2019 6.7 oil advice tow heavy

Good morning BITOG! Long time member here but haven't posted in awhile. Looking for some input on oil for a new 6.7 F350 dually. I tow a 42ft 16500 pound fifth wheel with it. Mostly tow around Texas so no big hills. The truck is a tow vehicle only so no daily stop n go driving. It's a year old with 4500 miles. I want to stick with Motorcraft oil for personal reasons. I have used the MC 5W40 synthetic for the last year but switched to the MC 15W40 on the last change. The OLM drops like a rock with all the sitting that the truck does so I hated the $ 200 synthetic changes with minimal mileage on the oil. Will I be ok with the 15W40 dino oil? I'm sure I will but just looking for others experience with 15W40 and heavy towing in the heat. Thank you.

$200 for a synthetic change is ridiculous. I can do my own changes for $75 using T6 5w40 & and a Donaldson DBL filter. That's normal pricing without sales and rebates.

Pick any approved oil of the Ford list, grab a Motor Craft or Donaldson filter and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Yep. Go to Walmart and buy the Motorcraft 15w40 that's on "The List".

Haha yes Ford and their infamous list! I'm thinking the 15W40 will be fine as it still gets changed more than normal. The oil temps when towing in 90+ degree weather run 205-215 on both the 5W40 and the 15W40 so I don't think I'm over working the oil at all. The 15W40 sure is cheaper and like you said, it's Ford approved. The oil cap and the owners manual do say 5W40 when under severe service though, that's why I'm asking.

Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Good morning BITOG! Long time member here but haven't posted in awhile. Looking for some input on oil for a new 6.7 F350 dually. I tow a 42ft 16500 pound fifth wheel with it. Mostly tow around Texas so no big hills. The truck is a tow vehicle only so no daily stop n go driving. It's a year old with 4500 miles. I want to stick with Motorcraft oil for personal reasons. I have used the MC 5W40 synthetic for the last year but switched to the MC 15W40 on the last change. The OLM drops like a rock with all the sitting that the truck does so I hated the $ 200 synthetic changes with minimal mileage on the oil. Will I be ok with the 15W40 dino oil? I'm sure I will but just looking for others experience with 15W40 and heavy towing in the heat. Thank you.

I'm a long haul Owner Operator truck driver, so my application is quite different than yours, but I think 15W40 conventional HDEO will do a very job for you. Motorcraft is a Conoco Phillips oil, and IMO they produce excellent lubricants.

I'm familiar with their products. I'm currently running 15W40 Phillips 66 Fleet Supreme EC in my motor, which I assume is very similar to the Motorcraft 15W40, and it's done a really good job inside my motor.

I typically run Phillips 66 Guardol ECT semi-synthetic, but I didn't make it home to stock up. I found a Distributor on the road, who only had Fleet Supreme EC 15W40 on hand, so I decided to give it a try. I haven't ran a UOA on it yet, but I've had zero consumption, and my oil pressure, and oil temperature readings are unchanged from the Guardol ECT.

I've compared UOAs on Guardol ECT to UOAs when I used Mobil Delvac Super 15W40 and Delvac Elite 10W30 CJ4, and Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W40 CJ4, and Chevron Delo 400 SDE 15W40 CK4, and Delo XLE 10W30 CJ4 and CK4, and Phillips 66 Guardol ECT gave me slightly better wear numbers than Delo and Delvac.

Not to say the numbers the Delvac or Delo were bad in any way, in fact both did a great job. But the Guardol showed a smidge better numbers, and my local Phillips 66 Distributor, and a Distributor that I buy from when I'm going through Idaho both regularly beat Walmart's prices on Delo products.

In my opinion, Conoco Phillips HDEOs are a real sleeper.

I used Valvoline 5w40 in mine but recently switched to Valvoline 15w40. I tow quite a bit as well and I have been happy with both. I have some uoa posted in the uoa section if you are interested.

We have several 6.7s in our fleet and all we run is 15w40 bulk. We have had 3 engines so far with over 20,000 hours on them. 1 is still going.

Originally Posted by mattd
We have several 6.7s in our fleet and all we run is 15w40 bulk. We have had 3 engines so far with over 20,000 hours on them. 1 is still going.

Wow that is impressive and good to hear. Mine is at like 130 hours with 4500 miles lol. Guess I got a ways to go yet!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Do you need a cdl to pull that much weight? You do here.

I actually am close. Truck and trailer are 25600 pounds combined. Supposedly in Texas if you're over 26K you need a non commercial class A CDL license. I am working on the process to get one just to be safe.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Everyone says that, but ever since I put CK-4 in my truck it's been a touch more clattery.

What engine are you running CK4 oil in? I can't say I've noticed a difference in engine sound going from CJ4 to CK4. And also no difference between Delvac, Delo or Phillips 66 oils.

But bear in mind I've been an electric bassist since 1976. Playing in loud bands, and working in noisy environments for better than 35 years. My hearing today is by no means what is was way back when.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by SAJEFFC

I just thought I'd say I tow an approx. 26k 5th wheel, GCVW of around 35k, in the heat and cold, lots of hills, with my '17 RAM Dually, with Rotella 15w40.

I know it's a different truck, and more weight, But I suspect your choice of oil won't matter at all.

I was shocked when I rode with our driver in our Mule (2016 ram 3500 6.7 230k with all emission stuff) we were pulling a light load no more than 20k lbs combined but the load was practically a 12x8 foot wall. We were going up an 8% grade @55 mph for 5 miles oil temp reached 251° and coolant temps reached 245°, i thought that was insane temps but after reading the owners manual and several forums it seem that's "normal" for these engines when worked hard.
A bit hot for my taste, but with good oil it seems the truck is doing great.

Run what ever is on sale. I have a small fleet of three trucks and thats all I do. From carquest 15w40 to t6 0w40 to now delvac 15w40. These motors don't much care especially at 5k mile changes.
About to add a 2019 kenworth t680 with a paccar and it will get the same treatment but with 20k mile changes. Book says 75k over the road. I cant see my self pushing it that much.

Back