2021 Ford Fiesta ST 1.5L EcoBoost – M2C-960A1

Long-time lurker, first-time posting here. I’m from Australia and am an avid Ford Performance fan, with a 2010 Mk2 Focus RS (Volvo 2.5T engine) and 2017 Mk3 Focus RS (2.3L EcoBoost) in the driveway, as well as a 2012 Fiesta Metal (1.6L NA Sigma). The Focus RSs both use Castrol Edge Professional A3 0W-40 (M2C-937A) and MANN filters. The Fiesta Metal loves Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30 (A5/B5 and M2C-913D).

We have one of the latest Fiesta STs coming soon as it will be the last ever, and I’ve been unable to work out which oil would be the best to run in it that’s locally available. The current gen ST has the new 1.5L three cylinder ‘Dragon’ EcoBoost with timing chain, belt-in-oil driven oil pump, cylinder deactivation, direct and port fuel injection, and a Gasoline Particulate Filter. The car calls for a 5W-20 SP/GF-6A, and Ford M2C-960A1. My options here are:

– Castrol Magnatec 5W20 (A$23/L)
Meets the Ford spec, SP and GF-6A, 8.0cst@100c, 0.72% SA. Seems like a reasonable oil but nothing all that special.

– Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 5W20 (A$19/L)
“Recommend for” the Ford spec, meets SP and GF-6A, 8.5cst@100c, 0.9% SA. Seems like a good product but the higher SA is a slight concern as the Fiesta has a GPF.

– Liqui Moly Molygen 5W20 (A$20/L)
“Recommend for” the Ford spec, meets SP and GF-6A, 8.8cst@100c,
Or should I just throw caution to the wind and run a 5W-30 or 0W-40 or something completely different? I want to keep this car forever so I’d rather make it last than follow the warranty requirements just to have it blow up in five years. Keep in mind the GPF though.

Sorry for the long first post, thank you all for your input.

Hi Mate, not many Ford M2C-960A1 oils in Australia, but the three you listed above look good to me, take your pick.

From what I can tell 960A1 is based on 948B (1.0 liter, 3-cylinder EcoBoost) which was based on Euro ACEA C2. This C2 isn't listed anymore by Ford, it's now all SP & GF-6, but I'm using it as a reference point for your options.

C2 is mid-HTHS (>=2.9 cP & < 3.5 cP) and mid-SAPS (
If you wanted to keep the SAPS level the same (protect GPF), but thicker (more HTHS for engine protection) then you could consider a C3 oil ( same SAPS but HTHS >= 3.5 cP).

If you wanted less SAPS and also more HTHS than C2, then C4 is = 3.5 cP. But I would not go down this very low SAPS path, as Australian fuel still has more sulphur than most of the world, and you need SAPS to protect from acid buildup caused by sulphur in the fuel.

Nothing wrong with your choices above, looks like Magnatec 5W20 carries the official Ford spec, and I would just use this under warranty.

No worries mate.

To me a high-SAPS oil would carry a Euro ACEA A3 or A5 rating, like that SynPower 5W30 FE you are using (great oil BTW).

A good example is Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, it has a SAPS of 1.2% This is a high-SAPS oil, and not suitable for your application.

All the examples you gave in your opening post were 0.7% to 0.9% SAPS. That looks fine to me as a mid-SAPS oil for your car. To me American SP/GF-6/Dexos1 oils are getting very close to Euro ACEA C2 oils in many ways.

But for your engine, you want to see SP or GF-6A or Dexos1-Gen2/3 as this ensures it also includes a LSPI test for your DI-Turbo engine.

So API SP & ACEA C2 or API SP & Dexos1-Gen3 would be my personal hunting ground.

Thank you all for your input. I’ve ended up buying some of the LM AA 5W-20 mostly because I found it on special for just under $13/L and seems like it’ll do the job well enough

5w-30 and change it often. Synthetic-rubber belt in oil…..genius!!! (For planned obsolescence)
EVERYTHING made today has planned obsolescence..that Fiesta will last a very long time..w/ good oil & 5k max OCI. If it's 6mos tho & you don't hit 5k mis always get the oil changed! We've gotten 240k mis outta a Gen2 -1.5L in a '17 Escape AWD.. ran well when we gave to our niece. My son has '19 Mustang w/gen2 - 2.3L TGDI. Has track pack w/auxiliary engine coolers. 6spd manual. Very quick car! He beats it mercilessly but is top notch w/maintenance. That's why had no reservations on new gen '20 Ranger w/Gen2 - 2.3L TGDI. 36k mis & been impeccable.. fun/comfy daily driver. Excellent engine/tranny combo. Its closer to RS rally car 2.3L then Mustang 2.3L in design actually.

I'd go with Liqui Moly Molygen, as you are getting it cheaper (not cheap, though) than Magnatec. Folks jump on Liqui Moly in general, but I think it's as good as most out there. Good luck.

NO xxW20 oils in anything unless its veer-very cold IMO!!
Amazing my 10 year old/125K Ford Focus bought new on 5W20 the whole time mostly MC syn blend is running🤦‍♂️

I'd go with Liqui Moly Molygen, as you are getting it cheaper (not cheap, though) than Magnatec. Folks jump on Liqui Moly in general, but I think it's as good as most out there. Good luck.
Thanks. I ended up running the Special Tec AA 5W-20 and it loved it. Sold that particular car and am taking delivery of a facelift ST (final version of Fiesta ever) next week. It’s never going back to the dealer, and I reckon the green Molygen should go into the green car (see my profile pic for reference)!

Thanks everyone for your help

Thanks. I ended up running the Special Tec AA 5W-20 and it loved it. Sold that particular car and am taking delivery of a facelift ST (final version of Fiesta ever) next week. It’s never going back to the dealer, and I reckon the green Molygen should go into the green car (see my profile pic for reference)!

Thanks everyone for your help
20200505_064200.jpg

In America according to owners manual either 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil is acceptable.
OW-20 is recommended in extreme cold.
During normal weather and normal operation both are a 20 weight oil and perform identical.
Both can be used interchangeably for normal conditions.

API SP/ GF6 and especially Dexos 1g2/3 are developed around GDI / T-GDI vehicles.
Use the recommended viscosity oil that meets the above standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: SR5
Resurrecting my own thread here as I just can’t make my mind up…

I’ve taken delivery of my new Fiesta ST and now can’t decide what oil to run. Sorry.
This car will be a keeper for as long as I am allowed to drive it into the EV age, so I want it to last.

Do I run the 5W-20 as discussed before, or is it a reasonable idea to run a d1g3 5W-30?

I can get Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 d1g3 easily and fairly cheaply so I’ve been considering it. It’s that or just run the recommended 5W-20 and forget about it.

Thanks for your help. Car pictured for reference

IMG_1733.jpeg

Long-time lurker, first-time posting here. I’m from Australia and am an avid Ford Performance fan, with a 2010 Mk2 Focus RS (Volvo 2.5T engine) and 2017 Mk3 Focus RS (2.3L EcoBoost) in the driveway, as well as a 2012 Fiesta Metal (1.6L NA Sigma). The Focus RSs both use Castrol Edge Professional A3 0W-40 (M2C-937A) and MANN filters. The Fiesta Metal loves Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30 (A5/B5 and M2C-913D).

We have one of the latest Fiesta STs coming soon as it will be the last ever, and I’ve been unable to work out which oil would be the best to run in it that’s locally available. The current gen ST has the new 1.5L three cylinder ‘Dragon’ EcoBoost with timing chain, belt-in-oil driven oil pump, cylinder deactivation, direct and port fuel injection, and a Gasoline Particulate Filter. The car calls for a 5W-20 SP/GF-6A, and Ford M2C-960A1. My options here are:

– Castrol Magnatec 5W20 (A$23/L)
Meets the Ford spec, SP and GF-6A, 8.0cst@100c, 0.72% SA. Seems like a reasonable oil but nothing all that special.

– Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 5W20 (A$19/L)
“Recommend for” the Ford spec, meets SP and GF-6A, 8.5cst@100c, 0.9% SA. Seems like a good product but the higher SA is a slight concern as the Fiesta has a GPF.

– Liqui Moly Molygen 5W20 (A$20/L)
“Recommend for” the Ford spec, meets SP and GF-6A, 8.8cst@100c,
Or should I just throw caution to the wind and run a 5W-30 or 0W-40 or something completely different? I want to keep this car forever so I’d rather make it last than follow the warranty requirements just to have it blow up in five years. Keep in mind the GPF though.

Sorry for the long first post, thank you all for your input.
I have same vehicle. When and how donwe have this wet oil pump belt changed? Im at 104,000 miles on mine already

Back