2019 Silverado 5.3 Oil Consumption

I have a 2019 Silverado with a 5.3 engine that is using at least a quart between oil changes. The motor has about 37,000 miles on it and I've changed the oil about 15% on OLM every time with 0W-20 Shell Rotella Gas Truck. Typically have 6-7500 miles between changes when it's low. Is this normal for this engine or are certain 0W-20 oils thicker and would help with this?

I wouldn't think a quart between oil changes is really that bad but then again if it was my new truck I would not be happy about it either. I don't think switching Brands would hurt though.

Hello Skins1,

I would like to think your consumption is based on your truck engine being a direct injection (DI) unit. IMO, your engine's consumption doesn't surprise me in the least.

I would consider moving up to thick 5W-30 after the warranty expires, something like thicker RGT or Quaker State FS oils.

Just my two-cents. YMMV, as well as others!

BTW, my Gen III 5.3L in my old Silverado uses about 1/2 quart between 5000-mile OCI's. I am happy with that. There's very little rust on my old Alaskan PU; I'll keep her awhile yet. :)

I have a 2018 with the 5.3L with around 26,000 miles and I don’t use any noticeable oil between changes. I used PP 0W20 for the first couple changes and have used M1 AFE 0W20 since. I’m using either AC Delcp or Wix oil filters. I also change when the OLM gets to about 10% (6,000-7,000 miles). Early on I did change way early, around 1,000 miles and again at 5,000. I never babied it either, I just drove it like I stole it. While your consumption doesn’t seem bad, I wouldn’t be happy if my truck were burning that amount either!

95% of my driving is Interstate with cruise set on 70 daily. I’m thinking of giving another 0w-20 a shot on the next oil change and see if there is any difference. The two I was looking at are M1 EP or Valvoline Synthetic.

95% of my driving is Interstate with cruise set on 70 daily. I’m thinking of giving another 0w-20 a shot on the next oil change and see if there is any difference. The two I was looking at are M1 EP or Valvoline Synthetic.
BTW, Welcome to the forum section! Good people here... continual learning can be had.

I have a 2015 Silverado with a 5.3. It has direct injection, AFM and VVT. I have used Valvoline Advanced Synthetic and Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage (I have uoa with the high mileage version posted here). I have no noticeable oil consumption in a 6K oci.

My 2018 5.3L burned no oil but it’s been traded. My 2017 5.3L uses no oil in 7k OCI’s (41k) … if it did, would probably move up to 5w30 … or try another brand etc …

Nothing wrong with trying another oil to see if it has an impact on the behaviour.

I’ve been happy with this.

Attachments

• AF4FC19D-94B1-4E36-8F34-684D95557316.jpeg
    AF4FC19D-94B1-4E36-8F34-684D95557316.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 129
1 qt in ~7,000 miles is well within spec... and in years past would be considered exceptionally good. My 2015 5.3L Silverado used about 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 0W-20 in 7,000 miles (30,000 miles on it when traded) and my 2018 Silverado uses little or no oil (Mobil 1 0W-30 and most recently, SuperTech 5W-30) in ~7,000 miles (20,000 miles on the truck so far). I broke-in both engines by the book and drive conservatively. Most of my driving is city/suburban.

IMHO, it is nothing to worry about.

I have a 2019 Silverado with a 5.3 engine that is using at least a quart between oil changes. The motor has about 37,000 miles on it and I've changed the oil about 15% on OLM every time with 0W-20 Shell Rotella Gas Truck. Typically have 6-7500 miles between changes when it's low. Is this normal for this engine or are certain 0W-20 oils thicker and would help with this?

On a brand new truck that's low mileage, I'd be concerned. To me, a quart of oil use in unacceptable on a brand new engine. However that 5.3 engine has been notorious for multiple oil related issues in the past years. There was a law suit about the oil consumption as well. My brother has the same engine in his truck and uses QSUD 5w30 with lower consumption but it still is using oil, just not as much.

I wonder if those that don't record any oil consumption, could simply be enjoying a sometimes byproduct of DI. A little fuel in the oil.

On a brand new truck that's low mileage, I'd be concerned. To me, a quart of oil use in unacceptable on a brand new engine. However that 5.3 engine has been notorious for multiple oil related issues in the past years. There was a law suit about the oil consumption as well. My brother has the same engine in his truck and uses QSUD 5w30 with lower consumption but it still is using oil, just not as much.
I have owned many … my family many more … no notorious 5.3L motor in any …

I have owned many … my family many more … no notorious 5.3L motor in any …

Wut? Are you saying you've never owned a 5.3L or never had issues? I find it hard to believe not a single one had issues. What generation of the 5.3L were or are they?

Wut? Are you saying you've never owned a 5.3L or never had issues? I find it hard to believe not a single one had issues. What generation of the 5.3L were or are they?
Pretty much all of them and 5.7L before them … L83 right now …
BiL did 400k with no issues … trans finally went, not engine …

Geez, what is it with GM engines using oil. I'd be disappointed but according to GM abnormal oil usage is 'normal'.

My dad's is a '14, we have used multiple 0w-20s from Valvoline, Shell, Castrol, and usually consumes quite a bit less than that. Maybe .5qt to .25qt over an interval.

Back