2019 GM 6.2 AFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
I want to defend the WWE ... I rode in the middle of several wrestlers on a Qantas A380 ... they were better mannered than many on this site ...

Whatchagonnado when the largest AFM runs wild on you................brother?

Last edited:
Well this thread turned to junk. The 6.2 is an awesome motor, AFM or not. What I can't understand is why GM doesn't get rid of the 6.0 gas hog, and put the 6.2 in the 2500???

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by 4WD
I want to defend the WWE ... I rode in the middle of several wrestlers on a Qantas A380 ... they were better mannered than many on this site ...

Whatchagonnado when the largest AFM runs wild on you................brother?

Close the site down, best comment ever made

Originally Posted by slimjim
Well this thread turned to junk. The 6.2 is an awesome motor, AFM or not. What I can't understand is why GM doesn't get rid of the 6.0 gas hog, and put the 6.2 in the 2500???

For the same reason they toss the 8 speed slushbox and install a 6L80 in our 3500 service vans. The 6.2 is not designed or programmed for HD use...

Is there an aftermarket device that can be plugged into the OBD-II port to disable it?

Can't help with that question but for those who aren't experiencing a seamless transition, in a post 2013 truck, I'd recommend having the dealer look at it and make sure you're running the recommended oil weight. It really should be seamless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Is there an aftermarket device that can be plugged into the OBD-II port to disable it?

Yes, it's made by Range Technology. A lot of Corvette owners use it. When you remove it from the port it does not leave any trace behind in the computer, so it's warranty safe too.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

For the same reason they toss the 8 speed slushbox and install a 6L80 in our 3500 service vans. The 6.2 is not designed or programmed for HD use...

EXACTLY. The 6.2 is a more of a "hot rod" engine than a "truck" engine. Sure, it will be just fine in 1500's that SAG when you put your groceries in the bed. But honestly, the longevity built into the 6.0 and the 6L80 is the reason the 2500 and 3500's are Heavy Duty....It's not just the bigger springs. LOL!!

Actually, my 3500 has the 6L90E tranny. Even beefier.

Here's what GM says is the different between the 6L80 and 6L90:
The 6L90 is a heavy-duty version of the 6L80 six-speed automatic, with a strengthened input gearset that has two additional pinion gears (six in total) and a strengthened output gearset that uses wider gears than the 6L80. Its flexibility extends to the clutches, where the 6L90 has one more clutch plate in each clutch than the 6L80 for heavy-duty applications. There is also a 6L90 version without the additional clutch plate to more closely match application requirements, where appropriate.

The 6L90 shares about 75 percent of the parts as the 6L80, although the case of the 6L90 is 35 mm longer than the 6L80 case. The 6L90's case also accommodates additional fasteners between the transmission and the transfer case for improved driveline noise/vibration performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phishin
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

EXACTLY. The 6.2 is a more of a "hot rod" engine than a "truck" engine. Sure, it will be just fine in 1500's that SAG when you put your groceries in the bed. But honestly, the longevity built into the 6.0 and the 6L80 is the reason the 2500 and 3500's are Heavy Duty....It's not just the bigger springs. LOL!!

Actually, my 3500 has the 6L90E tranny. Even beefier.

Here's what GM says is the different between the 6L80 and 6L90:
The 6L90 is a heavy-duty version of the 6L80 six-speed automatic, with a strengthened input gearset that has two additional pinion gears (six in total) and a strengthened output gearset that uses wider gears than the 6L80. Its flexibility extends to the clutches, where the 6L90 has one more clutch plate in each clutch than the 6L80 for heavy-duty applications. There is also a 6L90 version without the additional clutch plate to more closely match application requirements, where appropriate.

The 6L90 shares about 75 percent of the parts as the 6L80, although the case of the 6L90 is 35 mm longer than the 6L80 case. The 6L90's case also accommodates additional fasteners between the transmission and the transfer case for improved driveline noise/vibration performance.

Some of the reasons I have a 2500HD. I had a '98 2500 with a 454 and made a mistake in getting a 2013 1500. After inventing new swear words frequently, I went back to a 2015 2500, and the 6.0 is a darn near bullet proof commercial grade motor.

Will be interesting to see what the proposed 6.6L gasser than is being talked about as coming out in the 2500/3500 line for the 2020 model year turns out to be. The one thing that the GM Authority website is claiming is AFM will be part of the design along with DI. DI I can deal with. AFM would give me pause as to giving it more than just a glance.

The AFM in my 16 6.2L has been great. I might even replace the AFM parts if they fail. Or maybe i will just do the delete and upgrade the cam while im there. The 4 cyl mode can really save fuel in the right scenario. Like 30 to 45 mph light acceleration or just maintaining speed. The grunt of the 6.2 makes it more effective in 4 mode than a 5.3

I think they should put the GM 6.2 in everything. I can't help but look at all sorts of vehicles and think, man that would be better with a 6.2!

Could be possible it if one is on more flatter areas with consistent speeds, light loaded, etc. But not on rolling hill rural roads and city operations. My 2013 1500 5.3 had AFM. It rarely ever actually went into that mode. I later disabled it via software, and the difference in mpg over time was not noticeable. AFM just seems to add complexity without a benefit that is comparable to the cost to the consumer in both initial cost and operational cost. Something to appease the government bureaucrats.

And in terms of what the HD pickups main target market is for... commercial, equipment downtime cost money also. AFM in a 6.6 motor that is put in a vehicle that has a primary market of commercial users. And given what HD pickups are typically doing, AFM would hardly kick in. Not the wisest move any OEM has made. But then, the OEM's have been doing all that can to make autos and pickup trucks appear undesirable for the last decade.

Just one more thing to potentially cause a problem. The more complicated one makes the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

The 6.2 is not the wisest choice for commercial users also. Premium fuel is the major one. A motor like the current L96 6.0 offers a wide fuel use from ethanol free regular fuel all the way thru the blends up to E85. A commercial user can select the fuel that offers the lowest cost per mile. The Ecotec 6.2, while it can run on regular in some instances, it does so by the ECM choking the motor down. The Ecotec 6.2 is designed to operate primarily on premium fuel for maximum performance. That is why the 6.2 is absent from most, if not all, 1500 pickups that commercial users purchase. Commercial users as not going to pay the inflated price for premium gasoline. And the HD market that the new 6.6 would go to is primarily a commercial market. Personal users of HD pickups are the minority.

Just take the cost of regular fuel in my area, $1.79 and premium in my area, $2.50, and compare over a year the cost for fuel alone on 50,000 miles a typical commercial pickup truck might travel. Assuming a average of 17 mpg for each, regular would cost the commercial user for one vehicle roughly $5264 for the year, whereas Premium for the same period would cost $7352. Since commercial users typically make transportation choices that get down into pennies per mile on a spread sheet, the Ecotec 6.2 is a terrible choice for a commercial user. And the higher initial cost for the 6.2 was not even considered in this.

I always held GM v8 engines (not the vehicles) in high regard. I think GM took a major step backwards with DI and I don't much like AFM either. I really don't understand what they are doing.

I just don't trust GM to make a "high tech" engine when they have a hard time with plastic door handles and buttons falling off the dash. They were very good at making v8 engines but they didn't even trust themselves to go to port injection across the board until 1996. Even the 6.0 v8's in the three caprice's purchased at a former employer were not long lived and they didn't even have AFM. Two engines were shot before 100K. The vehicles were built in Australia so maybe that was the problem but they were still duds.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Could be possible it if one is on more flatter areas with consistent speeds, light loaded, etc. But not on rolling hill rural roads and city operations. My 2013 1500 5.3 had AFM. It rarely ever actually went into that mode. I later disabled it via software, and the difference in mpg over time was not noticeable. AFM just seems to add complexity without a benefit that is comparable to the cost to the consumer in both initial cost and operational cost. Something to appease the government bureaucrats.

And in terms of what the HD pickups main target market is for... commercial, equipment downtime cost money also. AFM in a 6.6 motor that is put in a vehicle that has a primary market of commercial users. And given what HD pickups are typically doing, AFM would hardly kick in. Not the wisest move any OEM has made. But then, the OEM's have been doing all that can to make autos and pickup trucks appear undesirable for the last decade.

Just one more thing to potentially cause a problem. The more complicated one makes the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

The 6.2 is not the wisest choice for commercial users also. Premium fuel is the major one. A motor like the current L96 6.0 offers a wide fuel use from ethanol free regular fuel all the way thru the blends up to E85. A commercial user can select the fuel that offers the lowest cost per mile. The Ecotec 6.2, while it can run on regular in some instances, it does so by the ECM choking the motor down. The Ecotec 6.2 is designed to operate primarily on premium fuel for maximum performance. That is why the 6.2 is absent from most, if not all, 1500 pickups that commercial users purchase. Commercial users as not going to pay the inflated price for premium gasoline. And the HD market that the new 6.6 would go to is primarily a commercial market. Personal users of HD pickups are the minority.

Just take the cost of regular fuel in my area, $1.79 and premium in my area, $2.50, and compare over a year the cost for fuel alone on 50,000 miles a typical commercial pickup truck might travel. Assuming a average of 17 mpg for each, regular would cost the commercial user for one vehicle roughly $5264 for the year, whereas Premium for the same period would cost $7352. Since commercial users typically make transportation choices that get down into pennies per mile on a spread sheet, the Ecotec 6.2 is a terrible choice for a commercial user. And the higher initial cost for the 6.2 was not even considered in this.

AFM potentional downtime isn't the leading factor for not implementing it in the 2500 and up sector it is useage and CAFE neither incentives OEM to use this technology.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
Even the 6.0 v8's in the three caprice's purchased at a former employer were not long lived and they didn't even have AFM. Two engines were shot before 100K. The vehicles were built in Australia so maybe that was the problem but they were still duds.

First time I ever heard anyone say anything bad about the 6.0

Whoever was abusing these Caprices must have really been doing a number on them. No way did one person have 3 Caprices with 6.0's that failed before 100k miles.... Someone was doing ignorant things to those cars

3 police officers

2 engines bad

Drove them like any other police car. None of the others crap out like that. The Australian made caprice is a POS. Sorry if that doesn't give you the warm fuzzies but it was crap inside and out.

3 police officers

2 engines bad

Drove them like any other police car. None of the others crap out like that. The Australian made caprice is a POS. Sorry if that doesn't give you the warm fuzzies but it was crap inside and out.

Where was the engine assembled?

I always held GM v8 engines (not the vehicles) in high regard. I think GM took a major step backwards with DI and I don't much like AFM either. I really don't understand what they are doing.

I just don't trust GM to make a "high tech" engine when they have a hard time with plastic door handles and buttons falling off the dash. They were very good at making v8 engines but they didn't even trust themselves to go to port injection across the board until 1996.

Sadly I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back