil they sell at the dealer will look as good. For a gdi engine fuel dilution looks like a non issue. That factory fill is good stuff and i'd've left it in there as its gonna continue to break in anyway. The oem roki filters are alright but I'd also upgrade like you did. And if it didn't have a adbv it probably didn't need one from engine design. Some engines don't really need an adbv which is good.

Doesn't look bad for a factory fill but i don't think the oem oil they sell at the dealer will look as good. For a gdi engine fuel dilution looks like a non issue. That factory fill is good stuff and i'd've left it in there as its gonna continue to break in anyway. The oem roki filters are alright but I'd also upgrade like you did. And if it didn't have a adbv it probably didn't need one from engine design. Some engines don't really need an adbv which is good.
Thanks for the feedback and agree with all your points. Probably not a big deal regarding the ADBV, just hadn’t seen a filter without one in a long time.

Thanks for the feedback and agree with all your points. Probably not a big deal regarding the ADBV, just hadn’t seen a filter without one in a long time.
Vertical top screwing filters don't really need one. Sideways or vertical bottom screwing yes. But yeah it seems weird not having one. But if that's what an oem filter is then it's for a reason. But it doesn't hurt a single thing to have one.

Would i ever put filter without an adbv on my 03 5.3 sierra with a sideways filter? not a chance. Would I use one on all my others except the 5.3 sierra? sure. No adbv isn't a problem the rest are vertical top screwing.

I really wish they’d separate the newer MX-5 engine from the typical Skyactiv-G 2.0L. The Miata’s engine has now been modified specifically for the Miata and a desire for a higher rev limit. Mazda separates the two engines. The Lab should as well, in my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I really wish they’d separate the newer MX-5 engine from the typical Skyactiv-G 2.0L. The Miata’s engine has now been modified specifically for the Miata and a desire for a higher rev limit. Mazda separates the two engines. The Lab should as well, in my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s a good point you make but not sure how practical it would be for the lab to separate every variation of the same basic motor. From what I’ve gathered the ND2 engine isn’t radically different from the prior version…just some tweaks to make it breathe better and rev faster.

The oem filters dont have an adbv but they don't affect anything. I have a uoa posted from when I had a 2019. 5-6k seems like a good interval. Enjoy the car, I surely miss it.

Plan to keep my drain intervals at 5000 miles, but the factory fill oil (Idemitsu?) had been in the sump for exactly a year since it was manufactured. Also, after the 500 mile break in, I was not shy about letting the fun little motor live in the upper RPM band, so decided to play it safe and dump it.

I know initial oil drain can’t really tell much about the engine or how the oil performed, so this analysis was more about seeing what formulation Mazda engineers are recommending. Seems they still like the high moly in their oils. I suspected as much so swapped out for Valvoline 0W-20 EP and a Fram Ultra filter.

One other peculiarity. The OEM Tokyo Roki filter did not have an ADBV. Wondering if it’s an issue that the Fram does.View attachment 99661
Nice ride. Did the 0w-20 VEP "feel" heavier than the FF in your driving?

Nice ride. Did the 0w-20 VEP "feel" heavier than the FF in your driving?
Thanks! This car is all about the driver feeling everything going on with it, but if there is a difference I haven’t detected it.

there is a mazda bulletin out there stating that these engines require a filter with NO ANTI DRAINBACK VALVE. im trying to find it but it has something to do with their oiling system. the only 2 filter avail are oem mazda and the wix 57002

there is a mazda bulletin out there stating that these engines require a filter with NO ANTI DRAINBACK VALVE. im trying to find it but it has something to do with their oiling system. the only 2 filter avail are oem mazda and the wix 57002
Not an automotive engineer, but I can’t see how an ADBV would be detrimental to this engine with its bottom mounted filter that is comically small. Also don’t see the harm in not having one. Perhaps someone more technical minded can chime in?

Back