2021 Escape

You recommend a GM certification with Hyundai service intervals for his Ford and I'm the guy not to buy from. OK 😂 (y)
Dexos is more strict than what Ford recommends, even more so with the upcoming Dexos 1 Gen 3, Dexos has pretty much been the driving force of improving lubricants for small displacement turbo engines, Hyundai recommends very short intervals for severe service, because GDI and TGDI engine are really hard on oil.

An oversize filter couldn't hurt. Fram 3614 works.
Stock filter is lawn tractor size.

My2¢
The original filter from the factory is a lawn tractor filter, but the filter recommended by the manual is the FL-910-s so the 3614 is the size ford says to use, with as cramped as it looks like it is for once I might actually recommend a lawn tractor size filter over the 3614. The wix 51335 (Napa 1335) looks like it'd fit and has the appropriate bypass but they're kind of a bit steeply priced compared to the commonly available 3614/fl910s. I guess the key is to not overtighten it.

Thanks for that! I saw a video on you tube he was doing the ptu and was saying how important it is to do at 30,000 then 60,000 after that. Seems easy to do. Trams not sure?
The original filter from the factory is a lawn tractor filter, but the filter recommended by the manual is the FL-910-s so the 3614 is the size ford says to use, with as cramped as it looks like it is for once I might actually recommend a lawn tractor size filter over the 3614. The wix 51335 (Napa 1335) looks like it'd fit and has the appropriate bypass but they're kind of a bit steeply priced compared to the commonly available 3614/fl910s. I guess the key is to not overtighten it.
My first oil change - I was shocked at the 'short' filter I took off.
I put on the (slightly longer) Motorcraft FL-910-S and it had about 3/4" clearance with a Hose.
I have another Motorcraft filter and will then be using the Fram Ultra 3614 along with Mobil 1 oil.
Note: Motorcraft FL-910-S is the same length as Fram Ultra 3614.

Last edited:
M1 EP. Can't go wrong with that. Use manual required grade. I wouldn't get past 5k OCI no matter what.

My nephew recently ordered (September) a Ford Escape SE AWD with the 1.5L Ecoboost, due in after Thanksgiving approximately. I grabbed two FL-910S filters at Wally World along with a few jugs of 5W20 Castrol Magnatec to keep on the shelf when he needs his changed.

Considering that Motorcraft oil is semi-synthetic you would be going above and beyond using a full synthetic oil.
10,00i oil change is not a stretch at oil if using a quality full synthetic oil.
Use a quality filter that offers a long life.
The OEM Motorcraft filter is good quality.
Value foroney hard to beat either one of the FRAM TG or XG filters.

Either 5W-20 or OW-20 is suitable for the Ecoboost engine. 5W-20 is fine unless the vehicle might see extreme cold weather.

I use OW-20 iny Ecoboost Ford. I personally have not worked on any new 1.5L dragon engines.

Motorcraft filter is FL910s
Fram is PH3614, TG3614, XG3614.
If you dare use an oversized filter FtAM 3600 is the oversized longer filter.

I used to use Mobil1 oils. I've researched Ford and Castrol. I've switched to Castrol Edge or Edge EP. Ford worked with Castrol to develope many of their European spec oils and European spec Ecoboost engines.
In countries where Ford doesn't market Motorcraft oil the premium offering is Castrol Magnatec.
Factory fill on Shelby Mustang is Castrol Edge oil. Castol Edge supercar is factory fill on Ford GT.

Attachments

• 03a66d49-0134-4db0-8cc7-d7304e26f072_400x.jpg
    03a66d49-0134-4db0-8cc7-d7304e26f072_400x.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 5
I just bought that exact same vehicle three Months ago / mines gray.

I changed the oil & filter at 1,000 miles to see if I could even do it / went OK.
I had to purchase Ramps and an inexpensive Driver (Walmart) to remove the 15 Shield fasteners.
I plan on doing 4,000 - 5,000 mile changes (myself).

I'm looking into what it takes to do the Transmission and Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluids.
I believe both have Drain and Fill Plugs.

Also, be aware the vehicle probable does NOT have a spare tire / an Inflator and sealant is included.
I bought a full size spare tire on steel rim (and scissors jack) and sleep better at night.
At the very least, everybody should have at least a 'donut' tire.

So far, I do like the vehicle.

Edit: If you read the Owners Manual, it will say - if the OLM is not working, change oil every 5,000 miles.
Where can I purchase a spare tire for the 2021 escape? Thanks for pointing that out.

Where can I purchase a spare tire for the 2021 escape? Thanks for pointing that out

Where can I purchase a spare tire for the 2021 escape? Thanks for pointing that out.
Starting in 2020, Ford redesigned the Escape and changed the tire size.
So, a Junkyard probably won't have a newer (2020+) Escape.

I went to a tire store (Dunn Tire) and told them I needed a spare tire and rim.
New Rim and used tire (less then 1 Month old) for $150.00 / mounted & balanced

I also had to buy:
1) 3 ton Scissiors Jack
2) Breaker Bar and Socket
3) Wheel Chok

Be aware that a full size tire is wider than a dounut and when I store the tire in back, it sits about 1.5 inch higher.
Meaning it could come out in a collision if the vehicle rolled.
A dounut tire would be safer in that (storage) situtation.

I saw some dounut tires on E-Bay / looked new.
But again, I would try a local tire store, even for a dounut.

ford's recommendation sucks, it's just API SP, no way I'd put syn blend in a turbo engine
But they meet exceed same spec for cleanliness and TEOST ?

I would be looking at ACEA high spec Euro synthetic not USA ILSAC Pathetic Synthetic.

Funny Ford call a three banger a "dragon" engine :)

I am a fan of threes and six'ers as they fire when all pistons are in or approaching mid -stoke
rather than 4 bangers that fire with ALL pistons at TDC/BDC

I Hope she enjoys that Porsche looking sleek machine. though I prefer the boxy re-skinned ESCAPE A.k.A. Bronco Sport

Ford_Escape.jpg

I’m not a fan of Ford either but I would expect better than that. Run the oil as recommended in the manual and determine the OCI based on the driving routine.
It's not just Ford....GM recalibrated (more conservatively) the OLM on the Chevy Cruze 1.4T after the first year or two. The Japanese and Germans have their issues too. I don't like Ford using all those fasteners on the bellypan and not putting an access hole for the filter and drainplug but aside from that my 2 Fords (a 2014 and a 2016) have been awesomely reliable. I'm approaching 60K on both without a brake job or wheel alignment which is a miracle in NY with our garbage roads...in fact my Escape still has the OE tires @ 58K.

All of my Japanese and Korean cars went through brakes and tires faster for some reason. I'm thinking the Ford's have a stronger suspension but who knows.

PS: I also would shorten the OCI's to 5K and use full syn. in that small turbo.

Back