2020 Subaru Legacy GT FA24 UOA Amsoil Signature Series 0w20 6000mi OCI

Hello everyone,

Attached is a UOA for the listed vehicle. OCI was 6000mi over the winter in Ontario, Canada. Frequent short trips to work and idling to warm up over the winter months. This was the second oil change on the car.

Given the fuel dilution, and the manufacturer recommending 0w20, should I shorten the OCI or move up in viscosity?

Attachments

• 2020-SUBARU-LEGACY-2.4-E-E-798083-Sev4.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 319
You might consider masking your personal data on this report. Otherwise, it's a shame to have such high fuel dilution with only 9500Km on the run. That's a new vehicle which makes it that much more concerning.

I thought the OCI in Canada was shorter? Or was that just on the older models? At any rate, I'd cut back on the OCI.

UOA's in the Outback forum have shown that there's very little difference in used oil viscosity between Resource Conserving 0W-20's and 5W-30's in the new turbo's. If you do go up a viscosity go with an oil with an HTHS of 3.5> if you want to maintain a 30 grade. Otherwise, there's no point IMO.

I would be curious to know if Amsoil XL 5W-30 would maintain viscosity a little better since the HTHS is 3.3. Probably not as well as a 3.5 would though.

Last edited:
Considering that the KV100 ended just a hair about 6 and other variable factors listed, I would say that you pushed this oil to the limit. UOA data I have seen on Subaru's FA24F engine has compelled me to recommend 3000 mile oil change intervals no matter what 0w20 you might use. I would NOT recommend moving up to an Xw30 oil either, UOA data I have seen on the FA24F engines that have used an Xw30 indicates that those oils shear twice as quickly as a 0w20 thus causing the end result to be similar.

The solution, if there is one, is to shorten the oil change interval. This engine is very hard on oil, but surprisingly enough the 0w20 oils I have seen have been far more stable than the Xw30 oils I have seen used in it.

You might consider masking your personal data on this report. Otherwise, it's a shame to have such high fuel dilution with only 9500Km on the run. That's a new vehicle which makes it that much more concerning.

I thought the OCI in Canada was shorter? Or was that just on the older models? At any rate, I'd cut back on the OCI.

UOA's in the Outback forum have shown that there's very little difference in used oil viscosity between Resource Conserving 0W-20's and 5W-30's in the new turbo's. If you do go up a viscosity go with an oil with an HTHS of 3.5> if you want to maintain a 30 grade. Otherwise, there's no point IMO.

I would be curious to know if Amsoil XL 5W-30 would maintain viscosity a little better since the HTHS is 3.3. Probably not as well as a 3.5 would though.
Subaru Canada recommends 10000k OCI

Interesting, yes of course we do. Why euro if you don't mind me asking?
Probably due to the higher HTHS and kinematic viscosity. With a higher HTHS and kv xW-30, the viscosity will stay in grade better after some fuel contamination than with a Resource Conserving/SP oil.

I do see that Amsoil offers a Euro 5W-30 but not a Euro 0W-30. Although it's even pricier than SS. :eek:

I have tried many oils in my FA20DIT (FA24's smaller brother) and ALL of the GF5 oils I have tried has sheared down a grade.

Then I tried higher HTHS oils like Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and they both stayed in grade while having less wear materials in the UOA.

In my experience, the higher HTHS oils performs much better in those turbo subaru engines.

Here's one of my past UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-a-4500-miles.312134/

I’d be using a Euro 5w30 or even a 0w40 in that engine.

otherwise stick with 3k mile OCI for 0w20.

I have tried many oils in my FA20DIT (FA24's smaller brother) and ALL of the GF5 oils I have tried has sheared down a grade.

Then I tried higher HTHS oils like Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and they both stayed in grade while having less wear materials in the UOA.

In my experience, the higher HTHS oils performs much better in those turbo subaru engines.

Here's one of my past UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-a-4500-miles.312134/

This is something I would wholeheartedly agree with based on my own personal experience. Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 is one of the BEST oils you can use in any applicable engine, period.

Back