2021 Chevy Duramax L5P - 2,500 miles on oil/2,500 total vehicle miles - oil changed

wwillson

Staff member
This is a UOA of the factory oil dump from my 2021 Duramax L5P with 2,500 miles and 55 engine hours on the clock. About 2,300 of the miles are cruising down the interstate unloaded.

Sample Information
Sample Date23 Jun 2021
Machine Age miles2,500
Oil Age miles2,500
Machine Time hours55
Oil Time hours55
Filter Age miles2,500
Oil ChangedYes
Filter ChangedYes
BrandFactory
Viscosityxx-40
Wear Metals
Iron12
ChromiumTD]
NickelTD]
TitaniumTD]
Silver3
AluminumTD]
Lead6
Copper109
Tin6
VanandiumTD]
Additives
Boron120
BariumTD]
Molybdenum2
ManganeseTD]
Magnesium672
Calcium1260
Phosphorus1000
Zinc1155
Contaminants
Silicon87
Sodium7
Potassium11
Fuel %TD]
GlycolNEG
Soot%0.1
Fluid Condition
TBN8.55
Viscosity13.9
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

High Performance Lubricants new formula 5w-40 was installed along with a Mobil 1 oil filter as discussed in this thread:

This is the cut ACDelco factory oil filter from the 2021 Duramax after collecting 2,500 miles of debris left in the engine. I don't believe the 2021 L5P had as much debris collected in the oil filter as the 2018, but it still had plenty. With a macro lens and the correct light, you could see a lot more metal. To the naked eye in the bright sun, the paper looks like someone through some glitter on it. There is a lot of metal.
20210702_214929993_iOS.jpg

20210702_214940104_iOS.jpg

20210702_214949213_iOS.jpg

Cut factory filter - 2018 Duramax.

Last edited:
Lower metals than I would have expected. I assume the copper is from the cam bearings breaking in?

Not much idling , 45mph average.

The Duramax engines have always been pretty easy on oil. The last change I did to my LLY had almost 12k miles on it with much of it pulling a 10K travel trailer, Blackstone claimed the Delvac syn 5W40 was still good for more even with the heat issues of the LLY.

I updated the first post with pictures of the cut factory oil filter. There is a considerable amount of metal in the filter.

I have a 2021 GMC L5P as well. Just passed 2,800 miles. I changed my oil and filter at 1,050 miles for this very reason ie to get out the early wear particles. I anticipate the next change to be around 7,000 miles. I think your wear numbers from the initial UOA look good for a first oil change.

I updated the first post with pictures of the cut factory oil filter. There is a considerable amount of metal in the filter.
That glitter is why I always changed the factory at around 1k miles. If you took the drained oil out in the sun, you would see it full of glitter that the filter did not get.

We have a 2021 LP5 in a fleet with about 80k miles running hotshot. Truck has been fine except for check engine light that has been on and off since 7k miles. Using Cheapest I can find 15w40 with approximate 5 to 7k changes while under the 100k warrant. Looking to extend that to 10 to 15k changes on T6 5w40 after that. already had all the fluids serviced at 50k miles with out any issues.

We have a 2021 LP5 in a fleet with about 80k miles running hotshot. Truck has been fine except for check engine light that has been on and off since 7k miles. Using Cheapest I can find 15w40 with approximate 5 to 7k changes while under the 100k warrant. Looking to extend that to 10 to 15k changes on T6 5w40 after that. already had all the fluids serviced at 50k miles with out any issues.

whats the OCI for a new D-max? I found 10k online but not sure if that’s right. It also said it has an OCI indicator so I’d follow that. The newest Rams I believe are 15k or 6 months. I think you might be short changing costing you money.

just my $0.02

rotella t6 synthetic 15w40 should last 10k if im not mistaken.

whats the OCI for a new D-max? I found 10k online but not sure if that’s right. It also said it has an OCI indicator so I’d follow that. The newest Rams I believe are 15k or 6 months. I think you might be short changing costing you money.

just my $0.02
Yes, if I were to change the engine oil at 2,500 miles every time, that would be throwing money away. I changed it early to remove the factory oil and oil filter because of the machining metal always found at the first change.

The manual only says to change the engine oil when the OLM says 0% life left, nothing about miles.

Since I'm running HPL HDEO engine oil, which is designed for extended drain intervals, I will sample and change the oil when the sample shows it should be changed. There is no sense in throwing away good oil.

just my $0.02
The indicator goes off around 5k.
My rams run 15k on T6

I find your report very interesting. I'm also amazed at all the metals you got rid of. Your motor has to be better off with all that stuff out. I kind of wish I had taken the element out of my filter when I changed at about 14,000 on my 2020 Chevy Equinox. You're using good stuff with that High Performance Lubrication, too.

Back