2019/20 Tahoes

take one for a test drive. i have nothing against Tahoes, my boss has had 3 Yukon’s and we’ve wrenched on all of them. He did have a camshaft failure on his late model xl, and complications led to a full reman engine. One thing that struck me is that the steering wheels are not centered to the driver seat. I know a lot more vehicles do this than we realize, but I notice it. If the RRs are centered, I’d just say to make a note of it so you’re not later surprised by it. I think my f150 is off every so slightly but it’s not as much.

My 2016 Tahoe LT has 98K miles. Bought it brand new. Besides the A/C Condenser [which GM covered] nothing but plain old regular service every 5K miles. Still have the original brakes but was told by next service it will definitely need rear brakes. Leather is still perfect.

I wouldn't trust the leather on a Tahoe to last for several years. A co-worker has a late model Tahoe, maybe a 2010-2012, and the leather on the bottom portion of the driver's seat is totally destroyed to the point that the foam is coming out of it. The co-worker daily drives their Tahoe, and is not overweight or anything of the sort. The seat just didn't hold up.

Have you looked at a Toyota Sequoia
It simply will not............I have a "thin spot" on my 2018 Silverado on the leather. It has 33,000 miles-dealer said "it's normal wear". Well yea right-it's the last GM truck I will buy. So there will be two on my "never gain list"-Anything GM and Subaru.

Again-the truck had a list price of $54,000.00

Wheel base it too small to tow 7,000 pounds safely. There is more to it than "tow rating".
Car makers downrate tow rating in the U.S. out of liability reasons. It's rated to tow 7,716 lbs here so it's perfectly safe up to that weight, assuming the trailer has brakes. Probably no worse than when I towed this Cadillac with my 4 cylinder short wheelbase Ranger some time back.

large.jpg

Car makers downrate tow rating in the U.S. out of liability reasons. It's rated to tow 7,716 lbs here so it's perfectly safe up to that weight, assuming the trailer has brakes. Probably no worse than when I towed this Cadillac with my 4 cylinder short wheelbase Ranger some time back.

large.jpg

Here is the situation-with many half-tons, and the vehicle in question (the VW) you are going to be over payload before MAXMIMUM TOWING CAPABILITY. With what you have pictured above-it's a concept you don't understand.

Here is the situation-with many half-tons, and the vehicle in question (the VW) you are going to be over payload before MAXMIMUM TOWING CAPABILITY. With what you have pictured above-it's a concept you don't understand.
Isn't the payload capacity of a half-ton, 1,000 pounds? The tongue weight of a 7,500 pound trailer is theoretically 750 pounds. How is that over payload?

Isn't the payload capacity of a half-ton, 1,000 pounds? The tongue weight of a 7,500 pound trailer is theoretically 750 pounds. How is that over payload?

Sorry-there is plenty of info on the Internet...I'm not explaining it again.

"Many" half tons are past 1k. But how much past? Mine is something like 1,240lb (off the top of my head). Towing capacity is spec'd these days with a 150lb driver, maybe a second 150lb passenger and a full tank of gas--and nothing else. But payload is just that, GVWR minus curb. So in my case, 1,240 minus your theoretical 750lb leaves me with about 500lb left for people, snacks, running boards and the like (and that's ignoring any contribution of a weight distributing hitch).

Now, working backwards, let's say I toss my family into my half ton. Let's lie and say we all weigh a combined 500 pounds. I've got running boards and a topper (camper shell, cap, whatever you want to call), so call that another 250lb. Throw in some bikes and junk for another 100. So that's 850lb towards my 1,240lb max, leaving me 390lb for hitch weight. For a max towing capacity of... 3,900lb. Against an advertised 7,900lb max towing.

Oops.

Now, one does wonder about this. I'm sure "many" have gone way past payload without worry, and there are no special police pulling over non-commercial vehicles for going past payload or towing, or just exceeding the math above slightly. Gross violations? sure. There is much internet argument over this. Up to you to decide if you want to take it to heart or to ignore. The math is pretty simple.

"Many" half tons are past 1k. But how much past? Mine is something like 1,240lb (off the top of my head). Towing capacity is spec'd these days with a 150lb driver, maybe a second 150lb passenger and a full tank of gas--and nothing else. But payload is just that, GVWR minus curb. So in my case, 1,240 minus your theoretical 750lb leaves me with about 500lb left for people, snacks, running boards and the like (and that's ignoring any contribution of a weight distributing hitch).

Now, working backwards, let's say I toss my family into my half ton. Let's lie and say we all weigh a combined 500 pounds. I've got running boards and a topper (camper shell, cap, whatever you want to call), so call that another 250lb. Throw in some bikes and junk for another 100. So that's 850lb towards my 1,240lb max, leaving me 390lb for hitch weight. For a max towing capacity of... 3,900lb. Against an advertised 7,900lb max towing.

Oops.

Now, one does wonder about this. I'm sure "many" have gone way past payload without worry, and there are no special police pulling over non-commercial vehicles for going past payload or towing, or just exceeding the math above slightly. Gross violations? sure. There is much internet argument over this. Up to you to decide if you want to take it to heart or to ignore. The math is pretty simple.

Thank you...that's a good explanation. I was just tired of explaining it.

Now, working backwards, let's say I toss my family into my half ton. Let's lie and say we all weigh a combined 500 pounds. I've got running boards and a topper (camper shell, cap, whatever you want to call), so call that another 250lb. Throw in some bikes and junk for another 100.
You're throwing in theoretical assumptions on what someone will carry beyond the driver. (Don't forget to bring along the 300 pound weight lifting set.) I think most people know simple addition and understand how it reduces payload capacity. So instead of stuffing all the extra items in the vehicle, put it in the trailer, then you're not increasing the payload. And not everybody had a cap or running boards, nor makes a trip with the whole family, but for the sake of argument, if they do, and they and driver add 500 pounds, you are still within your 1250 pound rating. Besides, I can't imagine a few hundred pounds in a combined weight of over 13,000 pounds would matter.

You're throwing in theoretical assumptions on what someone will carry beyond the driver. (Don't forget to bring along the 300 pound weight lifting set.) I think most people know simple addition and understand how it reduces payload capacity. So instead of stuffing all the extra items in the vehicle, put it in the trailer, then you're not increasing the payload. And not everybody had a cap or running boards, nor makes a trip with the whole family, but for the sake of argument, if they do, and they and driver add 500 pounds, you are still within your 1250 pound rating. Besides, I can't imagine a few hundred pounds in a combined weight of over 13,000 pounds would matter.
Yes, they are theoretical. But they are often discussed, and quite frankly CKN has a point. Unless if one does the math, one is tempted to go by the ads. I recall doing out the work and there were a few models, want to say minivans, which would allow max towing while at max GVWR--their GCWR was GVWR plus max towing, which is something that seems rare (if not ever?) for half tons. Lots of swagger in them ads. Buyer beware, especially if they are unaware of such things. The well versed buyer knows these things and shops accordingly.

Not disagreeing with you about a few hundred pounds here or there, some of this is hand wringing. It's still good to understand though.

Reactions: CKN
Yes, they are theoretical. But they are often discussed, and quite frankly CKN has a point. Unless if one does the math, one is tempted to go by the ads. I recall doing out the work and there were a few models, want to say minivans, which would allow max towing while at max GVWR--their GCWR was GVWR plus max towing, which is something that seems rare (if not ever?) for half tons. Lots of swagger in them ads. Buyer beware, especially if they are unaware of such things. The well versed buyer knows these things and shops accordingly.

Not disagreeing with you about a few hundred pounds here or there, some of this is hand wringing. It's still good to understand though.
Supton-the issue being on these threads is that you have NON-TOWERS who are making the argument. Anybody that tows any amounts-knows EXACTLY what you are talking about.

The new design 2021 looks to be nice.
They are attractive, but the interiors are disappointing. Drove one today. Drove fine, rather isolating feel but fine, good seating position, but the interior design and materials seemed to remind me of every rental car I've had. Adequate, but not at its price level. The Tahoe and Suburban will be available in a diesel though, that is a plus.

Decent overall.

I would pass on the 3.0 diesel at least for a few years. It has a rubber belt that runs the oil pump and its between the block and transmission. Who knows what other dumb decisions they made on it? Based on my math and 100k of driving it might save your 3-4k on fuel vs the glorious 6.2.

So you did not like the new interior but the old gen you do? I have to say they are rather plain. At least my 2016 sierra slt is. Durable and plain. Very minor driver seat wear at 79k miles. At least with GM you can buy the seat cover and cushions later for a reasonable cost.

If i needed a 3 row, it seems like i would be considering the Durango SRT 392 and a yukon denali. I also like the Toyota Land Cruiser but they are well and truly overpriced now that they announced its end in the USA. Give me a big n/a v8 and i am happy.

Back