2019 Audi Q7 advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife seems pretty decided on a Q7 to replace her Rogue as the new family hauler. (I wish she wanted a japanese minivan but that's a separate issue) I asked the dealer closest to us if they would do a deal at invoice price and the guy seemed pretty agreeable and didn't put up too much of a fight at all
smile.gif
So trying to get our ducks in order we contacted our credit union and they offer 2.5% financing. Next I have to see what they will offer for my Jeep on a trade in. And on forums I see they will try to sell me a maintenance package and extended warranty? Is this worth it on a high dollar German car? Otherwise I would probably buy castrol 5w-40 and a Hengsk filter and a fluid extractor? Not very familiar with Audi. What do you knowledgeable guys recommend? Am I missing anything here?

The maintenance package is worth it if you plan on having all services done at the dealer; of course see what they cover. You'll need brakes more often than you're used to. My 15 needed fronts at 20k and needs rears soon at 37k.

Originally Posted by Kage860
My wife seems pretty decided on a Q7 to replace her Rogue as the new family hauler. (I wish she wanted a japanese minivan but that's a separate issue) I asked the dealer closest to us if they would do a deal at invoice price and the guy seemed pretty agreeable and didn't put up too much of a fight at all
smile.gif
So trying to get our ducks in order we contacted our credit union and they offer 2.5% financing. Next I have to see what they will offer for my Jeep on a trade in. And on forums I see they will try to sell me a maintenance package and extended warranty? Is this worth it on a high dollar German car? Otherwise I would probably buy castrol 5w-40 and a Hengsk filter and a fluid extractor? Not very familiar with Audi. What do you knowledgeable guys recommend? Am I missing anything here?

I will never buy a dealer pkg! They've got your money and have no incentive to actually perform the services.

Audis are High Maintenance vehicle, same as all german cars, if you are keeping the car for a long time follow the maintenance to the letter even better if you follow the severe maintenance schedule. Attempt any maintenance ONLY if you are competent if not go where there is expertise. In the long run this will prove more economical. BTW that's quite a jump from a Rogue to a Q7, how about a Q5?

Last edited:
Those Q7's are beautiful, yet complex machines.

I might be in the market for a fun Euro SUV to replace the Pilot this year. I may lease (an expensive proposition) or buy, and get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Last edited:
smile.gif

How many miles a year does she drive?

Audicare is ridiculously cheap for a prepaid maintenance plan. The cost is barely more than doing the work yourself so I would recommend getting it.

When I was shopping for a Q5, I was quoted $4200-ish for a real Audi factory 10/120k extended warranty thru F-D Warranty.

She's been putting less than 10k per year on her rogue. Audi service interval seems to be 1yr or 10k miles.

If she drives less than 10k then you should add up the recommended service by both time and mileage and see where they fall in line with the dealership standard charge for them.
One big point with the Q7 over my A4 is the Q7 has the standard transmission and not the DSG. The DSG is to be serviced every 40k miles and is close to 700 dollars in a lot of markets practically making the Audi care a no brainer.
I chose to do all my maintenance work myself and after getting a 50 dollar pump it cost me about another 120 dollars for the DSG fluid so you can see the markup. Really depends if you like to work on your vehicles

Last edited:
smile.gif

Don't use maintenance package!
Are you getting V6 or 2.0T? Both are proven engines and after some initial issues, are solid now. Both engines in first versions had piston issues, PCV issues and 2.0T rear main seal issue.
Do not use Castrol 5W40 when 0W40 is available. Both are same price in Wal mart, but 0W40 is more sophisticated.
Q7 is easy to work on and there are numerous videos on DIY brake jobs, oil etc.
If you get it, you are arguably getting best snow monster out there. It will not be as neutral as BMW through mountain roads, but it is VERY forgiving snow monster that anyone can be fast in.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
The maintenance package is worth it if you plan on having all services done at the dealer; of course see what they cover. You'll need brakes more often than you're used to. My 15 needed fronts at 20k and needs rears soon at 37k.

Brakes are wearing out fast bcs of ridiculous weight in 2015. 2019 should be much better due to like 800lbs less.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Audicare is ridiculously cheap for a prepaid maintenance plan. The cost is barely more than doing the work yourself so I would recommend getting it.

Well said, and I agree.

It may not hold true if your plan is to use Rock Auto and clearance oil, but if you value factory parts and the convenience that Audi service departments offer, it is the way to go.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Brakes are wearing out fast bcs of ridiculous weight in 2015. 2019 should be much better due to like 800lbs less.

Not just the weight but also a function of the brake design. Big Brembos do their job and service life isn't the #1 priority.

We're planning on getting the 2.0. I dont mind changing oil but if we take it there for maintenance hopefully they will honor their warranty. Do they give free loaner cars for the maintenance or do i have to wait around? Is the extended warranty worth it?

We're planning on getting the 2.0. I dont mind changing oil but if we take it there for maintenance hopefully they will honor their warranty. Do they give free loaner cars for the maintenance or do i have to wait around? Is the extended warranty worth it?

If you plan on keeping the car past 4/50, then yes, it is worth it.

You can do your own oil changes, but regular maintenance is more than just oil changes.

My Audi store is 100 miles away. For $75 they leave a loaner in my driveway and take mine to be serviced. Email me an invoice and I pay online. Couldn't be simpler or more convenient.

If you drop the car off yourself the loaner service is free of charge. They normally keep a few on hand for emergency repairs - regular loaner service typically has a one or two week lead time.

The loaner policy is dependent on your dealer.

Originally Posted by dbias
If she drives less than 10k then you should add up the recommended service by both time and mileage and see where they fall in line with the dealership standard charge for them.
One big point with the Q7 over my A4 is the Q7 has the standard transmission and not the DSG. The DSG is to be serviced every 40k miles and is close to 700 dollars in a lot of markets practically making the Audi care a no brainer.
I chose to do all my maintenance work myself and after getting a 50 dollar pump it cost me about another 120 dollars for the DSG fluid so you can see the markup. Really depends if you like to work on your vehicles

Sample maintenance schedule: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...Maintenance-Schedule-Model-Year-2019.pdf

European brands are good with honoring warranties. However, per law, you can do your own work, and dealer must honor warranty as long as you use approved fluids, filters etc.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Absolutely, longevity is not priority. However, with new one, it should last bit longer. I managed to squeeze out some 38-40k from pads on X5, although I drove that SUV like I stole it. However, I did use downshift a lot to slow down.

As mentioned in most cases AudiCare is crazy cheap in the US and almost always worth it for most people. It does not include brake pads, tires etc, it is for normal maintenance out to 50k typically oil changes, brake flushes, first trans service, diff service, a set of plugs, air filter, etc. It depends on vehicle but most are $999 for it.

It is very probable the finance manager will try and sell you more, such as wheel and tire insurance, extended warranty, etc. Whether or not those are good or not is up to you. I almost always pass on extended warranty because you can buy it later anytime before 4 years or 50k if you decide to keep the vehicle.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the market is in your area but our local dealer is offering $10k off all in-stock 2019 Q7 Prestige models.

10k off? Wow. So it sounds like i should get the prepaid maintenace and say no to extended warranties. Dealer is 5 miles away so i have that going for me. I think the options my wife picked (q7 premium plus, winter package, summer package, beige paint) msrp was close to 60 and invoice was around 55. Appreciate all the advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back