2021 Acura RDX Advance

JXW

Shopping for a new vehicle and have been focused on the 2021 RDX advance. Read some feedback on Acura forums and looking for the same here. My needs are AWD, ventilated seats, MPG, long distance driving comfort, low cabin noise and less $$ for maintenance than European makes. Leaving a 2016 528i x Drive to make the change. Others considered at the Audi SQ5 but only in the used category -- 2018 for example. 2022 RDX should arrive soon also giving some pricing relief on the 2021's.

After driving a 2021 RDX, an X3 and a MAZDA CX5. They were all excellent. I now drive a CX5 GT reserve after reviewing the reliability of each. Ed

My wife's 2016 RDX Advance has been trouble free at 83,000 miles. It is FWD. I don't know if Acura still puts the V6 in the new models but be aware that the V6 requires a timing belt and valve adjustment around 100,000 miles. It gets about 27 mpg average and the only maintenance has been fluid changes, tires and replacing the front brake rotors (warped, typical Honda. The pads are still good.) It is fairly quiet but not Lexus quiet though the reviews I've read says the newer models are quieter. My only complaint about long distance driving is the seats are hard on my bony butt. Drive one and see how you like it.

My wife's 2016 RDX Advance has been trouble free at 83,000 miles. It is FWD. I don't know if Acura still puts the V6 in the new models but be aware that the V6 requires a timing belt and valve adjustment around 100,000 miles. It gets about 27 mpg average and the only maintenance has been fluid changes, tires and replacing the front brake rotors (warped, typical Honda. The pads are still good.) It is fairly quiet but not Lexus quiet though the reviews I've read says the newer models are quieter. My only complaint about long distance driving is the seats are hard on my bony butt. Drive one and see how you like it.

The current RDX uses a 2.0TGDI engine in all trim levels. Cams are chain driven, so no timing belt to worry about but there is the ever-present Honda propensity for fuel dilution in DI engines.

Interesting post,
We also live in northern Michigan, are coming from a German sedan (Audi A6). My wife has always had back issues and can tell within a minute of sitting in a vehicle. The seats were comfortable in the Audi, handling and performance was great, but the cost to maintain and repair wears on you... a burnt out LED taillight was $2000 - $5000 to fix. Can’t make this $hit up.

So last February, before heading to Florida we looked at vehicles...my wife has always had a bad back and car rides are particularly bad so needed seat comfort was very important, along with AWD as we live in NE Michigan snow belt, and ride comfort. Found that “standard” makes did not offer fully adjustable passenger seats. So for example a $50,000 Toyota Highlander did not have fully adjustable passenger seats, the Kia Telluride did at the highest trim level...but was also $50,000 with rumors of bidding wars. Premium vehicles do offer full seat adjustments on both driver and passenger seats, but also at higher trim levels. Did not want to do the German thing again, did considered Volvo but also a European make.

We were down to the Acura RDX and the Lexus RX 350...there are no dealerships up here in northern Michigan so had to go 300+ miles downstate to drive these and actually had money down on a Lexus. After driving the two it was hands down on the Acura...the seat comfort was awesome, felt the Lexus 8-speed tranny was indecisive and the Acura 10-speed was spot on, the Acura SH-AWD was a pleasant surprise...always considered Audi and Subaru to be the top AWD systems out there but the SH-AWD had great reviews. Need to get the Advanced trim level in order to to get fully adjustable driver and passenger seats along with the “better” ride package. Would have preferred the Lexus 6 cylinder over the 2.0T…but?

My understanding is that the excessive Honda fuel dilution issue was with the 1.5T...although folks don’t seem to be too concerned about it on the CR-V forums?

All I can say is that my wife loves this vehicle so far…

Oh should you decide RDX, we drove to Chicago…the sticker on an Advance is $49,500. We got it for $42,000, no dickering…he gave the price right away on the phone. Michigan dealers were $2500 higher. Now the Lexus we looked at…the price in Ann Arbor was just slightly more than Chicago.

Interesting post,
We also live in northern Michigan, are coming from a German sedan (Audi A6). My wife has always had back issues and can tell within a minute of sitting in a vehicle. The seats were comfortable in the Audi, handling and performance was great, but the cost to maintain and repair wears on you... a burnt out LED taillight was $2000 - $5000 to fix. Can’t make this $hit up.

So last February, before heading to Florida we looked at vehicles...my wife has always had a bad back and car rides are particularly bad so needed seat comfort was very important, along with AWD as we live in NE Michigan snow belt, and ride comfort. Found that “standard” makes did not offer fully adjustable passenger seats. So for example a $50,000 Toyota Highlander did not have fully adjustable passenger seats, the Kia Telluride did at the highest trim level...but was also $50,000 with rumors of bidding wars. Premium vehicles do offer full seat adjustments on both driver and passenger seats, but also at higher trim levels. Did not want to do the German thing again, did considered Volvo but also a European make.

We were down to the Acura RDX and the Lexus RX 350...there are no dealerships up here in northern Michigan so had to go 300+ miles downstate to drive these and actually had money down on a Lexus. After driving the two it was hands down on the Acura...the seat comfort was awesome, felt the Lexus 8-speed tranny was indecisive and the Acura 10-speed was spot on, the Acura SH-AWD was a pleasant surprise...always considered Audi and Subaru to be the top AWD systems out there but the SH-AWD had great reviews. Need to get the Advanced trim level in order to to get fully adjustable driver and passenger seats along with the “better” ride package. Would have preferred the Lexus 6 cylinder over the 2.0T…but?

My understanding is that the excessive Honda fuel dilution issue was with the 1.5T...although folks don’t seem to be too concerned about it on the CR-V forums?

All I can say is that my wife loves this vehicle so far…

Oh should you decide RDX, we drove to Chicago…the sticker on an Advance is $49,500. We got it for $42,000, no dickering…he gave the price right away on the phone. Michigan dealers were $2500 higher. Now the Lexus we looked at…the price in Ann Arbor was just slightly more than Chicago.
Great feedback--thank you! What month did you buy the RDX? The advertised price is MSRP or $49.500 as you said. $42K sounds like a winner!

We have a 15 crv which I believe is the same chassis, and the family has a couple of mdx’s with sh-awd. The chassis is built solid as a brick s-house. my wife‘s crv was rear-ended hard by a full-size truck and the metal was unfazed. She also had an accident that sent her over a square curb at 35 mph and while it popped the front tires, it didn’t need an alignment. That impressed me. its a good chassis.

the sh-awd in the Acuras is well sorted. It is quite effective in the show, though it is surprisingly limited in total ability to put power down. a dated spec is 147ft/lbs of torque per each axle. The rear diff is basically a spool with individual electromagnetic clutches on each halfshaft. But for snow, even reasonably deep snow, it’s more than enough, and doesn’t get in the way. It’s also good for mud, such as soggy fields.

we do have a civic with the 1.5T. It does raise the oil level with some fuel dilution. Ours is a stick and my son has absolutely figured out how to squeeze power out of it “the right way.” That said, we change it a little early and sometimes use a slightly thicker grade. its actually getting better, and we have zero issues with it. the 1.5t is a great motor that has a torque curve which clearly punches above its weight class. I would gladly have another in the garage. I would expect the same fundamentals from the 2.0.

Given the cost of all involved, the CX5 in turbo trim level is the clear winner in my opinion. $50K for the RDX just seems very "meh". It's a $40K vehicle at best. That said, that 6 cylinder Toyota will probably function fine long after we are all dead if you can just manage to change the oil somewhat on time, lol!

My mom picked up a '21 RDX (not an Advance) in January, she loves it. They were also looking at the CX-5 turbo the problems with the Mazda were: the deals were atrocious (more expensive than the RDX), the infotainment screen was small, and they felt the engine/trans in the RDX was better. I can't remember the last time my mom was more excited or happy about a new car.

Reactions: GON
Back