2019 Chevy Silverado: no hood insulation

After owning over a week I just noticed there’s no hood insulation mat on my truck. At first I thought the truck might have been in an accident and the pad had not been replaced. It has a clean Carfax but now I’m thinking being the base model Custom, GM felt that they could save a buck by eliminating the pad. After researching it turns out the pad wasn’t installed on the base models but the LT and up models have it. The pad is available from GM for a bit less than $100 and will fit my base Custom model but is it really needed? Either way I don’t want heat to possibly damage the hood paint but with no turbo, I’m thinking it most likely isn’t needed but IMO it has an unfinished under hood look without it.

IMG_1508.jpeg

Interesting...

Many folks with performance cars remove theirs to hear the engine more, and to reduce underhood temps.

You want to add one to make it look finished.

The mod bug...must change something ;-) Hey, I am just as bad!!!

Interesting...

Many folks with performance cars remove theirs to hear the engine more, and to reduce underhood temps.

You want to add one to make it look finished.

The mod bug...must change something ;-) Hey, I am just as bad!!!
The new bed cover and Weathertech mud flaps are on track to deliver Wednesday……🙃

It's for sound detonation, up to you if it is worth adding. I don't think it makes much of a difference after I removed it from a truck a long time ago (it was torn up).

After owning over a week I just noticed there’s no hood insulation mat on my truck. At first I thought the truck might have been in an accident and the pad had not been replaced. It has a clean Carfax but now I’m thinking being the base model Custom, GM felt that they could save a buck by eliminating the pad. After researching it turns out the pad wasn’t installed on the base models but the LT and up models have it. The pad is available from GM for a bit less than $100 and will fit my base Custom model but is it really needed? Either way I don’t want heat to possibly damage the hood paint but with no turbo, I’m thinking it most likely isn’t needed but IMO it has an unfinished under hood look without it.

View attachment 224123
I think it helps reduce the engine noise. Some VW'S have that and a front gasket to seal out engine noise.

I have a custom trailboss and it doesn't have that insulation either. No issues with sound, the engine is too quiet if you ask me. Save your money and buy the wheel well liners for the rear. That gives the truck a more noticeable finished look and it probably helps some with road noise

Save your money and buy the wheel well liners for the rear
I’m looking at the Husky liners as well. From the reviews, the liners go on much easier if left in the sun to become more pliable. How did your install go? Another thing that the General saved a Buck on that should have been OEM!

I’m looking at the Husky liners as well. From the reviews, the liners go on much easier if left in the sun to become more pliable. How did your install go? Another thing that the General saved a Buck on that should have been OEM!
I actually didn't know you could get those aftermarket. I bought the gm one's, the price was reasonable, and they installed without issue like factory parts tend to do.

How hot does it get? The cooling flow of the air from radiator should be enough to cool the bay. I don't think my Integra (even the Type R models out there) came with them and my hood does not have a paint fade that matches the supportive "bone" of the hood after 27 years and 270k miles.

They likely have done enough simulation that the base model won't get that hot and there is no need for insulation.

I think it helps reduce the engine noise. Some VW'S have that and a front gasket to seal out engine noise.
My IS250 has that and definitely is for sound. That car only has 200 lbft and 200 hp so it is definitely not for thermal as the bay was designed for at least a 3.5L and may even fit a 5L on the ISF.

View attachment 224123
The base models also do not come with fender liners in the rear.

Reactions: JTK
Back