2020 Toyota RAV4 oil vapor/smoke from dipstick tube.

I have an 2020 Rav4 LE gas model. With about 9,500 miles. I went for 15 minute drive with a quick stop in between that less than 5 minutes. Drove about 15 minutes overall from a cold start. Only 60 degrees. I got home let it sit for 5 minutes and noticed some steam smoke from the dipstick tube. The color and level was fine. Right up to the full. I have checked the oil on this before throughout owning this vehicle. And never noticed vapor from the tube before.

Also from when it was brand new a few months ago. Whenever you pull the dipstick for the 1st wipe. There has been greyish residue on the rag from dipstick. You dip it again and it's clean.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200428_194149.jpg
    MVIMG_20200428_194149.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 58
Looks to be a bit of moisture in the crank case from short tripping. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

But you are under warranty if you're worried

Could it be just from that drive? It usually goes on longer drives. It goes on 65 mile commutes as well.

Take it back to the dealer and question the service writer about it pertaining to emissions.

I'd say it was just the right atmospheric conditions to cause the vapor or smoke to come out of the dipstick tube. Much like some cold mornings a car will push a lot of white vapor out of the tail pipes and yet other mornings none at all.
As for the residue on the dipstick it may well be condensation from short trips. My old jetta would get a light tan residue on the bottom of the oil fill cap if it was shirt tripped alot in the winter.

Back