2020 BMW X3 XDrive 30i

The G01 is the first X3 my wife and I have liked since the E83 we owned for 12 years and 198,000 miles. I took a few home when I worked at BMW and I thought they were very impressive. Heresy Alert: If I had the disposable income I 'd definitely consider an X3 M Competition.

The G01 is the first X3 my wife and I have liked since the E83 we owned for 12 years and 198,000 miles. I took a few home when I worked at BMW and I thought they were very impressive. Heresy Alert: If I had the disposable income I 'd definitely consider an X3 M Competition.
Agreed. The base x3 just doesnt have the power to be a real bmw SUV, in my opinion. Its a cheap version meant to compete with Mazda, Ford, GM, etc and manages to be slower than all of them.ive no love for it. ///M=BMW, imo, when it comes to SUVs.

Agreed. The base x3 just doesnt have the power to be a real bmw SUV, in my opinion. Its a cheap version meant to compete with Mazda, Ford, GM, etc and manages to be slower than all of them.ive no love for it. ///M=BMW, imo, when it comes to SUVs.
Most BMW are not that fast, has always been like that. Most people buy them because they want a well built vehicle, not the speed. But with that, the X3 with the B48 is no slouch.

Most BMW are not that fast, has always been like that. Most people buy them because they want a well built vehicle, not the speed. But with that, the X3 with the B48 is no slouch.
It's slower than my Mazda. That is unsat for a BMW SUV. BMW SUV has always been about luxury and power, and the new X3 is not, without M packaging. Now their cars? Absolutely. But even that, not anymore. They are no longer driving machines, but cruising machines. They've gone the way of MB, albeit a bit slower in the timeline.

It's slower than my Mazda. That is unsat for a BMW SUV. BMW SUV has always been about luxury and power, and the new X3 is not, without M packaging. Now their cars? Absolutely. But even that, not anymore. They are no longer driving machines, but cruising machines. They've gone the way of MB, albeit a bit slower in the timeline.
Always? Have you ever driven a first gen base X3? Or a second gen X3? Will give you a hint, they are slow as molasses.

Last edited:
Always? Have you ever driven a first gen base X3? Or a second gen X3? Will give you a hint, they are slow as molasses.
The X5 put BMW SUVs on the map in 1999, when it arrived with a 282hp V8. It did the quarter in 15.4 at almost 90mph. For late 1990s SUV, this was indeed powerful.

The X5 put BMW SUVs on the map in 1999, when it arrived with a 282hp V8. It did the quarter in 15.4 at almost 90mph. For late 1990s SUV, this was indeed powerful.
But we are not talking about X5’s, and the new base X3 is significantly faster than that anyways. Does a 14.8 1/4 mile, which is almost exactly the same as the CX5 turbo.

Last edited:
My wife’s E84 X1 is as quick as my E24 M6(before I installed a Dinan chip and before the catalytic converter fell off in the garage one Saturday morning). I also like the X3 M40i, but it isn’t any faster than my M235i.

I've been told that due to comfort access feature if the key fob is left in the vehicle or near the vehicle it will be constantly communicating with the car causing the key fob battery to drain faster.
If at the right distance over enough time, it will also cause modules to start shutting down and basically kill the car for a while. Happened to me while working in my garage on a suspension changeout. Has happened to others when just leaving their key for a wash/detailing job in their office parking garage. The joke is the car's sleep pattern was disrupted so it got angry and shut down.

Back