2021 F150 Police truck

Interesting....my '17 Focus and '18 Mustang have this. Didn't know it was anything new to a Ford.

The newest one is Police Engine Idle, which allows the officer to step out of the vehicle with the key, and the vehicle can be locked while it's running.

That truck would be nice to buy second hand once they dispose of them from police service.

Negative K. I speak for me only. After 21 years as a cop I would not want to touch ANY vehicle that was in police service. Complete front end build and transmission is a huge who knows....I speak from my experience and yours may differ. Many agencies do not auction off vehicles unless it is totally useless or has issue after issue, after issue.

Negative K. I speak for me only. After 21 years as a cop I would not want to touch ANY vehicle that was in police service. Complete front end build and transmission is a huge who knows....I speak from my experience and yours may differ. Many agencies do not auction off vehicles unless it is totally useless or has issue after issue, after issue.
While I do understand your perspective, I think it varies case by case. If you get one from an agency that miles vehicles out at 160,000km, there can still be a lot of life left. This is especially true of highway patrol and supervisor vehicles. Vehicles from general patrol are a lot more likely to be beat to death.

After 3 years, I'm still driving a 2013 Tahoe PPV with 10,500 hours on it, and 83kmi. It has been rode hard, but still has a lot running left in it, and is fun to drive. I have autocrossed it once, and even put on new government priced Goodyear cop tires.

Attachments

• IMG_3257.JPG
    IMG_3257.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Hutchinson-Police-Vehicle-21.jpg
    Hutchinson-Police-Vehicle-21.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 32
After 3 years, I'm still driving a 2013 Tahoe PPV with 10,500 hours on it, and 83kmi. It has been rode hard, but still has a lot running left in it, and is fun to drive. I have autocrossed it once, and even put on new government priced Goodyear cop tires.
Nicely done. Trucks look better with smaller wheels and more meat on the tires.

I don't know if I'd actually but a police vehicle. I see a few explore and chargers ex police for sale for very good prices locally. Maybe years from now I would consider it.

Even with higher mileage, they would be better maintained that a huge mileage vehicle from an unknown owner.

I've bought 2 Police motorcycles in my life, and they both ran great. 1 was used in Jersey city NJ, and the other was from Madison Nj I believe. The JC bike was kinda beat up. Dent's and scratches all over it, but it ran fine. The creepy thing about it was, it had what my wife and I thought was blood burned into the muffler that wouldn't wash off. It had jumped alot of curbs in it's day, by the missing front fender trim, and the floorboards were ground down so sharp you could have shaved with them. The other bike looked alot better and ran as good or better then one I would have bought off a private owner.,,,

Only a Supervisor vehicle would be good. A couple of friends bought 2012-2014 Supervisor PPV Tahoe's with over 150K miles on them and had no issues with them. They got them from a dealer in New Jersey.

Only a Supervisor vehicle would be good. A couple of friends bought 2012-2014 Supervisor PPV Tahoe's with over 150K miles on them and had no issues with them. They got them from a dealer in New Jersey.
My 13 PPV was a supervisor vehicle, but with the lower miles it had over 10k operating hours. I figured it ran all day, about 40 hours a week, and was involved with a few off road incidents from looking at the bottom side. When your gone from the office all day, they probably had to log 40 hours on the truck. Ha

Last edited:
Guess it depends on the department. Around here the supervisors get the brand new cars, and then everyone down the line does the car shuffle as the the ex-supervisor cars get kicked down the line. The last car I had access to for doing hospital transports was a 2013 V6 charger with 265,000+ on it. It was still in good shape, appearance-wise, but man was it ever spanked mechanically. Power steering groaned, weird brake noises, odd electrical gremlins.

Then one day it just disappeared and I never bothered to ask where it went. 😁

That truck would be nice to buy second hand once they dispose of them from police service.
Really liked the Ford sedan I had last year. Can't wait to try another one similar.

And no, not in front of the million dollar houses. I didn't feel like taking a ride in the back seat of one of these.

Reactions: JC1
I’d want it if they are like the cars and can withstand a 75mph rear crash. And the police cars around here still have real keys for everything so if it had that I definitely would want it.

While I do understand your perspective, I think it varies case by case. If you get one from an agency that miles vehicles out at 160,000km, there can still be a lot of life left. This is especially true of highway patrol and supervisor vehicles. Vehicles from general patrol are a lot more likely to be beat to death.

I can agree with that. It sure will and does vary per agency. There are agencies that have specific parameters and will put a police vehicle to pasture well before the less progressive police departments do.

I've bought 2 Police motorcycles in my life, and they both ran great. 1 was used in Jersey city NJ, and the other was from Madison Nj I believe. The JC bike was kinda beat up. Dent's and scratches all over it, but it ran fine. The creepy thing about it was, it had what my wife and I thought was blood burned into the muffler that wouldn't wash off. It had jumped alot of curbs in it's day, by the missing front fender trim, and the floorboards were ground down so sharp you could have shaved with them. The other bike looked alot better and ran as good or better then one I would have bought off a private owner.,,,

Generally, the Harley's are well taken care of. Many departments (mine) the assigned cop acts as his/her own fleet manager for the bike. Amazing what a little accountability can do!

Really liked the Ford sedan I had last year. Can't wait to try another one similar.

And no, not in front of the million dollar houses. I didn't feel like taking a ride in the back seat of one of these.

I can only speak to the experiences I know of with our fleet of about 24 marked vehicles. The Ford Taurus' have been good. We had horrendous luck with the Charger's both 8 and 6 cylinder. None of the front ends lasted long at all. One of them is possessed. Imagine being the cop ending a service call and watching your patrol vehicle roll away across a traffic lane and into an embankment? Happened with a Charger. Poor guy swore up and down he put it in park. Sure enough, it was later proven by Dodge that it was in park and the trans let go. The Explorer' do well but front ends get sloppy and noisy. transmissions have held up but I am not a fan of the shifting pattern. Seems to hunt a lot and downshifts under normal driving load are not smooth.

Back