2019 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo six speed........transmission oil

Hi everyone,
I own a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta GLI with the six speed LSD transmission. My car has 4,300 miles on it as of today. I purchased the car new in May, and I didn't notice any shifting issues over the course of the spring/summer/fall. Now that the winter is upon us, I have noticed some "notchy" shifting, most especially going into second gear. The second gear issue is most noticeable when attempting to accelerate briskly. I posted about this issue on the GLI Facebook page, and I am not alone in dealing with this issue.
I assume that it has something to do with the syncros in second gear, but I also assume that the transmission oil also plays a roll in the shift quality. In looking at the Amsoil product recommendation page, they do not have a suitable oil for my transmission. What kind of oil does my trans require? Is the OEM VW oil of good quality? In other cars I have had amazing success with Redline MT-90, but I assume that will not work in my car?
Redline does make: MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil, it seems to mention VW , would that be appropriate? Any warranty concerns by switching the trans oil?

Thank you!

Does the trans shift better when warmed up? i have used the Redline MTF for years in my vehicles and have been pleased though it didn't solve the impossible second to first gear down shift in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl manual trans .

Does it do it when it's cold/before the car warms up? My GTI is notchy going from 1-2 when the car is cold. I was thinking about doing a fluid change and try the Redline too.

Actually it doesn't get better even when it's fully warmed up. The issue only seems to be when you are accelerating very fast. In normal driving it seems to go into second without an issue.

The one thing most folks never think to check is whether or not you are getting full clutch disengagement. Some air in the clutch hydraulics will show as a notchy feeling shift. For my Mazda6 there is a test and a spec in the manual. The point of first engagement is determined by partially shifting into reverse while really slowly letting out the clutch. At the point where it starts "chattering" you measure the distance from top of clutch pedal to the floor... and Mazda has a minimum distance spec. A figure that has to be exceeded... for it to pass the test. If it flunks - you 'hafta bleed the clutch hydraulics. See if the VW manual has a similar test...and test yours.

Your car is under the VW warranty. Take it to the dealer and have the Service Manager take it for a spin.
Fair enough... but you should know what the dealer has to check beforehand. I do not have blind faith in their diagnostic abilities. And chances are really good that they'll say that the vehicle is within the range of "normal" even if it's not!

Hi everyone,
I own a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta GLI with the six speed LSD transmission. My car has 4,300 miles on it as of today. I purchased the car new in May, and I didn't notice any shifting issues over the course of the spring/summer/fall. Now that the winter is upon us, I have noticed some "notchy" shifting, most especially going into second gear. The second gear issue is most noticeable when attempting to accelerate briskly. I posted about this issue on the GLI Facebook page, and I am not alone in dealing with this issue.
I assume that it has something to do with the syncros in second gear, but I also assume that the transmission oil also plays a roll in the shift quality. In looking at the Amsoil product recommendation page, they do not have a suitable oil for my transmission. What kind of oil does my trans require? Is the OEM VW oil of good quality? In other cars I have had amazing success with Redline MT-90, but I assume that will not work in my car?
Redline does make: MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil, it seems to mention VW , would that be appropriate? Any warranty concerns by switching the trans oil?

Thank you!

Whatever you do with the oil - ensure it is SOLELY GL-4 if VW spec's that.

Find the VW spec for your transmission from erwin.vw.com or your local dealer(via vin lookup since parts guys are clueless).
Buy a bottle from dealer and get a VOA on it. Then pick an aftermarket fluid.
GL4... is a must. Grade varies. Don't pick a fluid without exactly knowing what is required and already installed.

I'd also UOA the old gear oil once you change it to see how much it sheared or even if it matches the requirement.

The VW oil is excellent.

Thought I would post an update on new fluid. My 18 GTI has 29k mi on it and was very notchy when it was cold. It has started to warm up here in KS, but the 1-2 shift was still not great. I did a drain/fill on my transmission fluid with Red Line MT-LV and the transmission now shifts buttery smooth. I bought the fluid kit from ECS Tuning which included 3 quarts of fluid and the drain plug and fill plug. I'd highly recommend it.

Call me a "broken record", to coin an old phrase. See attached (sorry... small font - turn ur 'phone sideways). Having a notchy 1st to 2nd when it's cold ambient is often the norm. Just shift the first few times first-to-second at 'real slow road speeds and DON'T downshift to 2nd for the first few miles except at the last possible time / at 'real low roadspeeds. The OEM lubricant often will give you the best long term mileage/durability out of the trans!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-124354~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-124354~2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 35
The factory fluid is Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75w

Nope. that fluid is not a dedicated GL-4 spec fluid and is NOT the OEM.

You should make sure to use GL-4 fluid and the correct weight which is a 75w synthetic.

Some of the aftermarket websites will say GL-5 or GL-4+, GL-4/5...WRONG. They are not the original specification for this model.

Nope. that fluid is not a dedicated GL-4 spec fluid and is NOT the OEM.

You should make sure to use GL-4 fluid and the correct weight which is a 75w synthetic.

Some of the aftermarket websites will say GL-5 or GL-4+, GL-4/5...WRONG. They are not the original specification for this model.
You obviously did not look at the link, as it is a GL-4 fluid, and Is the OEM.

The reason why Redline has a MT-LV fluid? Because of the Fuchs 75W OEM fluid,

The VW oil is G052 527 (size of bottle code)...

Last edited:
Sounds like VW manual.
Try Motul fluid that is recommended for VW. Redline recommends MT-LV, which you could definitely go with.

Every one i've ever owned did the exact same thing, but from second to third. Still loved them.

The Owner's Manual should have the right specs listed for you OP. I'd just go there.

Last edited:
You obviously did not look at the link, as it is a GL-4 fluid, and Is the OEM.

The reason why Redline has a MT-LV fluid? Because of the Fuchs 75W OEM fluid,

The VW oil is G052 527 (size of bottle code)...
That must be a fairly new spec as prior to this year or so the only thing I saw from Fuchs in 75w was a GL4+ fluid.

Still doubt that Fuchs is the OEM fluid though.

Clever, do you have any UOA's of this mixture? and, how many is 'all'? and specifically what year/makes/models/engines/transmissions?

I doubt that Fuchs is the OE fluid.

Until I see a VOA/UOA of the 2019+ factory fill and dealer fluids, I won't make an aftermarket recommendation.

BTW, there is no level check plug on my 2019. I have to drain the transmission, drain from the bottom shift fork pivot pin, replace the oring on the shift fork pivot pin and torque the bolt to 18-19ftbls, torque drain plug to 25-26ftlbs(no washer gasket needed), and then fill it with a pre-measured 2.21 quarts. I am not sure if my measuring bottle has a .21 quart amount.... 2 quarts plus 6.72 ounces.... what to do? round up to 7 ounces? 🤣

Back