2020 BMW X3 XDrive 30i

It's slower than my Mazda. That is unsat for a BMW SUV. BMW SUV has always been about luxury and power, and the new X3 is not, without M packaging. Now their cars? Absolutely. But even that, not anymore. They are no longer driving machines, but cruising machines. They've gone the way of MB, albeit a bit slower in the timeline.
What are you talking about? The B48 engine is extremely impressive for a 2.0T, maybe even more so in the X3 considering the weight it's moving. Moreover, one's head has to be in the sand not to know what an absolute beast of an engine the B58 I6 is. They offer it in almost all models including the X3 (M40i which is crazy fast for what it is). They even go a step further and offer the S58 in the X3 (X3M and X3M Competition) which will blow the doors off of many sports cars.

What are you talking about? The B48 engine is extremely impressive for a 2.0T, maybe even more so in the X3 considering the weight it's moving. Moreover, one's head has to be in the sand not to know what an absolute beast of an engine the B58 I6 is. They offer it in almost all models including the X3 (M40i which is crazy fast for what it is). They even go a step further and offer the S58 in the X3 (X3M and X3M Competition) which will blow the doors off of many sports cars.
Its almost like I said that the ///M package is where its at.

BMWs 2.0 motivates the x3 alright. But its more like a lower trim domestic or a Japanese SUV than a german SUV, which I have always ever since their inception, as such, equated with a bruiser of an engine.

How are the F3x holding up in Canada?
Fairly well, maybe a little better than the E90's. Of course, it really depends where you park them. In a heated garage, they will be great, let it sit outside in the damp, in the shade or near a downspout and not drive them every day, everything underneath is going to be heavily corroded and seized. Starting to have to replace rear toe arms on the F3xs because the toe adjusters are seized in the bushings, but only on the worst cars for corrosion.

Why the 30e?
Amazing tech for the money, better for the environment, and incredible fuel economy while being faster than the 30i. Plus, it has enough range for her to drive to work pure electric, then get one of the premium spots at the hospital to charge it, then drive home pure electric. I like it because it will force her to park in the garage with the charger instead of letting it rot outside. LOL

To add to thread, just convinced my sister to trade in her 335 for an X3 30e PHEV. Thank god I won’t have to work on the old E90 anymore. ;)
My son just bought a CPO 2018 330i xDrive. He’s returning my 2009 328i to me. I’m fixing a couple of glitches and unloading it to CarMax. I could never really get excited over that generation- M3 excepted.

Amazing tech for the money, better for the environment, and incredible fuel economy while being faster than the 30i. Plus, it has enough range for her to drive to work pure electric, then get one of the premium spots at the hospital to charge it, then drive home pure electric. I like it because it will force her to park in the garage with the charger instead of letting it rot outside. LOL
If I didn’t already have the Clubman I would pick up an F30 330e for my DD.

This is why I am going Rav4 Prime. The 3 is probably more fun in the corners with a nicer interior, but the prime has twice the range and more power, as well as Toyota having phev very sorted,so I did that.

Fairly well, maybe a little better than the E90's. Of course, it really depends where you park them. In a heated garage, they will be great, let it sit outside in the damp, in the shade or near a downspout and not drive them every day, everything underneath is going to be heavily corroded and seized. Starting to have to replace rear toe arms on the F3xs because the toe adjusters are seized in the bushings, but only on the worst cars for corrosion.
One last thing. How are the gaskets for the oil filter housing holding up on the B58? The repair looks like a total PITA vs the N55.

One last thing. How are the gaskets for the oil filter housing holding up on the B58? The repair looks like a total PITA vs the N55.
That’s the understatement of the century. I think warranty time is 14 hours to replace it. Have never seen one leaking, though, we have replaced several. There is a bulletin to replace it if the oil filter gets stuck in the housing and the filter media tears while trying to remove it.

The more I think about it, I think it might actually be faster to remove the entire power train from the vehicle first if that means you can change the housing without removing the intake manifold.

Last edited:
That’s the understatement of the century. I think warranty time is 14 hours to replace it. Have never seen one leaking, though, we have replaced several. There is a bulletin to replace it if the oil filter gets stuck in the housing and the filter media tears while trying to remove it.

The more I think about it, I think it might actually be faster to remove the entire power train from the vehicle first if that means you can change the housing without removing the intake manifold.
holy crap!

Wow! The OFHG is pretty easy on the N51/N52 engine. The N20 looks pretty simple, also.

This being such a common issue on BMWs, I why would BMW make the OFH so difficult to access?

Wow! The OFHG is pretty easy on the N51/N52 engine. The N20 looks pretty simple, also.

This being such a common issue on BMWs, I why would BMW make the OFH so difficult to access?
Packaging, production, and engineering don't always account for ownership.

LT1 spark plugs in early to mid 90s F bodies...Ford internal water pumps in early EB.

Update on this:

Drove up to see the X5's today, on the way up, twice, the iDrive crashed (rebooted) with my iPhone navigation running (Google Maps). It did it once on the way home, so I cancelled navigation and just using CarPlay, it was fine. So, seems to be Nav/Carplay/iDrive related. Gave me flashbacks to when the Nav in my M5 crashed in Montreal with the new nav disc because the street layout was too complex.

Back