2020 Kia Rio Hatchback with CVT

What do you guys think about this car? They changed the engine and transmission for 2020. They went from direct fuel injection to MPFI and from a 6-speed auto to a CVT. I have my reservations about buying a CVT and a Kia, but the car looks nicely put together and I can likely get a better deal than a Honda Fit. The Chevy Spark is a real turd in comparison.

Hyundai and Kia new IVT no way of knowing how well it's going to hold up. New MPFI as well? I'd get the Fit. They've been out for years and have a proven track record.

I really like the looks of the new Rio hatchback. Seems to be well made and the gas mileage is outstanding. Not offered w/manual transmission and the rebates are small. (But neither for the Fit except for financing but you can still get a manual in the Fit "LX" model.) The Fit will hold it's value better. A used Hertz Rio Hatch would be the way to go IMO. I really like small cars, I wish Kia would bring the "Picanto" over here. What a nice car as is so many other European models.

I really like the looks of the new Rio hatchback. Seems to be well made and the gas mileage is outstanding. Not offered w/manual transmission and the rebates are small. (But neither for the Fit except for financing but you can still get a manual in the Fit "LX" model.) The Fit will hold it's value better. A used Hertz Rio Hatch would be the way to go IMO. I really like small cars, I wish Kia would bring the "Picanto" over here. What a nice car as is so many other European models.

I saw a lot of Picantos when I was in Asia. They are indeed a sharp little car and very popular as well.

A redeeming quality of a CVT is they tend to produce better MPG ratings than a MT. Not sure if this is reflected in reality but certainly a 41MPG rating with a CVT is compelling.

The 100K warranty is also compelling, but maybe with a fit you are less likely to need it. Don't think you could go wrong with either car. Helpful, i know lol

Looks like a nice car. I only have two personal gripes. I hate CVTs....wont buy any car with one. Also why can't the interior designers of many Asian cars get the touchscreen design and execution to be more integrated into the dash? I mean come on, many of them look like they just stuck it on with Velcro or something.

What do you guys think about this car? They changed the engine and transmission for 2020. They went from direct fuel injection to MPFI and from a 6-speed auto to a CVT. I have my reservations about buying a CVT and a Kia, but the car looks nicely put together and I can likely get a better deal than a Honda Fit. The Chevy Spark is a real turd in comparison.

the kia rio seems like a nice commuter car. besides the honda fit and chevy spark, what other subcompacts have you considered? i really like my older toyota yaris, wondering about the newer toyota yaris ia (rebadged mazda2).

Looks like a nice car. I only have two personal gripes. I hate CVTs....wont buy any car with one. Also why can't the interior designers of many Asian cars get the touchscreen design and execution to be more integrated into the dash? I mean come on, many of them look like they just stuck it on with Velcro or something.

One reason might be that the screen takes up valuable dashboard real estate. From what I’ve seen on Asian vehicles the instrument panels are getting lower. This leaves less room for climate controls etc. A lower instrument panel gives better visibility too.

the kia rio seems like a nice commuter car. besides the honda fit and chevy spark, what other subcompacts have you considered? i really like my older toyota yaris, wondering about the newer toyota yaris ia (rebadged mazda2).

I have also considered but Mitsubishi Mirage, but I don't know if Mitsu will be in this country for much longer. I really didn't want to get a car with the 2-headed monster of CVT and direct injection. Both systems have proven to be less than reliable. Honda has both systems and a shorter warranty. The Kia has a 100k powertrain warranty, which is very nice.

The '20 and '21 RIOs' , ACCENTs' and VENUE now have M.P.F.I.. I think M.P.F.I. is similar to G.D.I. or D.F.I.. The SMOG rating of both designs of the 1.6 ltr. engine is 3 . That's the G.D.I. and the new M.P.F.I. of the '20 . That tells of fuel dilution . Correct if wrong .
IMG_5068.JPG

Last edited:
The '20 and '21 RIOs' , ACCENTs' and VENUE now have M.P.F.I.. I think M.P.F.I. is similar to G.D.I. or D.F.I.. The SMOG rating of both designs of the 1.6 ltr. engine is 3 . That's the G.D.I. and the new M.P.F.I. of the '20 . That tells of fuel dilution . Correct if wrong . View attachment 26601
Fuel dilution but more likely intake valve carbon buildup.

Test drove this '20 hatch . All driving was city with many stops . The display showed 38.2 , so likely 34 or 35 actual gas mileage . Road welll . Is sharp . Plenty of room behind seats for items . Be sure to get the S . Get more the money than the LX . Rol up windows for the LX , don't see that often . Hate the One Touch window button . The oil filter is now a cartridge ( pic. : '20 RIO ) . The soot is from our '18 Accent tailpipe . Should apply to '20 and '211.6 ltr. .Click pics to enlarge . IMG_3356.JPGIMG_3355.JPGIMG_3354.JPGIMG_3353.JPGIMG_3356.JPGIMG_3355.JPGIMG_3354.JPGIMG_3353.JPGIMG_3350.JPGIMG_3347.JPGIMG_3346.JPGIMG_3717.JPG

Last edited:
The '20 and '21 RIOs' , ACCENTs' and VENUE now have M.P.F.I.. I think M.P.F.I. is similar to G.D.I. or D.F.I.. The SMOG rating of both designs of the 1.6 ltr. engine is 3 . That's the G.D.I. and the new M.P.F.I. of the '20 . That tells of fuel dilution . Correct if wrong . View attachment 26601

MPFI stands for multi port fuel injection or multi point fuel injection. It injects the fuel via the intake. Direct fuel injection (DFI) or Gasoline Direct injection (GDI) injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

What I hate about it:
CVT
Not made in USA.

What I like about it:
Rear drum brakes with a regular hand brake (no E brake).
Timing chain.
Regular key for ignition.
Regular temperature control.
No CD player
Reasonably priced.
Cargo are cover might be standard.
Hatchback

Honestly the CVT is a deal breaker, but I would consider a used one. Or just get a Chevy Sonic hatchback instead since at least it's made in USA.
If it has stop-start that would be a deal breaker as well.

Back