2020 Honda Pilot Capacity Spec Incorrect?

Capacity spec with a new filter is supposedly 5.7 quarts.

I'm only putting in around 5.5 (probably less), and it seems to be noticeably over the max line.

Are my eyes lying to me?

Oil capacities in the manual are for a typical service fill, you may need to tweak and adjust the amounts a little depending on your particular conditions, if you recently started the engine but the oil wasn't very warm more oil may have stayed in the top end of the engine when you drained it, the angle the car was sitting at and how long it sat draining before you put the plug back in could effect it, the service fill amount listed in the manual is just a good idea of how much comes out on average, it's best to put half a quart to a quart under and tweak it from there.

My daughter's pervious 2015 Civic was off between the owner's manual and the dipstick. When I bought a 5 qt jug of oil, I used just about the whole jug.
From CIVIC Owner's Manual:
1.8L 4cyl Capacity
Change oil only....3.7 US qt
Change including filter 3.9 US qt

This '15 Civic took 4.5 quarts w/o filter
And 4.75 quarts with a filter.

My daughter's pervious 2015 Civic was off between the owner's manual and the dipstick. When I bought a 5 qt jug of oil, I used just about the whole jug.
1.8L 4cyl Capacity

So the dipstick was off and you ran too much oil?

Just curious.. Why dont you change the filter as part of the oil; change....Seems like cheap insurance to me...Plus by getting underneath you have a chance to look around to see if you have any other issues or not...Thats just me speaking....:)
I see two posted the ha ha face...Why was my post funny???

Just did one a few weeks ago - it took 5.7.

If it took1/4 qt less than that, you probably drained it on a flat surface and for an inadequate amount of time. Did you do the oil change when the engine oil wasn’t hot?

You're dipstick will be your bestfriend.. follow owners manual recommendation on fill quantity and how to check.

Amsoil says:

Capacity:Without filter 5.4 quartsAfter refill check oil level.
With filter 5.7 quartsAfter refill check oil level.

Same as my Odyssey.

Thanks all - it was cold but drained for a good bit.

For my 4cyl Honda - using the fill capacity brings it to a little over the lower limit - I assumed they made that decision to keep folks from overfilling.

I'm not exactly a perfectionist, but I'll probably use my new fluid extractor to pull a bit out through the fill tube. (It's probably not worth worrying about, but over-filled concerns me more than under).

That was probably your problem. Cold oil takes a very long time to fully drain, often hours. Try draining after a long drive (with the front on Jack stands) and you’ll get a much more complete drain in 10-15 min.

thanks - I just can't seem to do it without making a mess. I probably spilled 1/4 quart on the driveway. always afraid of burning myself or laying in hot oil.

thanks - I just can't seem to do it without making a mess. I probably spilled 1/4 quart on the driveway. always afraid of burning myself or laying in hot oil.
Get a large, deep drain pan like this one:

Since SUV’s are tall and 0W20 is thin, manually hold the drain pan near the drain plug until a quart or two is drained out to avoid the initial splatter. For the filter, use a form-a-funnel to divert the spillage to the drain pan.

Reactions: hrv
1.8L 4cyl Capacity

Seems too much for a R18. I usually put 4L (4.2 qt) in and they are between 3/4-max on the stick. Oil level can vary a bit depending on the temp too, I always check when the oil is at normal operating temp.

Back