2018 Subaru Forester

The Fram look up guide shows the 2.0 turbo and a 2.5 nonturbo use the same oil filter. Does this sound right? Are they interchangeable?

Yes, they use the same filter. However, the Fram 7317 doesn't use the correct bypass for Subaru. That's right, Fram is the OE supplier and makes the Subaru OEM oil filters, but they don't offer aftermarket filters with the Subaru-spec bypass :unsure:

Instead, get the Wix 57055 or 57055XP. Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $7.49 and is the same as Wix XP. Napa part #47055

Yes, they use the same filter. However, the Fram 7317 doesn't use the correct bypass for Subaru. That's right, Fram is the OE supplier and makes the Subaru OEM oil filters, but they don't offer aftermarket filters with the Subaru-spec bypass :unsure:

Instead, get the Wix 57055 or 57055XP. Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $7.49 and is the same as Wix XP. Napa part #47055

Do you really need to turn this into another bypass thread? The OP asked about the Fram 7317 series filters, not to be scared into believing in stories about some bypass boogeyman.

I apologise @VQLT but every Subaru oil filter thread on BITOG inevitably has someone that tries to convince others that an oil filter MUST have at least a 23psi bypass spec to function properly on a Subaru engine.

If the bypass is important to you just use an oil filter from Wix, Napa, or Purolator (or the OEM).

If it is not, and it should not be, yes you are fine using any Fram 7317 series oil filter.

Here is some reading on the bypass subject if you are interested:

Thanks. I wasn’t worried about the bypass rating until it was mentioned in the thread. I won’t let it enter my decision making. Glad I can use the fram 7317

It’s strange that other filter manufacturers do not show them as being interchangeable but Fram List the same number for both engines

Thanks. I wasn’t worried about the bypass rating until it was mentioned in the thread. I won’t let it enter my decision making. Glad I can use the fram 7317

I've run Fram EGs my last two changes on a 17 Forester, 7317s. Everything sounds fine on cold startup. For $3.88 it's a steal. It's all I'll be using from now on for that regular price. But I used to run Quaker State $1.99 filters on my Civic for 5-7k. So that says a lot about me.

I just bought a case of 12 - 15208AA15A off of Amazon from SubaruPartsOnline. With tax it ended up being about $6.38 per filter. I can use on both of my Subarus, the 2.5 and 2.0 non turbo. That will last me 3 years; 2 oil changes per year, per car. The only other filter I have experience with on the Subarus is the Amsoil. I can't say I notice a difference but for warranty and price the Subaru filters make more sense plus the fact that I am barely driving having a "higher end" filter for low miles isn't making sense at the moment.

It seems to boil down to what the car owner “thinks and feels” , versus what Fram does and Subaru does. I tend to be on the side of trusting the ones at Subaru. If I had a Subaru which I almost did but don’t. 😀

It seems to boil down to what the car owner “thinks and feels” , versus what Fram does and Subaru does. I tend to be on the side of trusting the ones at Subaru. If I had a Subaru which I almost did but don’t. 😀

This is a commonly repeated trope. Subaru built the engine but Fram built the oil filter in question to accommodate Subaru. When Fram has communicated that their universal oil filters exceed the performance expectations of the OEM oil filter they built for Subaru I would tend to trust Fram.

In fact I would like to hear from someone at Subaru specifically that discourages the usage of a non-OEM oil filter. The only people I have ever heard any discouragement from are dealership staff who have an interest in selling parts out of their dealerships and people on the internet who are scared of the bypass boogeyman 👻

If you are in the United States you are protected by federal law when it comes to warranties and the usage of non-OEM oil filters:

Well kind of. The paragraph below from this FTC article ( https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance ) makes it clear that if the aftermarket part was installed wrong or defective and caused and engine to blow-up for instance, then the car manufacturer can deny the warranty.

" Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. "

Well kind of. The paragraph below from this FTC article ( https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance ) makes it clear that if the aftermarket part was installed wrong or defective and caused and engine to blow-up for instance, then the car manufacturer can deny the warranty.

" Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. "

Then it would boil down to a Fram vs. Fram argument, OEM product vs. universal product.

I will be using Fram as there is a special oil filter exchange in my area so it is free. just wanted to make sure I had the right part #. looks like the same filter for 2.5 non-turbo and 2.0 turbo. Thanks for all the assistance

does anyone know if STP uses the same number system as Fram? is an STP S7317 the same as Fram PH7317?

Then it would boil down to a Fram vs. Fram argument, OEM product vs. universal product.
If the aftermarket oil filter was determined by the dealership to be the actual cause of the engine failure/damage, then the car manufacturer could deny the factory warranty (as the FTC article says) and make the guy go after Fram or whosoever's oil filter caused the damage.

If it was an OEM filter (made by Fram) vs Fram aftermarket, and the OEM failed it would be handled by the OEM side ... but yeah, who knows, it's possible they could try to ding Fram for it if Fram made the oil filter for them, depending on their relationship and agreement on OEM filters that cause damage.

does anyone know if STP uses the same number system as Fram? is an STP S7317 the same as Fram PH7317?

Yes, they use the same numbering system. Most cheap economy oil and air filters will use one of three numbering systems: Fram, Wix, or Purolator's numbering system. However, this DOES NOT mean the filter is made by the same company they copy the part number from. For example, that STP isn't made by Fram.

So yes, your STP S7317 fits the same cars a Fram PH7317 fits

Also, consolidation is common with cheap jobber filters. For example, the 7317 is often consolidated with the tiny 6607 :mad:

Back