2019 Odyssey Elite - Dealer used wrong transmission fluid

I’m a Honda service advisor. My first thought is “be kind and respectful” and you’ll get your way. I had a technician put 2.0 in an Acura with the ZF 9-speed. I caught that it was the wrong fluid billed out when I was closing the invoice before the vehicle left the dealership. Everybody who was around in the shop agreed we needed to swap the fluid right away. We did and everything worked out fine.

Mistakes happen but that is certainly no excuse for carelessness. I would ask that they drain it and fill it twice if not three times.

Wishing you the best!

UPDATE: Spoke with service today at lunch. The short of it is that the bill is wrong and they put the correct fluid in. According to him, the parts that are used are scanned and recorded on the parts side, and they confirmed that they used Type 2.0 fluid. They are going to refund me the $65 difference in the cost of the fluid. My problem is that I have lost all confidence in this dealer and still am not sure what fluid is in this vehicle. The service manager was out so I left him a message to call me regarding this service visit. At this point I don't know how they can prove what they put in the vehicle so I don't know how I can be satisfied with this. How can they scan the correct fluid but the bill be printed up wrong? Seriously, what gives?

It even states they used 3.1 fluid on the Honda Owners online maintenance record.
Agreed. I had my CR-V in for free oil change coupon from dealer. They gave me the printed invoice and it said 5qts of oil on it...problem is, the CR-V only takes 3.7qts with new filter. I went back to the Service Manager and was basically like, "hey, uh, not sure if this is correct or what but the CR-V only takes 3.7qts, and you guys have 5 qts down...." The SM went and talked to a tech and said that they filled it with 3.7qts per manual/their books.

So then the question became, either you overfilled it and it wasn't correct or you guys are charging more on paper than what the vehicle needs. Because you would charge 4qts, not 5, to fill 3.7qts. :unsure:🤨
It was the 2nd free coupon I had and I was out of coupons but that's why I like to do my own stuff so I know it is correct.

Agreed. I had my CR-V in for free oil change coupon from dealer. They gave me the printed invoice and it said 5qts of oil on it...problem is, the CR-V only takes 3.7qts with new filter. I went back to the Service Manager and was basically like, "hey, uh, not sure if this is correct or what but the CR-V only takes 3.7qts, and you guys have 5 qts down...." The SM went and talked to a tech and said that they filled it with 3.7qts per manual/their books.

So then the question became, either you overfilled it and it wasn't correct or you guys are charging more on paper than what the vehicle needs. Because you would charge 4qts, not 5, to fill 3.7qts. :unsure:🤨
It was the 2nd free coupon I had and I was out of coupons but that's why I like to do my own stuff so I know it is correct.
When they do that the customer loses confidence

a tech and said that they filled it with 3.7qts per manual/their books
I don't doubt for a second that the tech put in the correct amount. They get a work order for an oil change, go and get a filter and crush washer, and fill it with an amount they probably have memorized for each model. The rest is just a dealership problem - inventory will never be right (I'm sure it's acceptable to be off in the bulk talk inventory numbers) and the parts group is "receiving" more revenue than they should (in turn, the service group is "losing" money).

What did the dipstick indicate ? Way overfilled ?

I don't doubt for a second that the tech put in the correct amount. They get a work order for an oil change, go and get a filter and crush washer, and fill it with an amount they probably have memorized for each model. The rest is just a dealership problem - inventory will never be right (I'm sure it's acceptable to be off in the bulk talk inventory numbers) and the parts group is "receiving" more revenue than they should (in turn, the service group is "losing" money).

What did the dipstick indicate ? Way overfilled ?
Dipstick indicated high but not over.

Absolutely. They called a few months ago due to MM schedule work. I kind of chuckled and was like, "already done it." They sounded dejected on the phone, "Oh....okay....:("

lol
People don't like this but this just went down.
Dropped my truck off last night to the Ford dealer.
Has had a rough idle since new- check it out- wrote the full details down for them

On the way back from the store just now I drive up and I see it parked exactly where i left it.
I call the dealer from my cell and say is the truck done.
Service guy says right at this moment the truck is on a test ride with the SM as nothing was found earlier and we are double checking.
Then he says- can we keep it overnight and do more testing on it. He has no clue I'm sitting in his lot.

If he said we couldn't get to it I wouldn't be super thrilled but I'd be fine with that. but no he lied. losers

Has had a rough idle since new- check it out- wrote the full details down for them

On the way back from the store just now I drive up and I see it parked exactly where i left it.
Service guy says right at this moment the truck is on a test ride with the SM as nothing was found earlier and we are double checking.
Then he says- can we keep it overnight and do more testing on it. He has no clue I'm sitting in his lot.

If he said we couldn't get to it I wouldn't be super thrilled but I'd be fine with that. but no he lied. losers
Wow, that's pretty messed up. I could understand if they took it for a drive earlier and parked it same spot but to say it's out on a drive right now when it's not...eesh. :/

If they only knew that they are not that slick. I live only 5 miles away.
I'm not real upset but just be honest
right? I'm the same way. I just got my CR-V picked up late last week from the dealer after having it for a month due to the rear-end collision. My wife goes, "what are these scratches on the panel with the window switch?"

o_O

"uh, what scratches?" /look over

ffs

seriously? :mad:

Wow! Imagine his surprise if you had walked into the shop while still talking to him...

This was years ago - My brother had an outback which suffered some sort of catastrophic engine failure, back around 2004. Got it towed to the dealer. Dealer told him it was his fault as it was 4.5 quarts over the full line. He brought in the receipt showing they gave it an oil change 4 days prior. Dealer bought the car back from him and gave him a very nice deal on the OB of his choice. At least they made it right.

Dealer told him it was his fault as it was 4.5 quarts over the full line. He brought in the receipt showing they gave it an oil change 4 days prior.
Why don't dealer shops check their own records before they make accusations ? :ROFLMAO:

The ugly thing is that the dealer service folks DO NOT CARE that they lied to you, they do it all the time.
Among other dishonest and crooked activity.

The auto repair and service industry does NOTHING to change this and wonders why people avoid them like the plague unless they are desperate.

It's one of the most shady industries in the country.

I posted this on another forum and was recommended to post here. I really would like to know the affects the Type 3.1 fluid could have on the function and operation of the transmission. I should have just changed myself like I started to do but you'd think the dealership would do better than this.

Hello all. My wife has a 2019 Odyssey Elite that has the 10 speed transmission in it. The maintenance minder noted it was due for trans fluid change so I decided to take it to the local dealer where it was bought to have it done. I started to do it myself but decided not to because of it being a new transmission. When it was picked up today, the invoice clearly states that they used 4 quarts of Type 3.1 fluid (08200-9017). The owners manual clearly states to use Type 2 in the Elite and Touring. I would have confronted the service manager but due to our schedules, the wift paid over the phone and the van was picked up after hours. Has anyone had this kind of experience and if so, how did you address it. Should the vehicle be towed back to the dealership for a flush and fill of the correct fluid? Thanks for any input!
A local Honda dealer serviced my wife's 2016 CRV. I looked at the invoice when she got home. DW1 fluid was listed. I called the service manger who dispatched a tow truck. They drained and refilled 4 times with the correct HCF-2 fluid.
Service manager says it could have been a paperwork foul up. But he was not taking any chances.

Back