2020 Silverado 5.3 rental report. Ohhhh Boyyyyyyy :(

I don't think it's fair to review a rental unless I'm the first customer to drive it. Some idiots are purposely abusive to rentals.

I rent all the time, sometimes 2 or 3 vehicles per week, and I don't find that to be the case at all, most rentals are just fine with regard to quality. To bolster my point, just where are all these rentals being abused? The roads are crowded, the cops are everywhere and people can spend just so much time really torturing these vehicles before they are simply driving along with everyone else.

I've found the rental experience to illuminate a vehicle's strength and weaknesses.

It seems the OP found a few weaknesses that will show up early.

Weird. It just doesn't seem plausible that the shocks would be FUBAR at such low mileage, even being a rental. Unless somebody took it dune jumping?

Rentals get thrashed!! I was young once and beat the crap out of them.

I rent all the time, sometimes 2 or 3 vehicles per week, and I don't find that to be the case at all, most rentals are just fine with regard to quality. To bolster my point, just where are all these rentals being abused? The roads are crowded, the cops are everywhere and people can spend just so much time really torturing these vehicles before they are simply driving along with everyone else.

I've found the rental experience to illuminate a vehicle's strength and weaknesses.

It seems the OP found a few weaknesses that will show up early.

We've had different experiences. It happens.

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 6.2 and 10sp. Love it. So far with 10k miles on it the thing is a beast compared to my 2002 with the 5.3. Over on the GM-trucks forum there are issues with rear window leaks and radio not syncing.

Everyone has their likes and reasons but to me the 6.2 is the only way to go.

Did the rental truck have the off-road Z71 package? My 2019 Sierra has the X31 package (same as Chevy Z71) with Rancho shocks. They’re pretty horrible. Bounce and porpoise like crazy. Many are replacing with Bilstein 5100’s and have better results. I hadn’t done so myself (yet).

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 6.2 and 10sp. Love it. So far with 10k miles on it the thing is a beast compared to my 2002 with the 5.3. Over on the GM-trucks forum there are issues with rear window leaks and radio not syncing.

Everyone has their likes and reasons but to me the 6.2 is the only way to go.

I bought a 2021 Tahoe with the 6.2 and 10 speed about a month ago. For as big as it is, it really moves.

When truck shopping earlier this year I was very disappointed with the new Silverado. The 8 speed was very lazy which made the 5.3's 355 hp feel much lower than it is. The interior felt very cheap and seemed narrower than the Ford or Ram. I went with the Ram.

Did the rental truck have the off-road Z71 package? My 2019 Sierra has the X31 package (same as Chevy Z71) with Rancho shocks. They’re pretty horrible. Bounce and porpoise like crazy. Many are replacing with Bilstein 5100’s and have better results. I hadn’t done so myself (yet).

No it was just a regular "Vanilla" 5.3 LT 2WD Crew cab

Dave

I bought a new 2018 Silverado LTZ-Crew Cab (4WD) almost two years ago. It's coming up on 32,000 miles. The truck is far from perfect. But it was a $54,000.00 (MSRP) truck that had a transaction price of $43,000.00 I have towed our 30-foot 5,000 pound travel trailer a total of 5,000 miles and it has done a great job. The vast West offers spectacular vistas and high mountain passes.

Not sure where the bad suspension is coming from with the OP's experience. The stock suspension handles the 750 pound tongue weight with a weight distributing hitch just fine. I have no air bags or any thing else after market.

Bad suspension on the new ones doesn't seem to be a common complaint either on the truck boards.

Had a 2018 Z71 for a couple years … great truck. Just got bit by the Jeep bug and traded in on the Rubicon.

So I have to agree with Carbon Steel when he wrote should of got his mean green machine to start with.
Now, this means me having to use a utility trailer sometimes and own a smaller fishing skiff … but no regrets

It's good to remember that something as simple as the shocks installed (varies by package chosen) can make the difference between miserable and nice. The nice 2009 F150 I mentioned is 4x4 Lariat, towing package. The tires are 275-55-20. I have the 2011 xlt next to it and just crawled underneath to look. The 2011 has a much worse ride quality and the shocks are not the same part.

It's good to remember that something as simple as the shocks installed (varies by package chosen) can make the difference between miserable and nice. The nice 2009 F150 I mentioned is 4x4 Lariat, towing package. The tires are 275-55-20. I have the 2011 xlt next to it and just crawled underneath to look. The 2011 has a much worse ride quality and the shocks are not the same part.

I would agree due to chassis changes and what have you-it may be required to make dampening changes (towing package vs. non-towing package, etc.) to suspension components. However-when all said and done the Op's experience is not typical-that's the point-it's not a common compliant as I stated-elsewhere on the truck boards.

We know the OP isn't familiar with the new trucks when he criticized the "ticking" sound that is normal. He drives a 12 year old truck-with what ever suspension changes he made over the course of ownership.

With no disrespect intended to the OP-I think his review is slightly skewed.

Last edited:
We know the OP isn't familiar with the new trucks when he criticized the "ticking" sound that is normal. He drives a 12 year old truck-with what ever suspension changes he made over the course of ownership.

With no disrespect intended to the OP-I think his review is slightly skewed.

There you go again making a arrogant comment. FYI, I have driven enough NEW and USED GM trucks in my life to tell when front struts/Shocks are 100% GONE 🤦‍♂️

I put new struts/poly sway bar end links/bushing on my '08 Silverado that's all and my ride is 1000x better VS that 2020 with 17K miles. NO factory shocks, no matter the Stock, Z71, RST, Trail Boss, package should bounce so much on a highway side street.

Ticking sound had a bit of a miss to it also when warming up in morning but went away once warmed up. Possible intake manifold gasket leak ????

Again, It's a RENTAL this poor truck could have been victim to many abusive drivers and poor maintenance from Firestone Service center ??

Dave

There you go again making a arrogant comment. FYI, I have driven enough NEW and USED GM trucks in my life to tell when front struts/Shocks are 100% GONE 🤦‍♂️

I put new struts/poly sway bar end links/bushing on my '08 Silverado that's all and my ride is 1000x better VS that 2020 with 17K miles. NO factory shocks, no matter the Stock, Z71, RST, Trail Boss, package should bounce so much on a highway side street.

Ticking sound had a bit of a miss to it also when warming up in morning but went away once warmed up. Possible intake manifold gasket leak ????

Again, It's a RENTAL this poor truck could have been victim to many abusive drivers and poor maintenance from Firestone Service center ??

Dave

That's the issue-comparing the 2020 to your truck that isn't any where near stock specs as far as replacement parts.

I have had three late model Silverado/GMC trucks (as I have stated before on here). A 2011, 2012, and now a 2018. And this one ticks not the previous two-but this one. It's inherent in the motor design.

I'm not a totally happy camper with the 2018-so you are not alone there. I'm looking at a RAM-probably in the next two or three years.

Last edited:
Bad suspension on the new ones doesn't seem to be a common complaint either on the truck boards.

For the new T1 trucks, suspension is a very common complaint on the truck boards. Specifically, the factory shocks are well know to bounce and porpoise excessively.

For the new T1 trucks, suspension is a very common complaint on the truck boards. Specifically, the factory shocks are well know to bounce and porpoise excessively.
We must be reading different boards......

An upgrade to Bilstein shocks is all the talk on the GM-trucks forum. Most couldn't wait to change out. It took a while for them to be available.

Z71’s came with those yellow jewels for a short period … but my 2018 Z71 came with Rancho shocks …
… that was historically my replacement shock since some of the others are at a ridiculous price point …

Back