2021/2022 Subaru Outback reliability

Considering an Outback as my next car. Never bought one in the past due to it having a CVT. But I guess that I should just get used to the CVT's as it seems they are everywhere. The only Outback I would buy will have the 2.4 turbo engine. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the reliability of this engine? Also the "8-speed" CVT reliability? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don

I have no data on the current High-torque CVT (HTCVT) in the Outback XT; however, the HTCVT in my '14 Forester XT is going strong at ~90k miles, with one fluid change in all that time. Now, I don't know if I could live with fake-shifting in a sportier engine, like the XT. My '14 does NOT fake-shift. I hit the go pedal, it picks a CVT ratio (RPM) and boosts accordingly, all seemingly instantly. It's freaking awesome. I actually came from an STI and expected to hate the CVT, but fell in like with it the first time I test drove it.

The same goes for the engine: based on the FA24DIT being similar to the FA20DIT in my FXT, I expect it to be very reliable. I was hoping for dual-injection, but that's OK. I don't think Subaru did a bad job mitigating carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Around-town gas mileage is garbage, but we're still seeing close to 30 MPG at a steady 70MPH (minimal wind and hills, of course), with mid-20s mixed. I don't have any data on the FA24DIT, but expect it to be about the same.

In my opinion the vast majority of vehicle owners with a CVT have no issues. The rest post their complaints and experience on Internet forums.

They feel different than a regular automatic and that bothers some. It takes getting used to.

If you are still anti-CVT then consider the newly announced Mazda CX50. Same family (Toyota) but with a automatic transmission

Due to their boxer engines, they are relatively easy (or "different") to work on.

The bad news is that historically, Subaru's tend to nickel and dime you as they age. More so than Honda/Toyota.

Maybe the 21/22's will be different. Best of luck....

My wife's 2018 Forester with CVT has one advantage over my daughter's '04 Forester with 5-speed stick. It gets better fuel economy despite being bigger & heavier. One thing I hate about it is is the LOOONNNGGG delay in throttle response. Stomp the pedal and it feels like a good full 3 seconds before the car starts moving like it should. Another thing I don't like is its highly non-linear throttle mapping. The first 1/4 of the pedal gives you 3/4 of the power, making it highly sensitive stop and go, then when you want power and hit it, it doesn't do much more because it was already at 90% power by half throttle. Why would Subaru do that? I can only guess it's to make the engine feel more powerful and torquey than it is.

I like stick shifts, but wifey wanted an automatic, each to his own, she gets what she wants.

Drive one and let your butt dyno decide.

1637194525339.jpeg

In my opinion the vast majority of vehicle owners with a CVT have no issues. The rest post their complaints and experience on Internet forums.

They feel different than a regular automatic and that bothers some. It takes getting used to.

If you are still anti-CVT then consider the newly announced Mazda CX50. Same family (Toyota) but with a automatic transmission

I didn't realize Toyota had any hand in designing Mazdas.

My wife's 2018 Forester with CVT has one advantage over my daughter's '04 Forester with 5-speed stick. It gets better fuel economy despite being bigger & heavier. One thing I hate about it is is the LOOONNNGGG delay in throttle response. Stomp the pedal and it feels like a good full 3 seconds before the car starts moving like it should. Another thing I don't like is its highly non-linear throttle mapping. The first 1/4 of the pedal gives you 3/4 of the power, making it highly sensitive stop and go, then when you want power and hit it, it doesn't do much more because it was already at 90% power by half throttle. Why would Subaru do that? I can only guess it's to make the engine feel more powerful and torquey than it is.

I like stick shifts, but wifey wanted an automatic, each to his own, she gets what she wants.

It's 182 HP in a large CUV. What did you expect?

It's 182 HP in a large CUV. What did you expect?
Even a slow underpowered car can have throttle response that is linear and responsive. Not this one! Years ago I had a 70 HP Honda Civic that was even more underpowered than this Subaru, but it had much better throttle response. When you put your foot to the floor with this Subaru and its CVT, it eventually does start moving well enough. It just takes until next Tuesday for that to happen.

Even a slow underpowered car can have throttle response that is linear and responsive. Not this one! Years ago I had a 70 HP Honda Civic that was even more underpowered than this Subaru, but it had much better throttle response. When you put your foot to the floor with this Subaru and its CVT, it eventually does start moving well enough. It just takes until next Tuesday for that to happen.
All I can say is you get used to it, just like any other car. Even on my turbo FXT I’ve found that 80% throttle is usually ideal.

Drive one. CVTs are just boring as it gets to me, even if they simulate shifts. The Outback is kind of a cool lifestyle car otherwise and the awd is useful on the street during snow, etc. But, there are a lot of options in that price range with AWD. Lots of crossover SUVs that have the taller driving position that the wives like, with regular automatics.

I purchased a 2017 Limited 3.6 OB with CVT January 2017. I am a few hundred miles from 100k. Mechanically, this thing is a jem! I really am impressed at how smooth the unit as a whole is. I had a previous CVT in a 2008 Nissan Maxima. Maxima CVT never faltered on me (my mother owned it from 15k miles to about 110k and I had it to around 150k IIRC). Night and day. Maxima felt loose and sloppy. Subaru is still tight and smooth. I did a drain fill on the Subaru CVT at 75k and at 100k will do a full fluid swap at the dealer. I'll also do plugs then. I plan on a UOA on the CVT fluid and will post pics of the plugs when I do them.

A huge plus is that the tech in the Subaru, at least my 17, ACTUALLY WORKS! The Eyesite is really good. And I am one who'd rather not have it. Fuel economy on a dated 3.6 is good. I routinely get 23.5//24.5 mpg (summer v winter blend) over an 8k to 10k OCI with Mobil 1 5-30. AWD is excellent. May even be better than my 08 BMW X drive. Sure seems to be and that BMW was pretty darn good.

All this said, I would probably not buy another Subaru. Price point to high for the cheap materials used. The pleather seats called leather are so horrendous they don't deserve the use of the work pleather. Cracks and rips easily. Stock batter is KNOWN to be a hugs issue yyet Subaru has done nothing to address it. Not a biggie if you simply move up a battery category (it fits). If buying, I'd say no deal unless you put the right battery in there.

Rear liftgate is frustrating. Lots of "nanny" protocols to use it. A dozen time sit has glitched out. Meaning car in park and engine on; kid getting their sports gear from trunk and it won't open. Have to turn the car off. It is supposed to operate when in park with engine on or off. I paid $500 extra for auto start. Their version of auto start is an additional key fob. I don't like to carry fobs or keys at all, nevermind 2! I could swing that BUT MOM SUBARU says when using the auto start and you open the door the engine is cut. Other vehicles, my F150 auto starts and to disengage the safety parameters you do what you'd do to push start. Step on brake and touch the start button. Engine never stops running.

So far 2017 is worth it overall. My gripes are nothing compelling but they are annoying.

Edit to add: Not sure if this is factual but it does seem that vehicle with Eyesite or whatever other companies call their Eyesite; requires a thinner or weaker, pick the adjective, windshield. Mine is cracked and I do need to have it replaced.

My friend has a '20 Outback and a family member has a '21. Both are higher trim levels, but not turbo.
Both owners are happy.

The CVT should be reliable. I drove my family members Outback and thought the CVT was an improvement over the CVT in the '15 Impreza l traded in earlier this year. The rubber band effect wasn't as noticeable and it seemed more responsive.

Back