2020 Yamaha WR450 - 2 Samples

First time post for me but have visited this site for over a decade. Need some input here. One sample was Yamalube around 5 rides / 250 miles in the dirt. Next/newer sample was 2 rides (4-5 hours) on Rotella used as a snow bike. I used some Av gas which i think explains the lead. I assume Aluminum is from clutch plates. Copper, Nickel, and Silver seem a bit concerning. Are these still break in metals or is this just high wear? Bike has maybe 25 hours on it.

Attachments

• 20210224_201730.jpg
    20210224_201730.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210224_201603.jpg
    20210224_201603.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 176
Copper and silver have come down from the first sample. Not knowing if that is typical of a dirt bike to have high break-in amounts of those I can’t comment if it’s bad but the trend is going in the right direction. Nickel is the cylinder plating. I get lower single-digit nickel in each analysis of my ZRX1200, and it’s fairly consistent which your nickel seems to be consistent as well, although a bit higher at 11 for each UOA, but again it is a fairly new engine.

Does the bike run better on Av gas?

Yes, my question as well would be if copper and silver are typically that high during break-in for a dirt bike, despite trending downward.

Copper and silver have come down from the first sample. Not knowing if that is typical of a dirt bike to have high break-in amounts of those I can’t comment if it’s bad but the trend is going in the right direction. Nickel is the cylinder plating. I get lower single-digit nickel in each analysis of my ZRX1200, and it’s fairly consistent which your nickel seems to be consistent as well, although a bit higher at 11 for each UOA, but again it is a fairly new engine.

Does the bike run better on Av gas?

Yes, my question as well would be if copper and silver are typically that high during break-in for a dirt bike, despite trending downward.
Thanks for the info. I'm only running Av as i had it left over from a turbo sled I sold. Whenever I've ran Av gas in bikes, they seem to run a little cooler (probably due to a slower burn). This Yamaha seems quite lean and runs pretty hot.

usually the aluminum is from the clutch basket fingers

the copper is from the brass bushing in the clutch basket

i had a friend, that was from japan, ask yamaha where there was silver in the motor. they said there is none in any of the yz2xxf and yz4xxf bikes. i have mentioned the silver issue on the stoners reports and now this wix report has it as well.
heck this report shows a 9 and a 2 for barium...really? not no but he77 no!
if this was an accurate report ... and it is NOT ... i would be highly concerned about the Titanium being at 1.
the only place in the motor there is Ti is the intake valves...this would mean their are tuliping. check your lash on intakes.
if they are out of clearance...time to pull the head and new valves.

neither the wr450f nor the yz450f manual state if the plates are alum or steel.

every oem set ive taken out of a yz has been steel.

however, the tusk competition clutch pack replacement as well as the ebc both say they are steel as is the pro x steel pack and the hinson fsc pack. the rekluse kits only come with steel as well.

neither the wr450f nor the yz450f manual state if the plates are alum or steel.

every oem set ive taken out of a yz has been steel.

however, the tusk competition clutch pack replacement as well as the ebc both say they are steel as is the pro x steel pack and the hinson fsc pack. the rekluse kits only come with steel as well.
Could the frictions use an aluminum carrier plate? I'd never want to use aluminum for a wear plate but I could see it working as a carrier for the friction material.

all my 2 strokes were aluminum plates, but with change over to 4 strokes and running the shared oil, they switched to all steel, far as Ive seen.

Plates in the clutch stack itself are usually steel, but the basket is aluminum, and the baskets get a lot of wear. I've replaced many bike clutches, even did one just yesterday on a customer's bike in the shop.

I don’t see where the silver is from and if the aviation fuel seemed to make it run hot and lean I’d definitely stick with regular gasoline. These motors are very stout that’s for sure.

Back