2018 sport glide 20w50 valvoline mc syn K&P filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
moved to oregon so, longer rides. been colder than I had in hawaii to so, I was concerned about fuel and moisture. Blackstone said it looks ok, but the flash point is down a little. 20W50 valvoline synthetic. K&P stainless oil filter. temps have been in the 30s and 40s lately. ride 6-11 mile trips to work. one trip 120miles round trip

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited:
TBN of 4.8 after 1600 miles? Mobil 1 20w50 and Mobil 1 10w40 4T were each in the mid 6 range for TBN after 5000 miles in my ZRX 1200.

If you run that out to 4,000-5,000 miles how's that going read for a TBN? If a guy wasn't doing analysis and it's dropping fast, he could run this oil too long possibly even though it's in the recommended range for many motorcycles.

I realize oils start with different TBN however just wondering how that's going to hold up down the road.

Originally Posted by Bonz
TBN of 4.8 after 1600 miles? Mobil 1 20w50 and Mobil 1 10w40 4T were each in the mid 6 range for TBN after 5000 miles in my ZRX 1200.

If you run that out to 4,000-5,000 miles how's that going read for a TBN? If a guy wasn't doing analysis and it's dropping fast, he could run this oil too long possibly even though it's in the recommended range for many motorcycles.

I realize oils start with different TBN however just wondering how that's going to hold up down the road.

1,600 miles and 6 months. I ride more now then I used to, but I still won't hit 5000 miles a year. First change was 1500 miles and one year

Last edited:
Great Report!
I cant even imagine it being any better on an HD engine with such low miles. Yes, it can be a little dicey with such low mileage on oil changes, its hard to compare meaning if you had 3000/4000 miles on the oil it doesnt mean the wear numbers would be double or even close.

You have nothing to be concerned about nor not much to compare too. If your concerned about fuel/flash point, its most likely because the oil was not scorching hand burning hot when you changed it.
More or less this will happen with the temps you ride in and honestly is higher temperatures too.

Last edited:
Even after 11 miles the oil in the sump was only warm. Took a while to pump it out with the vac pump. I'm also used to pumping out 5w30 not 20w50

^^ Yes I figured that and why in those situations you can completely ignore the flashpoint and viscosity on the oil report.
The oil doesnt get hot enough to evaporate the fuel from the oil and more rich fuel mixture in the cold environment, 11 miles isnt enough in those temps.

Its a really good UOA, new bike/engine and metals numbers are significantly lower from the first UOA, reasonable to expect this to continue lower in future changes and most likely level out in the 10,000 mile range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back