2020 model compact with most comfortable ride quality

Hi

Which of the 2020 model year compact cars is considered the most comfortable, composed ride quality? Meaning least harsh over bumps and composed and smooth?

Elantra, Forte, Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Golf, Mazda 3, Impreza?

Best suggestion would be to go test drive them and pick the one you like best. What I like and think is good, someone else might think is too soft or too hard.

I test drove many 2018 models. I like a firm ride, so I bought a brand new mazda 3.

That said, wasnt impressed by the corolla, maybe 2020 is better. The elantra was suprisingly good at soaking bumbs and had a comfy ride, but softer than mazda 3.

Chevy cruze was impressive as well, but its garbage for reliability.

Civic is a good balance, still a bit on stiffer side.

Jetta is soft, like an elantra, but I would go elantra really between the two, elantra engine doesnt have GDI so that is very nice.

The Sentra always seems to have soft suspension, you'll have to drive a few though. Some cars will be softly sprung but still transmit stuff like expansion joints quite loudly. A slightly used midsized car may be the ticket for a smooth ride for new compact car money.

This is a difficult segment for someone to recommend a vehicle with the qualities you desire because of the short wheelbases. These cars just ride jittery.
As others have suggested, go out and test drive anything you're remotely interested in
Then make you're own informed decision.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

What I like about the 2020 Elantra and Forte....NO GDI, NO TURBO. Just a basic, naturally aspirated port injection engine seems to be less issues long term.

I have a 2017 Elantra and ride is fine. Changing tires can made it go from a soft ride with OEM tires to one that is unforgiving. The 2020 model Elantra and Forte have an unproven CVT. One poor lady at Hyundai forums had to have it replaced right away. It was functioning in a way that made driving the car unsafe. She was told they were on back order. In 3+ years of ownership I have never heard one issue with the 6 speed transmission I have.

The light weight of car now days causes them to have bumpy rides. One of the things to look at is the diameter of the rims and the size of the tire (profile). A small rim with the most rubber between the road and the rim will help a lot in reducing the amount of jolt bumps transfer to the vehicle.

Unfortunately now days in general most vehicles have a bigger size rim with the high trim levels, because the larger the rim and the smaller the amount of rubber between the rim and the road the better the vehicle handles at high speeds, and in general people who buy the high trim level of a vehicle expect to be able to drive it fast.

Also cars with a tight suspension that are great for spirited driving like driving fast on roads with a lot of turns do a very poor job of absorbing bumps in the road.

In general the vehicle with the most weight, and the smallest rims, and the most rubber between the rims and the road will have the best ride on bumpy roads, and will not perform well at high speeds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do find a vehicle that has a nice ride on bumpy roads, never put expensive shocks on it. Expensive shocks are stiff and transmit bumps in the road to the vehicle. If you ever have to replace the shocks, get the lowest cost shock. They may not have the high performance when going around bends at high speed, and they may not last as long as expensive shocks, but they will not cause the vehicle to be jolted every time it hits a bump in the road.

Last edited:
Get the average price on those appliances and buy a used Charger 3.6L … roomy and smooth, rear drive feel.

My SIL had a Corolla until just recently, and I felt it was the most annoying rolling couch, too soft and just dull. For me, not interested. But if that's what one is looking for, OK.

A colleague had a last-model Camry. That too was like a rolling couch.

Toyota has since tried to give some faux sportiness to the camry, complete with plastic cladding... And the corolla somewhat the same. So they may have firmer rides and lower profile tires... But that's where Id start if I was looking for more compliant...

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The light weight of car now days causes them to have bumpy rides. One of the things to look at is the diameter of the rims and the size of the tire (profile). A small rim with the most rubber between the road and the rim will help a lot in reducing the amount of jolt bumps transfer to the vehicle.

Unfortunately now days in general most vehicles have a bigger size rim with the high trim levels, because the larger the rim and the smaller the amount of rubber between the rim and the road the better the vehicle handles at high speeds, and in general people who buy the high trim level of a vehicle expect to be able to drive it fast.

Also cars with a tight suspension that are great for spirited driving like driving fast on roads with a lot of turns do a very poor job of absorbing bumps in the road.

In general the vehicle with the most weight, and the smallest rims, and the most rubber between the rims and the road will have the best ride on bumpy roads, and will not perform well at high speeds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do find a vehicle that has a nice ride on bumpy roads, never put expensive shocks on it. Expensive shocks are stiff and transmit bumps in the road to the vehicle. If you ever have to replace the shocks, get the lowest cost shock. They may not have the high performance when going around bends at high speed, and they may not last as long as expensive shocks, but they will not cause the vehicle to be jolted every time it hits a bump in the road.

Agreed! Generic white box struts and shocks are the hot ticket- especially on a more expensive vehicle.

light weight of cars these days? my '84 Accord weighed 2200 pounds. A 1980 Civic weight 1700 pounds. I'd expect their current weights to be 60-80% more.

I avoid Toyota and Kia on the rental lot … I'm not there for a reliable appliance … I want a smooth car for a week so I tend to get a Charger or Impala …

Originally Posted by flinter
Hi

Which of the 2020 model year compact cars is considered the most comfortable, composed ride quality? Meaning least harsh over bumps and composed and smooth?

Elantra, Forte, Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Golf, Mazda 3, Impreza?

Corolla and Jetta tend to be smoother rides... just stay away from the larger wheel diameters. less sidewall negatively impacts ride quality

Magazines tend to favor sportier rides such as the Mazda 3 and Civic

Last edited:
Out of the list you have, I drove all of them except the Forte back when I was shopping in this segment (8 years ago...). We ended up with the Impreza because of how smooth and well controlled the ride was on rough roads. 137K later and she still absorbs bumps better than my coworkers (much newer) VWs, Fords, and Mazdas.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The light weight of car now days causes them to have bumpy rides. .

2000 Corolla 2400 lbs, 2010 Corolla 2700-2900 lbs, 2020 Corolla 2900 - 3100 lbs. Models seem to always get bigger and heavier over time.

Originally Posted by flinter
What I like about the 2020 Elantra and Forte....NO GDI, NO TURBO. Just a basic, naturally aspirated port injection engine seems to be less issues long term.

The 2020 Elantra and the Forte both have CVT's IIRC....although I haven't heard of any issues like Nissans...

I'm guessing the Impreza has the best ride. Many cars on the list have an antiquated non independent rear suspension which sucks. Only the rare 1.6 turbo Elantta and Forte has an independent rear suspensio.. The Jetta GLI also has a IRS, but not the other trim levels

Back