2019 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo six speed........transmission oil

Clever, do you have any UOA's of this mixture? and, how many is 'all'? and specifically what year/makes/models/engines/transmissions?

I doubt that Fuchs is the OE fluid.

Until I see a VOA/UOA of the 2019+ factory fill and dealer fluids, I won't make an aftermarket recommendation.

BTW, there is no level check plug on my 2019. I have to drain the transmission, drain from the bottom shift fork pivot pin, replace the oring on the shift fork pivot pin and torque the bolt to 18-19ftbls, torque drain plug to 25-26ftlbs(no washer gasket needed), and then fill it with a pre-measured 2.21 quarts. I am not sure if my measuring bottle has a .21 quart amount.... 2 quarts plus 6.72 ounces.... what to do? round up to 7 ounces? 🤣

“All” means multiple 02J and one 02Q gearboxes. I’ve used GL-5 in the Q, it doesn’t have any yellow metals so it’s fine but not as smooth as the blend of MT-LV and SS.

I don’t run UOAs on gear oil.

“All” means multiple 02J and one 02Q gearboxes. I’ve used GL-5 in the Q, it doesn’t have any yellow metals so it’s fine but not as smooth as the blend of MT-LV and SS.

I don’t run UOAs on gear oil.
Even so GL-5 has extra adds and less of others that are not optimal for synchronized transmissions unless VW says GL-5 I'd avoid.

Clever, do you have any UOA's of this mixture? and, how many is 'all'? and specifically what year/makes/models/engines/transmissions?

I doubt that Fuchs is the OE fluid.

Until I see a VOA/UOA of the 2019+ factory fill and dealer fluids, I won't make an aftermarket recommendation.

BTW, there is no level check plug on my 2019. I have to drain the transmission, drain from the bottom shift fork pivot pin, replace the oring on the shift fork pivot pin and torque the bolt to 18-19ftbls, torque drain plug to 25-26ftlbs(no washer gasket needed), and then fill it with a pre-measured 2.21 quarts. I am not sure if my measuring bottle has a .21 quart amount.... 2 quarts plus 6.72 ounces.... what to do? round up to 7 ounces? 🤣
Sorry, I don't quite understand. Does it not have a bottom drain plug? Are you adding through the bottom shift fork pivot pin? or is that an additional drain point? Where, exactly, do you add fluid into?

That's crazy that it does not have a normal fluid-fill / fluid level check port.

Hope it's ok to revive this discussion.

Back in 2017 I got my then new GTI and I planned to change transmission oil after its first 2500 mls. Thought it's like usual - one fill plug and one for drain. Quite easy job.
When I had the car on the lift I was surprised to notice that at the place where the fill plug has been before, there's none. At that time nobody (on the internet) reported about any modification on the 02Q gearbox. So I went home with just doing the engine oil, not the MTF. Compare these two diagrams and look for item #24:

Back at home I registered to VW's Erwin-Online and paid the fee. On a side note, for checking for correct oil level VW suggests to drain the oil, measure volume, if neccessary add the required amount and then put the SAME OLD gear oil BACK IN. I highly doubt most mechanics are able to keep this oil that clean so that it's acceptable to put it back in. However, more importantly, VW suggest to remove a plastic locking bolt (02M301241C) which locks the shifter assembly in place and fill the oil through that hole into the gearbox. Unsurprisingly, VW recommends to replace this costly nylon bolt. As usual, ECS has nice pictures of that part:

1530871_x800.webp

Next day I removed it and changed the oil with Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80. Only marginally thicker compared to VW G 052 527, shifting is fine. I'll replace the bolt next time though when I retry OE fluid VW G 052 527, as I have it laying around for some time anyway.

All in all, some advice given in ELSA/Erwin seems crazy to me and I clearly would prefer a dedicated fill plug, though it isn't much hareder to remove this plastic bolt. Just don't damage it.

Btw, any opinions on slightly overfilling manaual gearboxes? VW specs 2,3 l and without the traditional fill plug it'd be easy to add some 200 or 300 ml.

Last edited:
newer = more PITA, that said like thinner engine oils other fluids target MPG's + are NOT lifetime!! i use Redline MT90 in my traded 01 jetta O2j + now in my O2M 6 spd in my 2001 TT 225Q. i got the car with about 38 thou on it +it shifted just OK put in the Redline MT90 + its like BUTTER smooth. search + join the VW vortex for great info from MANY members!!

I went back to OE VW G 052 527 a couple of months ago. Both Castrol Syntrans
V-FE 75W-80 (= Castrol Transmax V 75W-80) and VW G 052 527 feel fine, and I'd
bet VW G 052 171 would be fine too. I don't feel any need for using thicker fluid
on a VW 02Q transmission. When a 6.5 to 8.0 cSt fluid feels excellent 14 or 15 cSt
is likely gonna be less than ideal.
I overfilled by ~300 ml and also used a magnetic drain plug. At 53.000 km/33,000
miles the car is on its third transmission oil fill and I don't plan on doing the next
swap before 100.000 km/65,000 mile on the clock but I'll very most probably use
Castrol again as it's less than half of VW's golden G 052 527 elixir.

Last edited:
Hope it's ok to revive this discussion.

Back in 2017 I got my then new GTI and I planned to change transmission oil after its first 2500 mls. Thought it's like usual - one fill plug and one for drain. Quite easy job.
When I had the car on the lift I was surprised to notice that at the place where the fill plug has been before, there's none. At that time nobody (on the internet) reported about any modification on the 02Q gearbox. So I went home with just doing the engine oil, not the MTF. Compare these two diagrams and look for item #24:

Back at home I registered to VW's Erwin-Online and paid the fee. On a side note, for checking for correct oil level VW suggests to drain the oil, measure volume, if neccessary add the required amount and then put the SAME OLD gear oil BACK IN. I highly doubt most mechanics are able to keep this oil that clean so that it's acceptable to put it back in. However, more importantly, VW suggest to remove a plastic locking bolt (02M301241C) which locks the shifter assembly in place and fill the oil through that hole into the gearbox. Unsurprisingly, VW recommends to replace this costly nylon bolt. As usual, ECS has nice pictures of that part:

1530871_x800.webp

Next day I removed it and changed the oil with Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80. Only marginally thicker compared to VW G 052 527, shifting is fine. I'll replace the bolt next time though when I retry OE fluid VW G 052 527, as I have it laying around for some time anyway.

All in all, some advice given in ELSA/Erwin seems crazy to me and I clearly would prefer a dedicated fill plug, though it isn't much hareder to remove this plastic bolt. Just don't damage it.

Btw, any opinions on slightly overfilling manaual gearboxes? VW specs 2,3 l and without the traditional fill plug it'd be easy to add some 200 or 300 ml.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Tiguan does not use a 02Q transmission. It's the 0A6 family that is shared with the TT-RS.

Not sure if that's true for all engines available on the (Euro spec) Tiguan,
but even if true, it isn't even relevant for the missing fill plug. Today I do
know, VW decided to remove the fill bore on 02Q transmissions in 2016
or even earlier. There are some discussions about this on Vortex starting
in mid 2018, appr. one year after I noticed the mission fill bore and plug.
That's why back then I had to do my own research.

Not sure if that's true for all engines available on the (Euro spec) Tiguan,
but even if true, it isn't even relevant for the missing fill plug. Today I do
know, VW decided to remove the fill bore on 02Q transmissions in 2016
or even earlier. There are some discussions about this on Vortex starting
in mid 2018, appr. one year after I noticed the mission fill bore and plug.
That's why back then I had to do my own research.
Your link points to the 5N0 generation Tiguan (PQ35/46 chassis), which they all use a 0A6 transmission if you want a 6-speed manual, not a MQB chassis Tiguan.

I agree I should have provided a different link.
However, does it actually matter? There isn't an actual requirement for
any link. The missing fill plug is out of question and that post is half a
year old, so what's the point?

Back