2019 GMC Terrain 1.6L Diesel - Which Oil?

Local GMC dealer is installing and confirms that they are using basic (no brand) Full Synthetic 5W-30 DEXOS Gen2 oil. The oil cap simply says 5W-30 DEXOS. I would expect to find a requirement for a diesel oil meeting API CF.

These are the oils that I found that work. Each of the ones below are API CF compliant.

Pennzoil recommends: Pennzoil Platinum Euro L SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Mobil recommends: Mobil 1™ ESP 5W-30
Valvoline says: No oils that meet DEXOS2.... They do have FullSyn 5W30 DEXOS2, but it is not API CF compliant, thus the answer No Oils.
Castrol recommends: Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3

Since there is no API CF requirement from GMC, it makes me wonder if the house brand oil that they are using is correct for this engine. Thoughts?

M1 ESP Euro 5W30 when it goes on sale at NAPA. Tough to beat the 504/507 in that weight.

The CF part doesn't matter. Like you said, CF is not required. The dexos2 part is much more important :)

PP Euro L at Walmart seems to be the best option

If the dealer is doing it usually it’s genuine stuff they put in it. That would be weird if it wasn’t. Also didn’t know they made the Terrain in diesel.

If the dealer is doing it usually it’s genuine stuff they put in it. That would be weird if it wasn’t. Also didn’t know they made the Terrain in diesel.
The diesel has been phased out in the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox. The Diesel engines are typical to the Opel and Vauxhall of Europe. Any 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00 oil with the Dexos 2 approval will be fine.

The diesel has been phased out in the GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox. The Diesel engines are typical to the Opel and Vauxhall of Europe. Any 5W30 VW 504.00/507.00 oil with the Dexos 2 approval will be fine.
That’s interesting never seen a diesel one. And I know any will be fine. I just find it weird the dealer wouldn’t be using genuine oil like we did when I worked at the dealership.

Back