2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid as a replacement for my 2011 Prius. My experience with the Prius has been very favorable from a reliability standpoint; I have only experienced two minor repairs (intermediate steering shaft and MAF sensor) totaling under $400 during my 184K miles of ownership. So, I am inclined to purchase another Toyota hybrid for that reason alone. My space and personal needs have outgrown a Prius which is leading me to consider a RAV4.

The only issue is the price of the RAV4 Hybrid - a modestly equipped XLE Hybrid (mid-level trim) will likely sticker for about $34-35K. I have a contact who can pre-order one for me at a very favorable discount, but ultimately, the spread between invoice and MSRP is only about $2K....so there is not much to discount. Mid-$30K for a RAV4 seems like a lot of coin. I do drive a lot of miles (15-20K/yr) so the RAV4 Hybrid's 41/37/39 mpg is very appealing to me.

Are there any other vehicles that you would consider? I am looking for a hatchback/wagon or SUV form factor, interior volume that is equivalent to a mid-size car, high mpg, reasonable reliability and good parts availability.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/rav4-hybrid/2019/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-first-test/

Look at the Kia Niro. It has great mpg like the Prius, but is a small SUV that starts below $24000 and tops out around $32000.

That's a good choice. I really like the new styling of the Rav4. I think it's far and away better looking than its competitors. I personally would just go with the Rav4 since you've had such good luck with the Toyota brand.

What about a Prius V? You know the power train and the cargo space inside is pretty big. You have to buy used however.

Last edited:
I really like the new nose. More like a Tacoma. I just don't think the added complexity of a hybrid are justified by the small increase in MPG

Originally Posted by PandaBear
What about a Prius V? You know the power train and the cargo space inside is pretty big. You have to buy used however.

I would prefer a new car.

My wife has her eyes on a 2019 Rav4 hybrid, also. They should be out in early April. My wife wants to wait for a 2020 model.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I would prefer a new car.
My Ford C-Max hatchback Hybrid is very good. They stopped making them as of the 2018 model year, so there are still a few left around, possibly, new or almost new. ;; I get 44 MPG in mine in mixed driving, Fuelly.com gets 41 MPG average, and that same basic powertrain has been around (evolved a bit) since 2004 (Escape Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid, C-Max Hybrid), popular for NYC taxis etc. & it handles better than any Prius ever did. .... I also tell people to consider the Honda Accord Hybrid, great and reasonably priced, but not a hatchback of course.
Kia Niro has a great warranty, forever on the battery, & I just don't like the use of a 6-speed automatic in it when Priuses, C-Maxes, and Accords have more elegant solutions. Still the Niro is quite good though.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I really like the new nose. More like a Tacoma. I just don't think the added complexity of a hybrid are justified by the small increase in MPG

Over 53K miles our average is just over 29 mpg with our 2014 RAV4 XLE. If the hybrid get 39 mpg combined that's hardly a small increase.

But, driving 20K a year and $3 gas only saves around $530....times 8 years is $4200. How much is a 2019 gas XLE?

We like the new look but we're in this one for 5 more years.

Wife drives a 2009 Venza AWD V6. Looking at the 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid as a next vehicle. Everything else has dropped off the "short list".
Probably end up improving mpg by about 60%, and at $4 a gallon, it will be a nice operational saving.

Last edited:
If you want something you ill flat out love, watch our local Lexus dealers for a CPO 2016 RX450h.
You will not be sorry.
Low $30's....

But that RAV Hybrid sounds pretty good as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
i'm not a Toyota fanboy, but I cant find anything negative to say about a Rav4 Hybrid.

Toyota styling is not kind to my eye, but the rav4 hybrid is pretty compelling.

Ive long thought that an RX hybrid would be a great choice. I don't like what they did with the recent styling. The MDX hybrid MPGs are not compelling.

So honestly I can't see another vehicle that is worth a ton of consideration if looking for good MPGs and the extra space of a cuv. As long as a cuv is all the extra space you think you need.

I see your reasoning for dumping the Prius as value and desirability goes out window for the market when a vehicle hits closer to 200k mark.

The Hybrid seems to be a decent choice just seems expensive to pay $35k for cloth seats in XLE.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota hybrid, they seem to have that pretty well figured out.
You just pay a premium for it, but probably worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back