2019 Subaru WRX - No 0W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the replies I will stick to 5w30, and hopefully with a good quality synthetic winter cold start flow wont be an issue. Thanks

The main thing I'd worry about (if it were to cause me worry) would be what freedom they give you within 5w-30. Do they allow any SN 5w-30? Or, do they want an SN/GF-5 lubricant? If it's just SN, then a C3 or an E6 5w-30 would work, and my preference would bring me to an E6. If it's SN/GF-5 only, then you have to decide if you want to go outside the manual wording.

Originally Posted by Garak
The main thing I'd worry about (if it were to cause me worry) would be what freedom they give you within 5w-30. Do they allow any SN 5w-30? Or, do they want an SN/GF-5 lubricant? If it's just SN, then a C3 or an E6 5w-30 would work, and my preference would bring me to an E6. If it's SN/GF-5 only, then you have to decide if you want to go outside the manual wording.

Not sure about the Canadian manual, but the U.S. manual is a little ambiguous.

It states API SN Resource Conserving OR ILSAC GF5. Does such an oil exist? It also states:

NOTE
. Each quantity indicated here is only a guideline. The necessary quantity for replacement may differ slightly depending on the temperature and other factors.

I generally recommend thicker oil in turbocharged Subaru's, but the uoa's on sheared/fuel contaminated DIT's running GF5 5W30's have been showing normal uoa wear despite having the operational viscosity of a 20 grade. I'd also recommend going with a C3 xW30 though.

Originally Posted by bluesubie
It states API SN Resource Conserving OR ILSAC GF5. Does such an oil exist?

API SN Resource Conserving is the same thing as ILSAC GF-5, so that part is relatively clear. On the other hand, my G37 manual (and many Infiniti and Nissan manuals) called for SM or newer or SM/GF-4 or newer. The ILSAC/Resource Conserving part was only optional as I read it, and Castrol's oil selector agreed with me, and listed their C3 as an option, but not their A3/B4, since that was SL. I went out of spec anyhow, but that's on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back